Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Oct 3, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #211 of 239
Thanks guys, I guess my USB at times isn't up for the task.  Maybe something like a Schiit Wyrd might be in my future.  I have ambitions for a pro audio interface, but that's a ways away...
I use a Schiit Wyrd at the end of a 15 ft run of USB cable for my stereo-I must say that made a really big difference there. I use the W4S Recovery on main HP rig to good effect too.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #212 of 239
Received the Musette yesterday. The unit only sat with 3 of the 4 footers on the table. One footer was off by at least 3/16". After removing the cover, applying pressure and refastening, I was able to remove most of the warping. A little disappointing. Anyway, I fixed that mess, hooked everything up, via usb input. Again not impressed. Just sounded kind of lifeless. This morning, decided to insert my usb converter first, feed the musette via spdif and let it run. Well, what I am hearing now may be the most musically involving, resolute and non-fatiguing sound I have been able to acquire. I am not sure as to why. Both units use XMOS usb hardware. Coming from a freakishly detailed and dynamic DAC2 DX, it really is a more natural, analog sound. I love both dacs, for different reasons. They couldn't be farther apart in design too. So far I can listen to this Musette very easily, and likely a lot longer than the DAC2 DX. Stunning. This definitely is not new toy syndrome. Another R2R convert.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #213 of 239
First time poster here. My Musette exhibits a "pop" when turned off (into standby). This is an amplified sound not a physical one just to be clear.

Last night I was watching a Netflix movie using the optical input on the Musette. The red standby light was blinking and kind of fading in and out, accompanied by a loud popping sound in the right channel.

I've always felt this was just a minor annoyance at power-off but think it might be becoming more of an issue with this latest development. Powering off the Musette via the mains switch and powering back on seemed to fix this, but I will report if it happens again.

Any other users having this issue? I know the receiver (m2 tech?) will go into standby with no signal, but this was the first time that it started flickering into standby with an active signal.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #214 of 239
First time poster here. My Musette exhibits a "pop" when turned off (into standby). This is an amplified sound not a physical one just to be clear.

Last night I was watching a Netflix movie using the optical input on the Musette. The red standby light was blinking and kind of fading in and out, accompanied by a loud popping sound in the right channel.

I've always felt this was just a minor annoyance at power-off but think it might be becoming more of an issue with this latest development. Powering off the Musette via the mains switch and powering back on seemed to fix this, but I will report if it happens again.

Any other users having this issue? I know the receiver (m2 tech?) will go into standby with no signal, but this was the first time that it started flickering into standby with an active signal.
I'd email the dealer. If you picked it up 2nd hand, then try Metrum-they have a contact form on their site.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #217 of 239
Received the Musette yesterday. The unit only sat with 3 of the 4 footers on the table. One footer was off by at least 3/16". After removing the cover, applying pressure and refastening, I was able to remove most of the warping. A little disappointing. Anyway, I fixed that mess, hooked everything up, via usb input. Again not impressed. Just sounded kind of lifeless. This morning, decided to insert my usb converter first, feed the musette via spdif and let it run. Well, what I am hearing now may be the most musically involving, resolute and non-fatiguing sound I have been able to acquire. I am not sure as to why. Both units use XMOS usb hardware. Coming from a freakishly detailed and dynamic DAC2 DX, it really is a more natural, analog sound. I love both dacs, for different reasons. They couldn't be farther apart in design too. So far I can listen to this Musette very easily, and likely a lot longer than the DAC2 DX. Stunning. This definitely is not new toy syndrome. Another R2R convert.

Had similar experience when received my musette quite some time ago, at first felt lifeless and "flat", after few days started to show its value, definitely worth keeping it for a several days 24/7, don't think it takes more time for burning in, still not up for upgrades on DAC end of things for now (cant spend 3x+ for relatively considerable upgrade), will be checking one interesting comparison vs "AD1865" soon, will report on my personal impressions.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #218 of 239
 Coming from a freakishly detailed and dynamic DAC2 DX by nordkapp

I own a DAC2L how are you finding the Musette sound wise compared to the DAC2 DX?

Benchmark have just upgraded to DAC3 with new chip but I guess more of the same sound with some improvements. I'm intrigued with NOS Dacs and quite a few have moved towards the Metrum's. The Musette is a cheaper option than the new DAC3 but by all accounts better to listen to. 

Robert 

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #219 of 239
Just joined the club. I ordered one a few minutes ago.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #220 of 239
hello to all im thinking of changing my modimultibit to fund an upgrade to metrum musette. also does this dacpair well with a tube amp like earmax pro. finally anyone used intona wth musette. there would be no problem using intona with a musette like any other dac? thanks to all. i think coax is best?

is the musette on coax an rca coaxial connection. ie bnc connections can not be used on musette. also the right cable then is a 75ohm digital coax cable with rca connectors? slightly confused here many thanks.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #221 of 239
After reading reviews, thinking about it and then thinking about it some more I finally ordered a Musette today.  It's a demo unit and not new but it will be new to me and I could not be more excited!  Rewind to the beginning of February and I was in talks with Zach over at ZMF about his headphones and out of that conversation I ordered the ZMF Eikon and found out about his love for the Musette.

I've had that combination in mind ever since our conversation and although my Eikon is still several weeks away from completion I am excited to see that the Musette should be arriving at my house in a few days.  I am upgrading from a Modi Multibit and am very much looking forward to hearing the Eikon - Musette combination.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #222 of 239
 I am upgrading from a Modi Multibit and am very much looking forward to hearing the Eikon - Musette combination.

Looking forward to your impressions.  I have heard the Eikon pairs nicely with a tube OTL amp!

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #224 of 239
Still waiting on the Eikon (likely still 2 - 3 weeks out) but the Musette arrived today and I have just plugged it in and started listening to it.  I need a lot more time but right away it seems to have a wider soundstage than the Mimby (more air and separation between instruments and voices) and it seems to be quite good at picking up the small details and representing them nicely.  More impressions to come later.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #225 of 239
New happy 2nd hand owner here. The Musette is everything I hoped it would be, this is the sound I've been looking for for a while and couldn't find with some Delta-Sigma DACs and Modi-Multibit. Arcam rDac was close, but not quite the same precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back