Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Aug 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #196 of 239

No list of supported file standards, a little surprising.  But I don't have a crazy collection of formats...

Ye, that's what got me a little perplexed. 

But I already bought Musette a month ago and no problem whatsoever with any files. 
Actually I am amazed with the sound quality - it's great! 

I have to confess that I had some panic attacks during the initial burn in process. It does sound weird during first two weeks of use, but then... it's bliss :)

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #197 of 239
@Russian1, I orders a Musette and it should arrive in about 2 weeks. About how many hours did you put on yours till it started to sound better?

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #198 of 239
@Russian1, I orders a Musette and it should arrive in about 2 weeks. About how many hours did you put on yours till it started to sound better?

Well, two weeks, non-stop - 24 hours a day :)
First week the sound quality changed sometimes dramatically and got me frightined, then it went on somewhat smoothly. ))

* Sorry for the delay, didn't notice the question. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #199 of 239
There was this one time for me when music sounded very dynamic but harsh. I thought it was my T3 causing it at first. But now I think it was the Musette burning in. It sounds much smoother now.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #200 of 239
There was this one time for me when music sounded very dynamic but harsh. I thought it was my T3 causing it at first. But now I think it was the Musette burning in. It sounds much smoother now.

I agree.  When I first listened to mine, I got goosebumps.  Then for a few days the treble was a bit scratchy, even on my HD650.  Then it smoothed out to what it is today.  Its a wonderful sounding DAC.  Makes you wonder what the other DACs up the food chain can do...

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #201 of 239
Hi,

Has anyone compared the Musette to a Chord Hugo or 2Qute? I'm hoping for a detailed but musical presentation to complement my Stax Omega. The 2Qute is very detailed, but would benefit from being more musical.

I would consider a Musette but I feel slightly sceptical about the need to burn the DAC in for 4 weeks which rules out a return under UK distance selling law. A member here suggested that Musette can sound sibilant which would be problem for me as I have tinnitus.

Martyn

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #202 of 239
I don't have personal experience with those two Chord products, other then the knowledge that they share identical DAC sections.

I completely disagree with the 4 week burn in necessity. My Musette settled in nicely after about 30 or 40 hours of listening, and it wasn't any sort of harsh settling. I enjoyed listening through the process...

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #203 of 239
I don't have personal experience with those two Chord products, other then the knowledge that they share identical DAC sections.

I completely disagree with the 4 week burn in necessity. My Musette settled in nicely after about 30 or 40 hours of listening, and it wasn't any sort of harsh settling. I enjoyed listening through the process...

Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any sibilance? My Stax SRM-727II is prone to emphasise any sibilance in tracks especially female vocalists.

I wonder why the Musette has to burn in at all. As a digital processor converting binary information it would be surprising if the circuits measurably change during the burn in period.

I'd like to try a Musette and if anyone has a spare...

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #204 of 239
Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any sibilance? My Stax SRM-727II is prone to emphasise any sibilance in tracks especially female vocalists.

I wonder why the Musette has to burn in at all. As a digital processor converting binary information it would be surprising if the circuits measurably change during the burn in period.

I'd like to try a Musette and if anyone has a spare...

I got a little at maybe the 10 - 20 hour mark, then it settled away. I can't say what internal components need "burn in", but it happened. But, it never turned me off of the DAC at any point...

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #207 of 239
Has anyone had a blinking On/Standby button?  I'm trying to figure out what that means.  It doesn't blink in a pattern like a warning code, and it doesn't do it all the time.  But I'm just trying to figure out what it means...

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #208 of 239
  Has anyone had a blinking On/Standby button?  I'm trying to figure out what that means.  It doesn't blink in a pattern like a warning code, and it doesn't do it all the time.  But I'm just trying to figure out what it means...

I was running a USB to SPDIF converter that I found out wanted 6-7v instead of the 5v I was giving it and the blinking would be accompanied by distortion and dropouts. I got a 6v supply and it no longer blinks. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #209 of 239
From what I have read, it means its not locked onto a digital signal. I may be wrong though.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #210 of 239
Thanks guys, I guess my USB at times isn't up for the task.  Maybe something like a Schiit Wyrd might be in my future.  I have ambitions for a pro audio interface, but that's a ways away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back