Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 13, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #526 of 7,695
I don't get why so many people are obsessed with trying out ear pads from different sources when Meze will send you new larger pads free in the near future. These I am sure will have been optimised for fit and sound quality so why would you imagine you can do it yourself??? I mean I just asking the question and no disrespect is intended.

I am leaving on a 4 month trip in 10 days. as it is they are too uncomfortable for me. most likely they will not come along. the HD800's are tough to travel with.

May 14, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #528 of 7,695

Well... Everything you said about Brainwavz Earpads is true...except these do not fit to the 99 classics...like...at all!

The only way is to put it over the woodcup, what is bring terrible design and poor isolation...

I did not experience this issue at all, if that was the case then I wouldn't have bothered posting my feedback on here. Maybe you are using a different size pad but certainly the ones I have fit perfectly on the 99 Classics, as these pictures show...

May 14, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #529 of 7,695
  the brainwaves pads do fit the 99's. need to mess with it a bit. Meze's pads will be voiced better of course.

curious about brainwaves hybrid now.

I posted pix of the brainwavz hybrid fitted to the 99:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794593/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread/420#post_12544299

May 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #530 of 7,695
They leak on the lower side of moderate. They do almost nothing for isolation. Try the b&w p7 or oppo pm-3 for isolation, and low levels of leaking.
Your provision of data is likely exclusive to your own head. Your opinion comes from your extensive testing and what else? You don't sell Meze so you don't have anything good to say but B&W sells to nearly anyone, including you, right? Deliver an opinion based on facts not arrogance and poor sales techniques!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #531 of 7,695
Your provision of data is likely exclusive to your own head. Your opinion comes from your extensive testing and what else? You don't sell Meze so you don't have anything good to say but B&W sells to nearly anyone, including you, right? Deliver an opinion based on facts not arrogance and poor sales techniques!

That was a little aggressive...

May 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #532 of 7,695

May 14, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #533 of 7,695
seriously buddy, I don't care that much, it's just my opinion. I own all three, and they are all good. I have always dreamed of opening my own headphone store, and then spending all my time talking bad about the brands I don't carry on head-fi. Maybe your post will inspire me to follow through with those dreams! Oh ya, one last thing, I left a really nice review for your store on Google.

May 15, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #534 of 7,695
Well for the sake of science (and insatiable curiosity), I went ahead and ordered a pair of these pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463286912&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+pads

These are the hybrid version of the Brainwavz leather pads with velour lining and a pleather ring inside. 

I'm a bit short on time and before I do a full review of this AMAZING headset I'm going to give you a little short list on observations:

- YES! They fit without an issue. They don't even shift around!
- They give generous amounts of room for the sound to play around in between your ears and the drivers
- The pads are twice the depth of the stock pads. 
- Further away from the driver means you get more "sound stage" while sacrificing some of the midrange. 
- At least the midrange is still there - clear and present unlike the Beyer pads I tried. It just took a back seat.
- You need some foam filters inside the pads or else the treble takes a sharp turn up - almost piercing! 

We all love the balance of the lows, mids, and highs. It seems that the pads do actually do a LOT to make the sound that makes these headphones great. Midrange sounds best to me when the ear is closer to the driver. I'll try to report back in about two days after I've flattened the pads a bit. Yes...you read that right. I'm going to attempt to flatten these suckers down and see what that does.

May 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #535 of 7,695
   What I did was use craft foam and made a frame so that the pads were still round but there was no gaps whatsoever. In all honesty, after trying the beyerdynamic pads the 99's reminded me of a V-shaped DT770. Bass was greatly increased, kind of 'fat' like my old DT770 Pros. The treble gained more air and sounded, again, like a DT770 meaning the response became very brittle. Midrange....what midrange? I was flabbergasted at how much the mids became recessed to the point of non-existence. If the mids remained somewhat intact, from what my memory recalls, the 99 Classics with the velour beyer pads sounded very much like a DT770.

L3000.gif

I kinda always wondered what the Byers sounded like. I know a guy in my college classes a few years back loved those (or were they the 880s?) and he did a lot of remixing with those.

May 15, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #536 of 7,695
How do these fare with Dark Ambient, like Lustmord to stuff like Bohren & Der Club of Gore, and prog, like king crimson, camel etc?  I saw them mentioned by several people in the metal thread but would be looking for an all purpose can that can do that stuff, as well as some classical and jazz

May 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #538 of 7,695
Fun fact - the good folks at Meze have loaned me a pair of 99 Classics so I can decide whether to carry them or not. (Thanks, Meze!) Right now, I'm killing some time by jumping into the forums here while a customer auditions the Meze vs Sennheiser Momentum 2 vs Master & Dynamic MH40.  He must like all three, because he keeps swapping them on and off to listen to the same tracks.  I will not be letting you know the eventual winner, because only your ears can decide that!

May 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #539 of 7,695
The Brainwavz are likely an okay fit, but I can live with with the pseudo-over ear cups it came with until the larger ones begin shipping. I trust Meze to provide a solution that is (a) stylish, (b) comfortable, and (c) maintains that beautiful audio signature.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy a headphone like the 99's with the intent to start patching together odd bits and pieces that sink the whole point of having a pair that looks as great as these do. If I had unlimited funds to buy a junk pair, maybe then I'd take a Dremel and start carving holes in the cups experimenting with soundstage, but until then that's what Grado is for  
tongue.gif

gs1000.gif

Quote:

I'll cut you some slack for maybe having a bad hair day, but geez man....

May 16, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #540 of 7,695
  Fun fact - the good folks at Meze have loaned me a pair of 99 Classics so I can decide whether to carry them or not. (Thanks, Meze!) Right now, I'm killing some time by jumping into the forums here while a customer auditions the Meze vs Sennheiser Momentum 2 vs Master & Dynamic MH40.  He must like all three, because he keeps swapping them on and off to listen to the same tracks.  I will not be letting you know the eventual winner, because only your ears can decide that!

That's great... I preferred the Meze hands down to my 1st gen Momentum. I remember enjoying the M&D from a brief audition, too but I have a soft spot for the Meze...the sound is addictive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back