Metrum Acoustics Menuet DAC
Jul 23, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 70
Well... Let us know if it's worthed. Even if... I am not sure that you will get huge improvements. Usually the l2s is preferable when the usb input is not well designed or poor quality. For example the old USB32 from VIA on the Audio-gd DACs. The usb module on the Metrum DACs (at least the last generation usb3) is suppose to be very good, even better than Amanero ones.

The improvements that you noticed with the Regen and the Mutec were "clear" or really small? It's like upgrading an usb cable, for example?

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #32 of 70
It was like upgrading the dac. More clarity, darker background, less fuzzy edge or sharper edge, more solid sounding, more dynamics.

Keep in mind it depends on your music source since most music has tons of jitter already recorded in.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #33 of 70
So I think that it depends from the dac. Probably the Menuet has better power supply for the usb module than the Musette.
Before selling the Melodious MX-U8 (it's a very good DI) I have tried it on the Menuet and I could not hear any difference.

On my previous NFB-7 (old usb input) there was an improvement (small) with the Melodious.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #34 of 70
[snip]

Not sure if the usb input on the Menuet has galvanic isolation... I know that it's using a M2Tech OEM interface.

The usb module on the Metrum DACs (at least the last generation usb3) is suppose to be very good, even better than Amanero ones.

[snip]

So Metrum has gone back to using an M2Tech-based USB board in the latest DACs?

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 70
More info on what's happening on Menuet/Pavane (FPGA technology) dacs:

"The signal coming in from the S/PDIF (RCA or XLR), optical or USB input is converted into an I2S stream. The I2S data is fed into the FPGA and split into two new formats, both I2S. These data streams are manipulated in the FPGA in such a way that when they reach the transient converter chips as two separate balanced clusters for each channel, the converters will interpret the data in such a way that they always use the highest segment of the ladder converters inside the transient modules."

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #39 of 70
  No follow-ups?  Its price has dropped by 400 euros recently, quite close to ygg...

Well, if you want i can follow up :)
This dac is nothing more than amazing! I stopped to read the articles and forums for upgrades and it's months that i'm just listening and enjoying my music. It was a revelation for me and the music presentation has the ability to stand out with all the genre...always being natural.
If you are looking for a dac and you have the right budget i think that you don't have any other choice...Menuet is THE dac.

I also suggest you to use it with AES/EBU connection...it was a further improvement over usb. Fantastic product.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #40 of 70
  Well, if you want i can follow up :)
This dac is nothing more than amazing! I stopped to read the articles and forums for upgrades and it's months that i'm just listening and enjoying my music. It was a revelation for me and the music presentation has the ability to stand out with all the genre...always being natural.
If you are looking for a dac and you have the right budget i think that you don't have any other choice...Menuet is THE dac.

I also suggest you to use it with AES/EBU connection...it was a further improvement over usb. Fantastic product.

Can't disagree with any of that 
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #42 of 70
I have spent last few weeks researching DACs suitable for me and my setup, hoping for a noticeable step up from Lynx Hilo and Chord Mojo which so far have been doing the duty. Despite their designs being a few years apart and their technologies being quite different, there’s very little difference in the output quality between these two and I was wondering how much better can things get at all. In the end there’s a whole religion created around a dogma that all DACs sound the same. So let’s see if I should become a believer!

My criteria were as follows:
Most importantly the way it sounds. My preferences are with lots of dynamics, full body sound, with precise positioning and as much detail as can be had without compromising on the other criteria.
Technology: R2R seems to be the flavour of the year, but I also followed the latest developments in DS – that’s not critical to me as long as it sounds the way I like. Still, I wanted to have a proper R2R DAC among my weapons, and ideally something that is a recent design.
Formats: My library contains about 85% of redbook FLAC files, with the rest being mostly 24/48 and 24/96 vinyl rips and a sprinkle of 24/192 and DSD downloads. I’m not too phased about ability to handle DSD as my other two DACs can do that, and in practice I listen to versions of these recordings converted to PCM anyway.
Connectivity: This thing will have to slot into my system, so connectivity must be right. I wanted to keep the Hilo and connect the new DAC to it, ideally using AES/EBU (Coax and Toslink outputs are already taken). For the output my preference was XLR, although having RCA outputs as well would give me some extra flexibility. For the same reason USB and some S/PDIF flavour would be nice to have.
Budget: I started with assumption that $1500 to $2000 should do the trick, but that was never the hard limit.

That has quite nicely narrowed down the list of candidates to only a handful, so I started reading reviews and other available info, messaging owners and chatting to experts. With all the feedback gathered it was down to two: Metrum Menuet and Dangerous Sources Convert-2. And that’s where the hard part started, as I had to make decision without listening to either of them. I mean I could have arranged a demo at the store, but previous experience taught me that in my set up it may sound different. The Australian vendors I know (and that carry this type of gear) aren’t too keen on loaning the equipment, and their return policies are usually better not put to the test.
This is where sites like Head-fi become really useful, as  comparisons to other DACs I know by people who have similar requirements are much more helpful than professional reviews. Still, there’s not a lot info available on either of them.

I am happy to report that in the end, as of today, the Menuet has become a part of my setup. And what a part it is! So far I only managed to connect it and listened to a few of my test tracks on speakers. First impressions: it delivers all I wanted, right out of the box, without even as much as warming up. It’s as if so far I was watching the world through a dirty window and suddenly the glass has disappeared. Feels like I could touch the instruments in front of me. The sound is full, rich, dynamic and well extended.

OK, time to settle down, let the first thrill of purchase pass by and do much more of listening. But one thing I know already: the God of DACs hasn’t made them all equal. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #43 of 70
Hi Guys!

I am currently searching for DAC/s. Initially, i am looking for Auralic Vega (to partner with my Auralic Taurus) but these past few days, i was intrigued by these "R2R and Multibit DAC" implementations. If you can bear with me, here are some of my questions (pardon my ignorance)

Does the Menuet DAC be able to decode DSD?
This is NOS but how does it differ with the NAD 1050 USB DAC (that i currently have) since it shows what current output in the display?
Also i read somewhere the term "Forward Corrected" what does this mean?

Thank you guys for answering. :)

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back