Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,606 of 7,703
I'm also interested in these just do to value and bang-for-the-buck. Currently have senn hd650 and Sony 7520 cans... maybe time to mix things up...

And there is not too much of a risk money-wise. Not like having to spend $1500 to $2,000 for some Audeze lcd3 etc which has considerable divisiveness on its sound sig.

Wonder if the company is working on some new headphones.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,607 of 7,703
Feb 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #1,608 of 7,703
Feb 5, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #1,609 of 7,703
So after you installed the mod, what cable you ordered ? I don't like the stock cable, but i know know what kind of cable should i order .

I built one for myself using OCC copper and Eidolic plugs.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,611 of 7,703
I believe you should select the Beyerdynamic T1. But I would email Norne and double-check.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #1,612 of 7,703
Saw these at CanJam this weekend. I fell in love with them and can't wait to get them. I am about to order them. Before I order from Amazon and to quiet my fears about the only quibble i have, which was the size of the ear cups, did Meze increase the size and depth of the ear cups? Are there an alternate pair that can be ordered? Is it possible to order a custom pair?

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,613 of 7,703
Saw these at CanJam this weekend. I fell in love with them and can't wait to get them. I am about to order them. Before I order from Amazon and to quiet my fears about the only quibble i have, which was the size of the ear cups, did Meze increase the size and depth of the ear cups? Are there an alternate pair that can be ordered? Is it possible to order a custom pair?

AFAIK the ear pads that come with the 99s are the ones which are one size bigger than what was offered in the first version. However, there are larger pads that can be ordered from Meze, which i have recently and awaiting delivery. I would advise you to order it if you find the slightest discomfort with the already existing pads.

I have read that the new pads give unparalleled comfort if that was possible. I mean when i got my pair i was amazed at the ease with which i could just keep them on for hours. Then my gigantic ears mutinied and i ordered the larger pads from Meze. All you have to do is to email their customer support and Vlad the Invincible will fulfill all your wishes! Plugs are also available in case you want to build a custom balanced cable Pinky (our esteemed headfi member) is the go to guy for such technicalities.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,614 of 7,703

The original Meze 99 Classics were much smaller and they were comfortable but not for long listening and I ultimately returned them. I ordered my second pair from Meze on a Black Friday sale and they were shipped from Amazon. The second pair had larger pads and they are much more comfortable. I have read there were three sizes but I have not verified that because I am happy with the pads I have on mine. That said if you saw them this weekend I would think they would have had the latest earpads.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #1,616 of 7,703

The original Meze 99 Classics were much smaller and they were comfortable but not for long listening and I ultimately returned them. I ordered my second pair from Meze on a Black Friday sale and they were shipped from Amazon. The second pair had larger pads and they are much more comfortable. I have read there were three sizes but I have not verified that because I am happy with the pads I have on mine. That said if you saw them this weekend I would think they would have had the latest earpads.

I also saw Meze at the NYC CanJam and was blown away. I just ordered a pair as a result. To clarify, did the ones at the show have the biggest available pads? When I asked he said they were bigger than the original pads, but didn't say anything about the third size.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #1,617 of 7,703
I also saw Meze at the NYC CanJam and was blown away. I just ordered a pair as a result. To clarify, did the ones at the show have the biggest available pads? When I asked he said they were bigger than the original pads, but didn't say anything about the third size.

Yes there is a third size (the largest amongst the three)

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #1,618 of 7,703
Yes there is a third size (the largest amongst the three)

Thanks for clarifying that. I emailed customer support and asked them how to get a pair. They said that all the new headphones ship with the largest size pads so I'm covered!

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #1,619 of 7,703
Thanks for clarifying that. I emailed customer support and asked them how to get a pair. They said that all the new headphones ship with the largest size pads so I'm covered!

Well that would mean i have misunderstood and ordered a pair of extra pads. Well no harm done :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,620 of 7,703
Bit overdue due to been somewhat busy with things but just thought i would share with you fellow Classic owners and appreciators the cable I had done by Russ Andrews here in UK using Kimber cable.

Only reason I decided to get a cable done was to get the length I wanted shorter for use when next to my laptop using my Chord Hugo rather than try and improve the sound side of things which usually is the case when getting an aftermarket cable made.

But have to say it does improve the sound which was a bonus really. Thanks to Meze for providing the jack connectors and Thanks to Peter @ Russ Andrews for doing this cable build and lastly thanks to Peter1840 on here who originally got his classics done with this cable to start with that piqued my interest to begin with...

Here is the eye candy of Kimber cable with the Classic's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back