Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #241 of 7,703
Density is a bit lacking though if compared to the likes of Senn Momentum over-ear.

Could you please elaborate what you mean by 'density'. 
confused.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #243 of 7,703
I just concluded about 40 hours of burn in, Meze recommended it. I was tired last night but I gave a small listen and I will say I am impressed so far with what I am hearing. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #244 of 7,703

I almost gave up on Canada Post delivering my 99 Classics on time yesterday as it was 4:30pm and heard no door-bell, but something told me to go down to the post-box and check for a delivery notice. Upon opening the door, I was greeted by not a failed delivery/pick-up notice rather a key to the big parcel box. I hastily opened up the larger box door and laughed out loud to myself; The lazy-cheeky postal worker saw that the box was an exact fit for the hold and was able to squeeze it in there with zero room to spare. I have small fingers so it was no problem to grab hold of the edges and pull it out. When I got the package inside and opened it up, my first thought was 'Damn they are cold!', followed by 'I wonder how long they were sitting in the box?'. Not an issue, I do live in Canada after all. Then my first impressions took a negative hit:

Bansaku,

How much were the fees for customs? I reside in Canada and want to avoid the FEDEX and UPS exorbitant fees they charge. Will buy if they still ship Postal Service

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #245 of 7,703

Bansaku,

How much were the fees for customs? I reside in Canada and want to avoid the FEDEX and UPS exorbitant fees they charge. Will buy if they still ship Postal Service

Thanks!

Fees, customs? Ever heard of NAFTA?
tongue.gif

(apologies if like always, Quebec gets the shaft)

They ship from the US, not Romania, therefore no taxes or tariffs. Canada Post has a partnership with USPS, and shipping fees for me to ship my tour pair to the US was $25 when the Loonie was $0.66.
edit: Canada post left the headphones in the mailbox, no signing, no fees.

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #246 of 7,703
To Currawong please...

. What synergies do you experience with the Soundwave (controlled warmth?) as paired with the Mojo (detail and "musicality"?, whatever that means, I own one) as experienced in the Meze (speakerish acoustical timbre?)

Soundwave seems to be such a well tuned DAP, I am surprised anyone felt the need to add a Mojo, Bravo!

Aww, c'mon. That's just not fair :p

Certainly wish Soundaware had included a coax cable...

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #247 of 7,703
High density means there's weight/thickness/physicality/fullness to the notes/voices

I believe the term you are looking for is 'body'. While the Momentums are a darker headphone than the 99 Classics (or the 99's are brighter than the Momentums), I wouldn't consider their added weight a benefit. Both headphones are equally transparent, and I would consider both to be 'liquid'. However, the Momentums are thick like fudge while the 99's are smooth like milk chocolate. To my ears, the 99's have a more accurate 'timbre', and when it comes to 'texture', the Momentums fall short, by quite a bit.

My Momentums are my daily OTG cans while the 99 Classics are my "unwinding/relaxing" cans, and yesterday morning as I was ridding up to my house after coming home from work, the song that was playing on my iPod was Nothing Else Matters - Apocalyptica. I paused the song as I entered my residence, and a short time later threw on the 99's and re-started the song (I hate jumping into the middle); Simply put, OMG! The Momentums sounded fantastic, definitely doing justice to the track; The cellos all had great body, resolve, focus, and holographic imaging with decent texture, and a fairly large soundscape. In comparison, the 99s had all the Momentum had to offer, but with far greater 'air' which helped increase not only the soundstage but add to both the focus and holographic imaging; I got a much better sense of the actual room. By comparison, the Momentums sounded a tad more flat, 2D, and dry. BUT (yes, a big but), the 99s utterly destroy the Momentums on texture. Having good resolve is one thing, but to have the sound tickle my ears with each draw of the bow across the strings, is impressive. Honestly, listening to the song, the 99 Classics moved me. Goosebumps, hairs standing up, lump forming in my throat. The Momentums never have given me one of "those moments" where I just sit there and think, " Wow, simply flawless... ".

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Momentums. So much so that when the left driver started to rattle (like the membrane tore) shortly before the warranty was up, I made damn sure to get them replaced. I would highly recommend them to anyone. But I have to be honest. If I were in a shipwreck and while floating on some debris saw my headphones floating near by and I could only grab one, I wouldn't think twice about saving my PSBs. I would be heartbroken though that I couldn't save the 99 Classics, and would push the Sennheisers off just so there would be a greater chance that the 99s would survive the ocean journey and find their way to a deserving individual.

