Metrum Pavane
Feb 27, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #601 of 682
I stand corrected. It’s early. However you don’t think it’s absurd that you can get your eardrums pierced?

Anyway there’s no reason for you to read what I write or believe it. I’m giving you my opinion based on what I have heard on a variety of DAC’s in my system.

You don’t think it’s absurd that someone coukf get their ear drums pierced listen to high resolution music?

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #602 of 682
I stand corrected. It’s early. However you don’t think it’s absurd that you can get your eardrums pierced?

Anyway there’s no reason for you to read what I write or believe it. I’m giving you my opinion based on what I have heard on a variety of DAC’s in my system.

You don’t think it’s absurd that someone coukf get their ear drums pierced listen to high resolution music?
So if higher resolution results in thin sound, what will happen say after 20 years or even 50 years or for the heck 100 years, if resolution continues to improve over the years ?

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #603 of 682
So I just got my Pavane yesterday and I've been stealing an hour or two here and there to listen to it. Right now it's paired with a Taurus Mk2 and hopefully a Liquid Gold will be here in less than a fortnight.

I just realized that it's redefined the entire headphone universe for me. Previously the two best DACs I had was the LH Labs Pulse Infinity and the Schiit Gungnir Multibit. Previously I used Audio GD DACs up to the excellent Reference 7. I also have/had the Chord Mojo, Hugo and Hugo 2. Of all these the Hugo 2 was definitely the best and I was hearing things in my music that I had never heard before. It was excellent.

When I tried the Pavane, it wasn't that the soundstage increased (it did) or that there were more discovered details (there was). It was that it transformed my HD800 completely. Previously described as lacking in bass or body or impact regardless of what I connected to it, I struggled to marry good technicals with a tonality I enjoyed. The Mojo gave me the tonality I enjoyed (only just) and the Hugo 2 gave me the technicalities with a slight trade-off in tonality.

When I tried the Pavane, it was really a What moment. It wasn't as if the HD800 was given steroids. It was more like it was given an Ironman suit. Low end grunt I never heard before. Impact, sub bass galore, full bodied sound AND there were more details, micro details, soundstage and better imaging.

Also I'd never enjoyed the Taurus Mk2 with the HD800 because it was just a bit too revealing of what I thought was the HD800's character. Turns out it was just revealing the limitations of my previous DACs. I only ever used the Taurus Mk2 with the Ether and Ether Flow.

Now I am very much enjoying the Taurus Mk2 with the HD800 and Pavane. If the Liquid Gold is going to make things sound better then WOW. Just WOW. I'm really looking forward to how things can get even better. It's already the best I've ever heard.

Of course always wanting to push a little bit further, I was initially going to buy an expensive coax cable but I am now hoping to be able to do the I2S mod to maximize the Pavane. Perhaps when I have a lot of spare funds I can consider the Level upgrades for the Pavane.

I now understand why people say the HD800 can scale. In my opinion the Ether Flow sounds better than the HD800 on lesser equipment but with the Pavane I prefer my HD800 (which is now a completely different headphone) over the Ether Flow. Anyway, it's 2:37AM and I really should have gone to bed a few hours ago but I just couldn't put my headphones down.

Thought I'd share my thoughts here.

PS: Don't get the impression that the HD800s are now bass monsters. It's just that the music is now infused with everything I ever wanted in the HD800 without losing anything that made it great. It's now "just right" for me. Previously it was suffering from what I would consider the stereotypical description of the HD800. Lacking bass, body and impact. Detailed but thin and clinical sounding.

Also: My HD800s are modded with the SDR and cork mods.

Another note: When I want another infusion of extra bass I switch my amp from the Taurus Mk2 to the Liquid Carbon. The sound is more relaxed and bass is more prominent.

The above was what I posted in 2017.

Fast forward to 2022. Just had my L1 Pavane upgraded to DAC3 chips. I'm done with upgrades. :) Sounds like a dream. I can't do a side by side comparison and I honestly already considered the L1 end-game (for me) but the best I can describe is that it seems to do everything even better. Not only is the awesome tonality still there but everything sounds clearer and the soundstage and imaging is even better if that's possible. Not really doing any more analysis, just enjoying it.

