Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #361 of 7,703
  LH Labs Geek Out V2. I like it better than the iDAC 2. I haven't heard the others, but have heard lots of good things about the Aune X1S. If you want flexibility, the DX80 has standalone DAC functionality, USB OTG, and 2 microSD slots for 400GB of microSD storage (I don't think it has onboard storage). With the dropping price of microSD chips, it's no biggie. It also has optical and coaxial out, so the connectivity is ballin'.

While we're on this topic, I have the Electric Avenues PA2V2 - that will power these sufficiently for my beginner ears, correct? Thanks!

Also - @MezeTeam  My pre-order for the walnut/silver just went through a bit ago. Looking forward to having them in my hands-- er, ears. :)

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #362 of 7,703
I'm using mine with my iBasso DX80 on low gain with absolutely no need for an amp, the sound is full and powerful enough.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #363 of 7,703
   " a few months back and noticed the banner on the side of the page and noticed a uniquely different striking looking pair of headphones "

Me too, but with Guru3D. A little black square with just the headphones that just screams "click me!".

beerchug.gif

P.S. Edit you 'Cons' because you spelt too, to.

The only time I do not find advertising banners obtrusive or a pain is when on Head-fi as they can be a revelation and the reason the wallet goes lighter once again! So yeah, would not have seen the Meze banner I would not of gone on this marvelous journey with the tour pair. 

Yes, thanks for pointing out the 'Cons', will get changed soon, I only wanted to change one word when it was spell checking but must of hit the change all button by mistake.  That will serve me right for trying to getting this posted at 1am in the morning!
Everyone: Read. This. Review. Now.

Excellent job, and I hope it makes the home page. One of the best reviews of the year so far, and not just because I agree with it.

biggrin.gif

Thankyou for the kind words, blushing a bit here! 

Was a pleasure to write up on, was made easier I ended up falling in love with it so was easy to write a bit on something you an enjoy but yet had to be fair and impartial to it's down falls which was not many anyway. I don't think any headphones is totally perfect is it?  

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #364 of 7,703

LH Labs Geek Out V2. I like it better than the iDAC 2. I haven't heard the others, but have heard lots of good things about the Aune X1S. If you want flexibility, the DX80 has standalone DAC functionality, USB OTG, and 2 microSD slots for 400GB of microSD storage (I don't think it has onboard storage). With the dropping price of microSD chips, it's no biggie. It also has optical and coaxial out, so the connectivity is ballin'.

While we're on this topic, I have the Electric Avenues PA2V2 - that will power these sufficiently for my beginner ears, correct? Thanks!

Also - @MezeTeam
  My pre-order for the walnut/silver just went through a bit ago. Looking forward to having them in my hands-- er, ears. :)
These need very little amping. You'd probably have no trouble out of an iPhone or comparable phone. I only pushed the Geek Out to about 20% on high gain if my memory serves, but they'll do well on low gain too.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #366 of 7,703
If the cable is a 4 conductor cable, it would simply be replacing the 3.5mm connector by soldering in a balanced connector.

Can anyone confirm the stock cable is 4 conductor? it should be as the hp has separate entry, but meze could go cheap and join the two L-/R- together at the junction.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #367 of 7,703
After reading numerous reviews of this, I've now ordered me a pair Walnut/Silver....wonder how long the wait will be......too long I guess:wink:

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #368 of 7,703
  After reading numerous reviews of this, I've now ordered me a pair Walnut/Silver....wonder how long the wait will be......too long I guess:wink:

The wait is always too long! 
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #369 of 7,703
Arg it has been a month, since I have demonstrated the amazing Meze 99 Classics, and I am still jonesing for them. If I do not get over them soon, I will have to pull the trigger and get them. Arg why does this great hobby labotomize rational thought from me brain. :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #371 of 7,703
These need very little amping. You'd probably have no trouble out of an iPhone or comparable phone. I only pushed the Geek Out to about 20% on high gain if my memory serves, but they'll do well on low gain too.

+1. I'm listening at 3/4 volume out of my smartphone. They sound better out of my Mojo, but I don't think expensive DAPs or portable amps are an absolute necessity.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #372 of 7,703
Arg it has been a month, since I have demonstrated the amazing Meze 99 Classics, and I am still jonesing for them. If I do not get over them soon, I will have to pull the trigger and get them. Arg why does this great hobby labotomize rational thought from me brain.
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel you reddog...I'm getting close to the trigger point myself. At least you have your Alpha Prime & PM3's to tide you over ( did you get the Ether "C" yet?...I'm not jealous ...really lol) I am really curious how the black version stacks up...if there are any sonic differences, and (if?) when it will be available...as well as the 77 Deco...argh! what are you doing to me @MezeTeam ?!?

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #373 of 7,703
I feel you reddog...I'm getting close to the trigger point myself. At least you have your Alpha Prime & PM3's to tide you over ( did you get the Ether "C" yet?...I'm not jealous ...really lol) I am really curious how the black version stacks up...if there are any sonic differences, and (if?) when it will be available...as well as the 77 Deco...argh! what are you doing to me @MezeTeam
?!?
I love my full size headphones ( HE1000, MrSpeaker's ETHER, ETHER C, Alpha PRIMES) but its nice to have a portable headphone.. The PM-3'S are wonderful, however the MEZE 99 Classics shocked me with its fun but detailed sound. But this year I do not have much of a budget for stuff. I hate medical bills lol. Please have a good day jamming out.:)

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #374 of 7,703
Any comparisons with the Denon MM400?
I'm looking for a nice portable wooden hp. I'm a sucker for wood.  
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #375 of 7,703
@reddog well said...I also hope you'll have a review for the Ether C. I'd love to save up for that one (please don't tell my wife
ksc75smile.gif
) That blows about the bills. Maybe you'll be the lucky winner at the end of the tour...good luck. you deserve it.

Rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back