Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #6,826 of 7,682
I bought the SPC cable from Meze and using it with the DX160. While I agree that it does open more of the mids and highs, I do find it a little brighter than I like. Went back to the pure copper cable and seems more warm, as it should. I'm using it balanced with it terminated in 2.5. The SPC cable sounded better on my M5S and R3Pro. Maybe as they are darker sources and it evens out better? Cable rolling can be so subjective. Even my mood can change the outcome. I am glad I have both so I can go back and forth.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #6,827 of 7,682
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #6,828 of 7,682
No not only mobile
I see. I've looked at the prices and the devices shown in your signature and so far it's best for me to stick to my Fiio K5 Pro for desktop PC purely for my purposes.
But also the fact all of my devices are with 3.5mm.

I did order the silver plated 3.5mm though after I hear a difference between the T5p.2 and Amiron Home cables. The T5p.2 cable is the best quality cable.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #6,830 of 7,682
I would pick the latter if possible, it's more robust.
If only a lot of portable devices would support the 4.4mm... Who came up with that easily breakable connector??

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #6,831 of 7,682
Impressions from a new Meze 99 Classics customer:

I bought the Meze 99 Classics last week for a comp to the Sennheiser HD569. Yeah, I know at $309 (USD), it's twice the price of the HD569 ($149). But Good Lord, it has 20 times better sound.

The Meze 99 Classics aren't perfect. No one will mistake them for flat, clean, clinical cans. But holy hell, they're fun.

Bass is warm and rich, not bloated. Prominent, but doesn't crush the mids. The mids are luscious. Just lovely in tone. The treble is decent. Can form a small thicket of highs in busy, involved songs, but it rolls off just the right amount at the right time to avoid shrillness or listener fatigue.

One reviewer described the sound as "chocolatey." I like that. Solid metaphor.

This is a headphone that feels like the sum of very well designed and tuned parts. Nothing is extraordinary, but the balance of the sonic landscape is just sublime. These cans were designed for songs, not notes, tone ranges or adherence to some idolized frequency response curve.

Plus, the craftsmanship. I don't think there's a centimeter of plastic anywhere. The polished wood ear cups are exquisite. I got the silver instead of gold accents on the headband frame and cup supports, and it looks great. Reminds me of a polished fender on a 1957 Chevy.

The 99 Classics can be driven from a phone, no problem. They're 32 ohm impedance and a sensitivity in the low-to-mid 100s. I get more volume with these wired cans through the Apple DAC Dongle (what a piece of kit for $9) into my iPhone 12 than I do from my Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless ANC headphones. And way more volume than the Sennheiser PXC550-II wireless ANC travel cans.

One concern are the ear cups. They're snug for my medium-to-slightly large ears. My right ear also has cartilage that sticks out more than its compatriot in my left ear, and I'm getting a bit of discomfort there after about an hour. Hopefully break-in will help. If not, I'll pursue aftermarket pads. All suggestions welcome and appreciated!

The Meze Classics are the fun house of entry/mid-level audiophile closed-back cans. A real gem that I'm glad to have heard.

These cans had me jamming air guitar around my kitchen the day I received them. Not a pretty sight at age 55, but no effs given. I was livin', baby. Felt great, thanks to those Meze 99 Classics.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #6,832 of 7,682
Impressions from a new Meze 99 Classics customer:

I bought the Meze 99 Classics last week for a comp to the Sennheiser HD569. Yeah, I know at $309 (USD), it's twice the price of the HD569 ($149). But Good Lord, it has 20 times better sound.

The Meze 99 Classics aren't perfect. No one will mistake them for flat, clean, clinical cans. But holy hell, they're fun.

Bass is warm and rich, not bloated. Prominent, but doesn't crush the mids. The mids are luscious. Just lovely in tone. The treble is decent. Can form a small thicket of highs in busy, involved songs, but it rolls off just the right amount at the right time to avoid shrillness or listener fatigue.