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #249 of 7,703
I plan on dedicating some listening time tonight. They have really opened up after the pink noise burn-in. The bass sounds a bit more controlled. It is a real nice sounding hp. I need some critical listenimg time though.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #251 of 7,703

I believe the term you are looking for is 'body'. While the Momentums are a darker headphone than the 99 Classics (or the 99's are brighter than the Momentums), I wouldn't consider their added weight a benefit. Both headphones are equally transparent, and I would consider both to be 'liquid'. However, the Momentums are thick like fudge while the 99's are smooth like milk chocolate. To my ears, the 99's have a more accurate 'timbre', and when it comes to 'texture', the Momentums fall short, by quite a bit.

My Momentums are my daily OTG cans while the 99 Classics are my "unwinding/relaxing" cans, and yesterday morning as I was ridding up to my house after coming home from work, the song that was playing on my iPod was Nothing Else Matters - Apocalyptica. I paused the song as I entered my residence, and a short time later threw on the 99's and re-started the song (I hate jumping into the middle); Simply put, OMG! The Momentums sounded fantastic, definitely doing justice to the track; The cellos all had great body, resolve, focus, and holographic imaging with decent texture, and a fairly large soundscape. In comparison, the 99s had all the Momentum had to offer, but with far greater 'air' which helped increase not only the soundstage but add to both the focus and holographic imaging; I got a much better sense of the actual room. By comparison, the Momentums sounded a tad more flat, 2D, and dry. BUT (yes, a big but), the 99s utterly destroy the Momentums on texture. Having good resolve is one thing, but to have the sound tickle my ears with each draw of the bow across the strings, is impressive. Honestly, listening to the song, the 99 Classics moved me. Goosebumps, hairs standing up, lump forming in my throat. The Momentums never have given me one of "those moments" where I just sit there and think, " Wow, simply flawless... ".

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Momentums. So much so that when the left driver started to rattle (like the membrane tore) shortly before the warranty was up, I made damn sure to get them replaced. I would highly recommend them to anyone. But I have to be honest. If I were in a shipwreck and while floating on some debris saw my headphones floating near by and I could only grab one, I wouldn't think twice about saving my PSBs. I would be heartbroken though that I couldn't save the 99 Classics, and would push the Sennheisers off just so there would be a greater chance that the 99s would survive the ocean journey and find their way to a deserving individual.

beerchug.gif

I totally concur... as much as I enjoy & appreciate the Momentums (I have the 1st gen) I thought that the Meze had "all that and then some" so to speak. (I actually put the Momentums up for sale here.) The Meze have a bit more clarity throughout the frequency range, and that ever elusive hard to describe "air" to my ears. You summed it up well when you said "...the Momentums sounded a tad more flat,2D, and dry."

@ballard3 @Bert... Bansaku said he's planning on a PSB/Meze comaparison...I'm looking forward to it as well. I'd really like to spend a little more time with the PSB before I make a decision (I only had 2 quick demos) but I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go (the PSB route).

I'm so confused.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #252 of 7,703

I totally concur... as much as I enjoy & appreciate the Momentums (I have the 1st gen) I thought that the Meze had "all that and then some" so to speak. (I actually put the Momentums up for sale here.) The Meze have a bit more clarity throughout the frequency range, and that ever elusive hard to describe "air" to my ears. You summed it up well when you said "...the Momentums sounded a tad more flat,2D, and dry."

@ballard3 @Bert... Bansaku said he's planning on a PSB/Meze comaparison...I'm looking forward to it as well. I'd really like to spend a little more time with the PSB before I make a decision (I only had 2 quick demos) but I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go (the PSB route).

I'm so confused.

Momentum, Meze, PSB

I haven't given the Meze a fair shake enough to compare them and I would have to do the PSB from recollection and they are ancient history.  I honestly never liked tthe Momentum 1st gen., the Momentum 2's are an entirely different subject, I love them. The Meze and Momentums are a different sound signature. I will be happy to compare once I give the Meze a fair shake.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #253 of 7,703

I'm so confused.