The current setup hasn't changed from my previous one but for a few small changes.
Source = normal PC USB 3.0 port -> Curious Evolved USB -> IsoRegen -> short Curious USB -> Singxer SU-6 ->1.5m OCC Silver AES/EBU
-> Pavane L1 (DAC3 chips) -> OCC Silver XLR (Furutech Connectors) -> Taurus Mk2 -> Norne Draug 2C -> HD800 SDR Cork

PS: In response to my previous post, I did end up getting a Liquid Gold amp and it emphasized all the Pavane traits even further but it's not a necessity; more of a luxury. The image size does get noticeably bigger though. Sold it only to lose my money in crypto. Oh well.

However with the Taurus, I don't feel like I am missing anything at the moment so it will do for now. :wink:

I also switched out my USB for the RJ45 I2S since my Singxer SU-6 has that output. When I am fidgety I might find a top quality OCC Silver RJ45 I2S cable and compare the two.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #604 of 682

Fast forward to 2022. Just had my L1 Pavane upgraded to DAC3 chips. I'm done with upgrades. :) Sounds like a dream. I can't do a side by side comparison and I honestly already considered the L1 end-game (for me) but the best I can describe is that it seems to do everything even better. Not only is the awesome tonality still there but everything sounds clearer and the soundstage and imaging is even better if that's possible. Not really doing any more analysis, just enjoying it.

The current setup hasn't changed from my previous one but for a few small changes.
Source = normal PC USB 3.0 port -> Curious Evolved USB -> IsoRegen -> short Curious USB -> Singxer SU-6 ->1.5m OCC Silver AES/EBU
-> Pavane L1 (DAC3 chips) -> OCC Silver XLR (Furutech Connectors) -> Taurus Mk2 -> Norne Draug 2C -> HD800 SDR Cork

PS: In response to my previous post, I did end up getting a Liquid Gold amp and it emphasized all the Pavane traits even further but it's not a necessity; more of a luxury. The image size does get noticeably bigger though. Sold it only to lose my money in crypto. Oh well.

However with the Taurus, I don't feel like I am missing anything at the moment so it will do for now. :wink:

I also switched out my USB for the RJ45 I2S since my Singxer SU-6 has that output. When I am fidgety I might find a top quality OCC Silver RJ45 I2S cable and compare the two.
You really have an endgame system...Taurus Mk2 is exceptional amp, soundwise and built quality and Hd800 is one of the most revealing with great (if not the greatest) stage out there. Have heard many, as Arya, Clears, Lcd2, Beyerdynamic ect but only these had "something special" . Both of them (hd800+taurus) are from a few years before that stuff was priced in more logical boundaries, without sacrificing anything. Also what to say about pavane...i have heard the L1 version. The most real life, fatigue free, analytical dac i have heard. Lucky for you to have it.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #605 of 682

I’m interested in SU6 for my pavane.
Could you let us know how to connect rj45 i2s ?

Mar 3, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #606 of 682

When something stands test of time, you know it is fantastic and that's the best way to judge a product for anyone looking for a DAC - How long the DAC stays with owner.

Mar 3, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #607 of 682
I’m interested in SU6 for my pavane.
Could you let us know how to connect rj45 i2s ?

I am speaking with audiolund to create a cable for it. Once U have the right cable just plug it in. Su6 has a plug for rj45 i2s and HDMI i2s. I'm sure there's a pin configuration somewhere we can get.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #608 of 682
When something stands test of time, you know it is fantastic and that's the best way to judge a product for anyone looking for a DAC - How long the DAC stays with owner.
Actually a lot of components stand the test of time, except us as head-fi’er always feel the need to upgrade for something new, and it doesn’t always even turn out to be an upgrade at the end of the day.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #609 of 682
Actually a lot of components stand the test of time, except us as head-fi’er always feel the need to upgrade for something new, and it doesn’t always even turn out to be an upgrade at the end of the day.
Agree to a point..The actual upgrade would be to our music libraries and our knowledge about music :) .

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #610 of 682
I am speaking with audiolund to create a cable for it. Once U have the right cable just plug it in. Su6 has a plug for rj45 i2s and HDMI i2s. I'm sure there's a pin configuration somewhere we can get.
Recently learned from another SU6 owner that no need to modify ethernet cable. Its plug n play b/w su6 & sonnet/metrum DACs.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #611 of 682
If anyone is interested, I am selling my Metrum Pavane with DAC2 chips and Sonnet Morpheus. The Pavane is only a few weeks old. It is in silver. Has MQA. I'm actually getting away from the hobby and selling all of my gear. PM me if interested. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back