Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,381 of 7,697
I'm really considering ordering a pair of 99 Classics right after Christmas.  Of all the reviews I've read and stuff I've seen they really seem like they might be a good, fun second pair of phones.

For everyday and gaming use I have a set of open back Sony MA900's that are extremely comfortable and easy to listen to.  Still, I find myself wanting a nice set of headphones that are punchier, snappier and a bit more aggressive in the sound department for certain things.  Plus, the looks of the 99 Classics is just to die for.

I'm trying to be rational and calm and not press that "Buy" button until I see how my funds look post Holiday but it isn't easy.  I really might be a Meze 99 Classics owner quite soon.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,383 of 7,697
I'm really considering ordering a pair of 99 Classics right after Christmas.  Of all the reviews I've read and stuff I've seen they really seem like they might be a good, fun second pair of phones.

For everyday and gaming use I have a set of open back Sony MA900's that are extremely comfortable and easy to listen to.  Still, I find myself wanting a nice set of headphones that are punchier, snappier and a bit more aggressive in the sound department for certain things.  Plus, the looks of the 99 Classics is just to die for.

I'm trying to be rational and calm and not press that "Buy" button until I see how my funds look post Holiday but it isn't easy.  I really might be a Meze 99 Classics owner quite soon.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,386 of 7,697
Does anyone else get sound resonating through the cups if you bump the metal bands, or adjust them on your head?  The strap seems to make noise when I move my head side to side, too.

That's a yes on bumping the metal bands. Don't recall the strap or merely adjusting them causing issues, though.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,387 of 7,697
That's a yes on bumping the metal bands. Don't recall the strap or merely adjusting them causing issues, though.

Does anyone else get sound resonating through the cups if you bump the metal bands, or adjust them on your head?  The strap seems to make noise when I move my head side to side, too.

Mine does this when as it settles in. However, after it readjusts itself it doesn't make anymore noise. If it is making noise literally every single time you shake your head, regardless of the number of times in a row you are shaking it them maybe its time to contact Meze support.

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,388 of 7,697

I've left mine running on pink noise out of my iPad for a few days. Usefully the case is quite noise-isolating. 
wink.gif

The sound seems a bit better now - less of a shock going from my HD800s to them.  

I've recommended larger earpads and a 6.5mm cable set, as I'm not sure that the slight congestion in the sound isn't just a lack of space around my ears. They are somewhat large for portable headphones.

that ought to be a huge difference in sound, about as different as can be. 

I should probably clarify a bit more: Going from the HD800s to the Meze is going down in resolution, which can feel unpleasant if the switch is done immediately. It didn't feel so bad switching to the 99's after they'd had a few days on pink noise, which is a good thing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,389 of 7,697

I've left mine running on pink noise out of my iPad for a few days. Usefully the case is quite noise-isolating. 
wink.gif

The sound seems a bit better now - less of a shock going from my HD800s to them.  

I've recommended larger earpads and a 6.5mm cable set, as I'm not sure that the slight congestion in the sound isn't just a lack of space around my ears. They are somewhat large for portable headphones.

that ought to be a huge difference in sound, about as different as can be. 

I should probably clarify a bit more: Going from the HD800s to the Meze is going down in resolution, which can feel unpleasant if the switch is done immediately. It didn't feel so bad switching to the 99's after they'd had a few days on pink noise, which is a good thing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,391 of 7,697
Very curious about the 99 classics.... have been a sennheiser momentum fan. Are these similar or even better than the over ear momentums in terms of balance and resolution? Build quality? Sound signature is similar?

The pads are more similar to the one on the m2 or m1? I had problems with the m1's fit but the m2's have been fine for me so far....

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,392 of 7,697
Very curious about the 99 classics.... have been a sennheiser momentum fan. Are these similar or even better than the over ear momentums in terms of balance and resolution? Build quality? Sound signature is similar?

The pads are more similar to the one on the m2 or m1? I had problems with the m1's fit but the m2's have been fine for me so far....

Innerfidelity did a comparison on their review of the 99 classics. Here's a link:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meze-99-classics-very-fun-very-tasty#2t8UXfV8VhsxoBqI.97

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,394 of 7,697
I know. but i wanted some more impressions from previous momentum users....

Thank you though....
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the m1 almost 2 years ago, can't say much bout the m2 though, but for me the meze is definitely a better headphone compared to m1, sound sig is quite similar imo, north of neutral bass with controlled treble and mids, I think the meze still has more bass.
the reason that I sold the m1 was because it's mids is not as good as I like, at that time i'm still using pm-3 though which has excellent mids, but the meze is fine for me in the mids although I still think that pm-3 is still better in that regard.

pads is more similar to m2, the m1 is on-ear for me.

build quality is similar for me, both use quality material, however the wood on the meze needs more extra care on your end compared to plastic.

hope this helps ^_^

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #1,395 of 7,697
Hi everyone! I'm strongly considering the 99 classics as my next purchase but I have big ears and a big head; did anyone ever find new, deeper pads that will work for these? If people with small ears had trouble getting a good fit there's absolutely no way they'll fit me... I saw the 64mm option vs the 62mm option but 2mm is not enough for me I think.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back