Metrum Acoustics Octave
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #287 of 707
Quote:

Stello makes great transports.  That said, the Octave is still miles ahead of the DacMagic which is bested by the W4S DAC-2 which got smashed by the Octave.  The transport warning is more for people using spdif straight off their PC or Mac.

Well, thats good to know. Especially because i want planning on splitting with my transport 
ph34r.gif

And i know what you mean, even the dacmagic shows the shortcomings in my pc's spdif.....

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #288 of 707
Quote:

Stello makes great transports.  That said, the Octave is still miles ahead of the DacMagic which is bested by the W4S DAC-2 which got smashed by the Octave.  The transport warning is more for people using spdif straight off their PC or Mac.

I enjoyed the few hours I had with the W4S DAC-2. What I wish I had the opportunity to have it and the DMPlus side by side. it is difficult to retain the perspective with time between listening to each device. I am very intrigued by the Octave, but I do not know any place to try it with a USB/SPdif input (Stello or MF, etc) For now I have the DMPlus and it is a nice DAC for the money. I wish I had more time and access to review the fantastic array of products we enjoy reading about here.  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #289 of 707
Well the PWD2 landed, the review notes are written and the Metrum will be hitting the F/S soon.

It's been an interesting trip though.  It's my first official SPDIF transport rolling experience which was its own ride.  Anyone curious as to whether a digital transport can make a difference?  Yes, yes it can.  The level of change, key word change not improvement, from one to another is rather surprising.  The onboard optical out was shouty, the EMU mixed rounded down low getting sharper as you climb, the AP2 consistent top to bottom more focused than the previous but still smooth.  The PWD2 NativeX on the other hand is even further up the focus chain, perhaps too far for some which explains the love for the 2.02 firmware.

Now you can't put the PWD digital board into the Octave so... AP2 it is :wink:

Getting the easy out of the way.  The W4S only bests the Octave in one arena... connectivity and features.  It's also darker overall but shouty which makes for an odd unnatural combination when compared to others.  Compared to the Octave, it also less specific in imaging, fuzzy and rolled up top even with the AP2.  Long story short, look elsewhere even if you want a dark source.

The Octave in comparison, with the AP2, is more naturally balanced if still a little shifted tonally down.  It's imaging is more specific but still rounded, less full than the W4S but still meaty, improved clarity and separation, very dynamic without being shouty.  Essentially better than the W4S in every way while still being cut from the same cloth.  Given it costs the same with the AP2 its a no brainer.

Unfortunately against the PWD2, it just doesn't compete.  Given the price difference is anyone surprised?  Short of it is the PWD2 is world class.  I have the 2.2.0 firmware and the resulting sound is extremely focused, imaging is ridiculously specific and separation, resolution and clarity are the best I've ever heard.  Tonally balanced and dynamic but not approaching shouty or overdone.  Warm without crossing into overly full.  Its a blink blink moment that's hard to believe.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #290 of 707
Quote:
Well the PWD2 landed, the review notes are written and the Metrum will be hitting the F/S soon.

It's been an interesting trip though.  It's my first official SPDIF transport rolling experience which was its own ride.  Anyone curious as to whether a digital transport can make a difference?  Yes, yes it can.  The level of change, key word change not improvement, from one to another is rather surprising.  The onboard optical out was shouty, the EMU mixed rounded down low getting sharper as you climb, the AP2 consistent top to bottom more focused than the previous but still smooth.  The PWD2 NativeX on the other hand is even further up the focus chain, perhaps too far for some which explains the love for the 2.02 firmware.

Now you can't put the PWD digital board into the Octave so... AP2 it is :wink:

Getting the easy out of the way.  The W4S only bests the Octave in one arena... connectivity and features.  It's also darker overall but shouty which makes for an odd unnatural combination when compared to others.  Compared to the Octave, it also less specific in imaging, fuzzy and rolled up top even with the AP2.  Long story short, look elsewhere even if you want a dark source.

The Octave in comparison, with the AP2, is more naturally balanced if still a little shifted tonally down.  It's imaging is more specific but still rounded, less full than the W4S but still meaty, improved clarity and separation, very dynamic without being shouty.  Essentially better than the W4S in every way while still being cut from the same cloth.  Given it costs the same with the AP2 its a no brainer.

Unfortunately against the PWD2, it just doesn't compete.  Given the price difference is anyone surprised?  Short of it is the PWD2 is world class.  I have the 2.2.0 firmware and the resulting sound is extremely focused, imaging is ridiculously specific and separation, resolution and clarity are the best I've ever heard.  Tonally balanced and dynamic but not approaching shouty or overdone.  Warm without crossing into overly full.  Its a blink blink moment that's hard to believe.

I wonder how the Metrum Octave would compete with PS Audio's NuWave DAC, which is 1/4 the price of PWD2.
http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/media-players/nuwave/

I think it's obvious that the PWD2 is superior to the Octave given the price gap, but the NuWave DAC is similarly priced to the Octave and is said to have based on the PerfectWave series. Although I cannot comment on sound, the NuWave has asynchronous USB input capable up to 192/24 based on XMOS chip (whereas the Octave only has coaxial input up to 176.4/24), and balanced outputs too, so I guess it's a more versatile DAC than the Octave.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #291 of 707
The real advantage the PWD2 has is the NativeX digital lense.  Without it, its still a good DAC but its not miles out in front of the pack like it is with it's engaged.  In that way the PWD2 also features a 'forgiving' button in that NativeX is ruthless, but Native is fuller and less resolving.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #292 of 707
Solude...Under $1500 DAC choices. How would you rank your top 3?

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #293 of 707
Esh I haven't had a lot of my DAC in a long long time.  But I preferred the my recent trip was in order of 'goodness' Stello DA220 MkII < Burson HA-160D = W4S DAC-2 < Metrum Octave <<< PWD2 :p

The Burson and W4S were very close with the W4S being more dynamic, read shouty on some systems.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #294 of 707
Thks!

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #295 of 707
My Metrum Octave arrived!!!

First impression is that it sounds almost exactly like my "old" NFB3, but with some improvements in detail, attack, air, bass and better placement of instruments. Timbre and everything else sounds very much alike. 15 minutes of listening... let's see how it improves with time.
As soon as po$$ible I'll upgrade my Audio-GD DI v1 to Audiophileo or any other good converter.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #296 of 707
popcorn.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #297 of 707
Just wanted to chime in and say I've been loving my Metrum Octave with a V-Link 192 . It was a huge upgrade from my Dacmini in terms of clairty and soundstage. Especially with my HD650's, I felt the soundstage expand tremendously with my HD650s.

Just wondering from other users, it feels like the flip switches on my Octave are a bit loose. When I go turn it on, it feels like I'm sort of lifting up the entire DAC board. Just wondering if this is normal. I did open it up once and it didn't seem like anything was loose, it's just a minor issue.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #299 of 707
Yeah, I think it's just that; just gave me quite a fright when I first got the octave and it seemed the switch was loose.

Another question for the audiophilleo users, how do you handle the strain from the direct connection to rca input? It seems like it could easily cause balancing issues and heavy stress due to the already small size of the octave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back