One reviewer described the sound as "chocolatey." I like that. Solid metaphor.

This is a headphone that feels like the sum of very well designed and tuned parts. Nothing is extraordinary, but the balance of the sonic landscape is just sublime. These cans were designed for songs, not notes, tone ranges or adherence to some idolized frequency response curve.

Plus, the craftsmanship. I don't think there's a centimeter of plastic anywhere. The polished wood ear cups are exquisite. I got the silver instead of gold accents on the headband frame and cup supports, and it looks great. Reminds me of a polished fender on a 1957 Chevy.

The 99 Classics can be driven from a phone, no problem. They're 32 ohm impedance and a sensitivity in the low-to-mid 100s. I get more volume with these wired cans through the Apple DAC Dongle (what a piece of kit for $9) into my iPhone 12 than I do from my Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless ANC headphones. And way more volume than the Sennheiser PXC550-II wireless ANC travel cans.

One concern are the ear cups. They're snug for my medium-to-slightly large ears. My right ear also has cartilage that sticks out more than its compatriot in my left ear, and I'm getting a bit of discomfort there after about an hour. Hopefully break-in will help. If not, I'll pursue aftermarket pads. All suggestions welcome and appreciated!

The Meze Classics are the fun house of entry/mid-level audiophile closed-back cans. A real gem that I'm glad to have heard.

These cans had me jamming air guitar around my kitchen the day I received them. Not a pretty sight at age 55, but no effs given. I was livin', baby. Felt great, thanks to those Meze 99 Classics.

If you want a perfect headphone, maybe get the Empyrean instead

I will buy one one day for sure

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #6,835 of 7,682
If you want a perfect headphone, maybe get the Empyrean instead

I will buy one one day for sure

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Only for 10 times the price of the Meze 99 Classics! That's a dope good deal and if you don't like animals being killed, you can even ask Meze for vegan pads!
What a wonderfull and thoughtfull company, heart-touching... *sniff sniff*

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #6,836 of 7,682
Ok I just changed the pads for the dekonis

So they are noticably smaller, my ears fit just right in, but in comparison the original pads are more comfortable.

Sound wise the low end has less reverb, is more on point, less bloated bass

The highs are more present and thus the resolution seems to be better overall.

The downside is that I feel the pads get warm quicker than the stock pads

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #6,837 of 7,682
Only for 10 times the price of the Meze 99 Classics! That's a dope good deal and if you don't like animals being killed, you can even ask Meze for vegan pads!
What a wonderfull and thoughtfull company, heart-touching... *sniff sniff*
I mean 3000€ is not a bad deal, look at headphones like focal utopia, sennheiser he-1, abyss 1266 phi tc.

These are all more expensive than the Empyrean and I think the Empyrean has the chance to beat them all.

I am not sure about the abyss tho. These are incredible headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #6,838 of 7,682
I mean 3000€ is not a bad deal, look at headphones like focal utopia, sennheiser he-1, abyss 1266 phi tc.

These are all more expensive than the Empyrean and I think the Empyrean has the chance to beat them all.

I am not sure about the abyss tho. These are incredible headphones.
Ah yes, I get what you mean. However, every single person has their own opinions, preferences and requirements. The Utopia may be a very expensive headphone but a person might not like it. A headphone that costs €500 and other person loves it and it's their endgame. The price shouldn't be always a good indication on how good a headphone is.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #6,839 of 7,682
Ah yes, I get what you mean. However, every single person has their own opinions, preferences and requirements. The Utopia may be a very expensive headphone but a person might not like it. A headphone that costs €500 and other person loves it and it's their endgame. The price shouldn't be always a good indication on how good a headphone is.
Of course, I would advice anyone just get what you really like and can afford, no matter if you're fine with 300€ or 3000€ headphones.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #6,840 of 7,682
Of course, I would advice anyone just get what you really like and can afford, no matter if you're fine with 300€ or 3000€ headphones.
Exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back