Metrum Pavane
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #406 of 682
Hi Matt,
You can best use search in FB: Cees Ruijtenberg
Below you can find a copy/past of his post

Cheers, Fred

===

Dear all

We are ready to inform you about the prices for the Roon dac. It took a while because I am not allowed to make deliveries myself due to contractual obligations but found a well-known manufacturer of mine willing to make those deliveries through them. I will, however, work out and prepare all orders. Based on the design, a prototype will be made first to ensure that everything is functioning properly. Two weeks after this, final production will start. As a whole, an expected delivery time of approximately nine to ten weeks is expected. The product will be released under the new brand name “Sonnet Digital Audio”. The design has already been determined and will get the looks similar to the attached photo.

Prices seem solid enough
whGDz0A.jpg

The following prices were calculated based on normal margins:
Roon dac including VAT Euro 1330 for deliveries within the EU. Shipments outside the EU Euro 1099 ex VAT

The following prices apply to the first 25 orders:

Roon dac including VAT Euro 935 for deliveries within the EU. Shipments outside the EU Euro 773 ex VAT

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #407 of 682
Thank you for posting that! I'll inquire with him, I have an Onyx now with a Allo DigiOne Signature streamer and I'm thinking for the price it probably won't be better than what I have already. But it would be a pleasant surprise if cheaper was better!

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #408 of 682
Cees has announced that registration for his new ‘RoonDAC’ is open, with Sonnet Digital Audio as a company name.

A new product from a well known brain:
- streamer/endpoint and a DAC in one device
- contains the brand new DAC modules which will be used in the new speaker line up (with 4 ladders per DAC module)
- simple: network input and analog outputs (balanced and single ended)
- to be Roon certified, also supports AirPlay and Volumia
- first 25 orders will receive a discount

On his Facebook page you’ll find more information, pictures and board designs

Well done for the update!

I have asked a few questions of Cees by email. I am keen to understand how the performance compares to my current Adagio and Ambre combination in my main system. I will share the answer of course.

If it does not better the Adagio and Ambre, then I can see a place for it to replace the upgraded Musette and Aries Mini in my headphone station. Then I will either get a new HPA to replace my Aurix, like the HeadAmp GSX MKII, or just keep the Aurix.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #409 of 682
Thank you for posting that! I'll inquire with him, I have an Onyx now with a Allo DigiOne Signature streamer and I'm thinking for the price it probably won't be better than what I have already. But it would be a pleasant surprise if cheaper was better!

I am thinking that Onyx/Jade performance level will be realistic. But for sure we all know this means incredible performance! And DigiOne Signature is a crazy overachiever!

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #410 of 682

You're very welcome George and Matt :)
As I understood this RoonDAC will compete with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module).
Below you find the board and a picture of the new DAC module (as posted on Cees' FB earlier).

streamer board.jpg
sda2.jpg

Considering the price, I guess it's a hard to beat simple solution :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #411 of 682
You're very welcome George and Matt :)
As I understood this RoonDAC will compete with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module).
Below you find the board and a picture of the new DAC module (as posted on Cees' FB earlier).

Considering the price, I guess it's a hard to beat simple solution :beerchug:

Thank you!

It will be interesting to learn whether the Roon streaming component is a direct lift from Ambre, or an improvement.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #412 of 682
Well done for the update!

I have asked a few questions of Cees by email. I am keen to understand how the performance compares to my current Adagio and Ambre combination in my main system. I will share the answer of course.

If it does not better the Adagio and Ambre, then I can see a place for it to replace the upgraded Musette and Aries Mini in my headphone station. Then I will either get a new HPA to replace my Aurix, like the HeadAmp GSX MKII, or just keep the Aurix.

Well it is a DAC roon streamer device that will sell initially for 773 euros.
I don't think it will compete with the Adagio. In fact the Ambre itself costs more.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #413 of 682
Well it is a DAC roon streamer device that will sell initially for 773 euros.
I don't think it will compete with the Adagio. In fact the Ambre itself costs more.

We don't know what the comparative performance of the new DAC modules is yet, so who knows?

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #415 of 682
Have now heard from Cees. The DAC performance will match that of Adagio/Pavane and may exceed that.

Sounds like a winner for the money...

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #416 of 682
Have now heard from Cees. The DAC performance will match that of Adagio/Pavane and may exceed that.

Sounds like a winner for the money...

He may have sent it, but I find that pretty hard to believe. There’s more to just the DAC section that makes a component sound good. So it’s gonna sound better than a unit that cost how many multiples in price better? Also does it have AES/EBU input as he always said that sounded better than USB.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #417 of 682
He may have sent it, but I find that pretty hard to believe. There’s more to just the DAC section that makes a component sound good. So it’s gonna sound better than a unit that cost how many multiples in price better? Also does it have AES/EBU input as he always said that sounded better than USB.

Given he's the designer, why wouldn't you trust him?!

Ethernet is the only input. I believe single and balanced outputs.

So it doesn't compete with Adagio and Pavane in the sense that it doesn't accept multiple inputs. It's a combined DAC and streamer that has a few specific use cases; either feeding a HPA for discrete listening, or feeding active speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #418 of 682
Of course I have no idea if it’s going to be better, worse, or same. However to say he’s designer and why would not trust him? You could say that about any company where they say my product is better. I would also think with the one box solution you have less isolation from the different sections as you would with individual components. How much that translates to what you hear or not, who knows.

I would think it’s worth trying if you’re looking to change your upgrade from what you already have. I just would question that if you have a pavane or adagio as well as a good dedicated streamer that this new unit is going to be better and sound.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #419 of 682
B
Of course I have no idea if it’s going to be better, worse, or same. However to say he’s designer and why would not trust him? You could say that about any company where they say my product is better. I would also think with the one box solution you have less isolation from the different sections as you would with individual components. How much that translates to what you hear or not, who knows.

I would think it’s worth trying if you’re looking to change your upgrade from what you already have. I just would question that if you have a pavane or adagio as well as a good dedicated streamer that this new unit is going to be better and sound.

Because in a World full of snake oil and BS, Cees delivers. Time after time after time. I have his Adagio, Forte, Ambre, Musette and Aurix. I trust him.

I completely understand that others may wish to wait for a review.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #420 of 682
That’s true about snake ool but since he designed the adagio and the pavanne, and thenI left to design something that’s a fraction of the cost of that and says it’s better, that’s why I’d say I’d let my ear is tell me and not him. What’s he going to say? I have a new product that’s 25% less than what I just designed but it doesn’t sound as good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back