Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #107 of 7,704
If I were able to pick up a pair of HD650 and Meze 99 for around the same price used, which would be the better option.  Also while taking which is the better phone into consideration, would i also have to pick up an amplifier to get the most out of the HD650 or would i be fine without one on my desktop.  And if i did want to get an amplifier, would the hd650 still be a better deal for the money with the cost of an amplifier as well.

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #108 of 7,704
  If I were able to pick up a pair of HD650 and Meze 99 for around the same price used, which would be the better option.  Also while taking which is the better phone into consideration, would i also have to pick up an amplifier to get the most out of the HD650 or would i be fine without one on my desktop.  And if i did want to get an amplifier, would the hd650 still be a better deal for the money with the cost of an amplifier as well.

I don't think anyone can answer you this. First: either headphone is vastly different one from another. The HD650 is a warmish mid-bounding open headphone; the 99 Classics is more equitable with clearer highs and is closed. 

It would be fairer to ask whether you should choose a DT770 or a 99 Classics, or a DT880 or a HD650. You simply won't use the HD650 outside while the 99 Classics both scales to portable equipment well, and seals outside noise very well. If it was all about sound, you have two basic choices: warm or punchy/cool? But I argue that price regardless it is silly to choose one over the other as neither is made for the same market segment. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #109 of 7,704
Good points and thank you for your reply.  I've wanted a pair of HD650 for a while but after i saw the meze headphones and the good reviews they were getting, i got quite interested in getting a pair.  As i have a pair of headphones that i use with portable equipment, i would most likely be using the headphones at home, at my desk.  Which is where my dilema is, get another pair of warm headphones that i can use on the go for a cheaper price, or a pair that is mainly for home use that i will have to save up a bit more for.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #110 of 7,704
When i get the funds, i will buy this headphone. The price is good
I want to know one thing more. How is the sound leakage at medium-high to high volumes?

Thanks in advance

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #111 of 7,704
I want to know one thing more. How is the sound leakage at medium-high to high volumes?

Thanks in advance

How do you define 'medium-high'? This is a sensitive headphone, so a volume of about 50% from an iPhone is LOUD _for me_. It may not be for you. But leakage isn't a problem. It leaks more than a drummer's headphone, but for a hi-fi headphone, it is about as solidly sealed as I've used.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #112 of 7,704
  Hi MezeTeam, i want to know if the earpads and headpad are of real leathers or not, and i want to know what is PU leather?
Thank you very much

P.S: i am a vegan

you will be pleased to hear that it is not real leather but the wood is indeed real wood :wink:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #113 of 7,704
The sound at 80-85 db more or less
Quote:

How do you define 'medium-high'? This is a sensitive headphone, so a volume of about 50% from an iPhone is LOUD _for me_. It may not be for you. But leakage isn't a problem. It leaks more than a drummer's headphone, but for a hi-fi headphone, it is about as solidly sealed as I've used.

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #115 of 7,704

Thanks in advance

I have been burning mine in by sitting them on the box they came in with the cups resting on either side of the box
Using the Brandenburg Concertos by Bach, the music volume has been a bit higher than comfortable listening level
I can >just, barely< hear the music but only during the loudest sections
Unless you are listening to something like thrash metal at loud levels its unlikely even in a quiet room someone
would be able to hear the music :)
In other words - superb isolation

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #116 of 7,704
  i want to know what is PU leather?

Leather that smells bad.
biggrin.gif

These are damn good headphones. I've been wanting to do a little review but it's hard. It's like reviewing happiness.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #117 of 7,704

Leather that smells bad.
biggrin.gif

These are damn good headphones. I've been wanting to do a little review but it's hard. It's like reviewing happiness.

I hear ya. I am very close to finishing my review with only movie impressions and conclusion left, but when I started to watch the intro of Pacific Rim to take notes I ended up watching most of the movie before I realized " Oh yeah, review! ".  
tongue.gif

The 99 Classics do so much right that it's hard to not get drawn in to the sound.

beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #118 of 7,704
It reminds me of the original Grado SR225...sort of a closed version of that. Fun and toe-tapping.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #119 of 7,704
I want to know (a last thing). is if the drivers are resistant enough to use with my CKKIII amp [a bit stronger than O2 in standard gain (2.5x)] and in a somewhat weak source.
I said it because of the Maximum input power is so low; and my amp could damage the drivers.
I hope that i am not be wrong

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back