Over the past couple weeks while listening to the PSBs' and Mezes' I have been formulating in my head what I want to cover and how to formulate the shoot-out. I plan on whipping it up either Wednesday of Thursday (my weekend). I was going to do an 'Ultimate $300ish Smallish Circumaural 3-Way Shoot-Out' between the 99 Classics, Momentums, and M4U 1s, but damn that would be too much work. Lord knows I can formulate a lengthy well composed rant, but I am not a great typer, more like a hybrid hunt-and-peck home-row style, and with 3 machines down at work I have been doing a lot of manual work lately which means my fingers are very numb. If I had a camera better than a 6th gen iPod Touch I would do a video, which is far easier and allows me to be more 'organic'.

I just want to add, I think I have figured out what so many people (myself included) mean by the 99 Classics are "fun". Fun is a term we all hate to use because it is just so ambiguous, and when it comes to the 99s' I get the feeling that we all had hesitance when using it (just watch Tyl's review and you know what I mean). However, gosh darn it, I think I have it; 'PRaT' or 'Rhythm and Pace', whatever your fancy may be. For those of you that may not fully understand what Pace, Rhythm, and Tempo refers to, don't feel bad. It probably was one of the first Audiophile terms coined back when true Hi-Fi emerged in the market, and much like 'fun', is a term many dislike. Essentially, PRaT refers to how well the system conveys the "physical energy" in a track. A system with good PRaT should make the listener physically react to the energy in the music, such as head bobbing/banging, toe tapping, virtual drumming, etc. 

While listening to the 99 Classics, even on songs I normally don't care for as much as other, I find myself reacting to the music more so than not. I will admit, last night I caught myself foot tapping, head bobbing, and was working my fingers against my leg as a virtual bass, while listening to....Tom Jones....Ok, nothing wrong with Mr. Jones, just far far from my normal preference. But damn was I rocking out to Help Yourself! And Spin Doctors, and Blondie, and Pointer Sisters. That is when I had the "A-ha, eureka!" moment, and finally figured out what I meant by fun. SOLVED! 

beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #254 of 7,703

Over the past couple weeks while listening to the PSBs' and Mezes' I have been formulating in my head what I want to cover and how to formulate the shoot-out. I plan on whipping it up either Wednesday of Thursday (my weekend). I was going to do an 'Ultimate $300ish Smallish Circumaural 3-Way Shoot-Out' between the 99 Classics, Momentums, and M4U 1s, but damn that would be too much work. Lord knows I can formulate a lengthy well composed rant, but I am not a great typer, more like a hybrid hunt-and-peck home-row style, and with 3 machines down at work I have been doing a lot of manual work lately which means my fingers are very numb. If I had a camera better than a 6th gen iPod Touch I would do a video, which is far easier and allows me to be more 'organic'.

I just want to add, I think I have figured out what so many people (myself included) mean by the 99 Classics are "fun". Fun is a term we all hate to use because it is just so ambiguous, and when it comes to the 99s' I get the feeling that we all had hesitance when using it (just watch Tyl's review and you know what I mean). However, gosh darn it, I think I have it; 'PRaT' or 'Rhythm and Pace', whatever your fancy may be. For those of you that may not fully understand what Pace, Rhythm, and Tempo refers to, don't feel bad. It probably was one of the first Audiophile terms coined back when true Hi-Fi emerged in the market, and much like 'fun', is a term many dislike. Essentially, PRaT refers to how well the system conveys the "physical energy" in a track. A system with good PRaT should make the listener physically react to the energy in the music, such as head bobbing/banging, toe tapping, virtual drumming, etc. 

While listening to the 99 Classics, even on songs I normally don't care for as much as other, I find myself reacting to the music more so than not. I will admit, last night I caught myself foot tapping, head bobbing, and was working my fingers against my leg as a virtual bass, while listening to....Tom Jones....Ok, nothing wrong with Mr. Jones, just far far from my normal preference. But damn was I rocking out to Help Yourself! And Spin Doctors, and Blondie, and Pointer Sisters. That is when I had the "A-ha, eureka!" moment, and finally figured out what I meant by fun. SOLVED! 

beerchug.gif

I know just where your coming from.  I think these are very musically engaging.  Call it 'fun" but for me that's what I listen to music for.  Very well put
beyersmile.png

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #255 of 7,703
I was impressed with the 99 Classics and have now posted my review. 

Short synopsis:
Gorgeous headphones with lush layered mids and a bit of bass emphasis. Regal packaging for this price range. Excellent case and accessories with potential balanced operation in the future.

Full review here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back