Metrum Acoustics Menuet DAC
Feb 26, 2016 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

TokenGesture

Previously known as avl06
A thread for those of us interested in the most recent member of the Metrum Acoustics family - the NOS DAC Menuet.

Slotting in between the flagship Pavane and the (highly recommended) entry level Musette, the Menuet features four of the Dutch designers' proprietary Transient Technology R2R ladder modules (as featured in the Pavane).  According to Metrum:

"These modules can handle extreme high sampling rates but are limited to current industry standards which has its maximum (384kHz) on the USB input. Like the Pavane digital data will be split over two 12 bit clusters. Each dac cluster processes a portion of the data in the most linear region of the dac chips and as a result a full 24 bits range in the analog domain will be realized. Despite the single board design, channel separation is close to a dual mono operation. This contributes to the flawless positioning of instruments. The result of this process is an extremely fast and accurate behavior and brings  listening experience on a higher level ."

Read more here: http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/Menuet.html

I've just received mine and it is happily burning in (the manual recommends 3-4 weeks of use).

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 71
Well my first impressions - they are not kidding about the "flawless positioning of instruments".  Great sense of space around instruments and voices, and total consistency of placement in the sound field.  Really immersive stuff.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 71
Is this similar to Schiit DACs, in that it needs to be left on continuously for best sound? Or can it be turned off when not in use?

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 71
Well I have been burning in for a while. Weird issue I experienced with USB, some feint but distinct "popping" or clicking, a bit like vinyl... but this seems now to have resolved itself.  Never heard it with the other inputs.

As to the sound - it is great.  I actually find it hard to describe, falling back on cliches like "it just feels right"...

Suffice to say, no regrets on trading up to the Menuet.  It is a natural sound but in no way a boring one.. it rocks when it needs to rock, it is delicate when required... 

With the HEX, the LCDX and the HD800, really the best I have heard them

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 71
  Well I have been burning in for a while. Weird issue I experienced with USB, some feint but distinct "popping" or clicking, a bit like vinyl... but this seems now to have resolved itself.  Never heard it with the other inputs.

As to the sound - it is great.  I actually find it hard to describe, falling back on cliches like "it just feels right"...

Suffice to say, no regrets on trading up to the Menuet.  It is a natural sound but in no way a boring one.. it rocks when it needs to rock, it is delicate when required... 

With the HEX, the LCDX and the HD800, really the best I have heard them

did you come up from the musette?

I wonder how it compares to the yggy being in the same price range. 

May 13, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 71
  Yes, I went Octave Mk1 to Musette, and then Menuet, which is where I stick!

I am wanting to come up from the Musette for three reasons.

The Musette has a lower midrange thickness
It's bass is solid but not as tight and fast as I'd like
it's not balanced. 

I am soon to aim for a Menuet or Yggy but kind of don't know what to do and wish there were more impressions of the Menuet around for me to read before taking a jump. 

May 16, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 71
I am wanting to come up from the Musette for three reasons.

The Musette has a lower midrange cloudiness
It's bass is solid but not as tight and fast as I'd like
it's not balanced. 

I am soon to aim for a Menuet or Yggy but kind of don't know what to do and wish there were more impressions of the Menuet around for me to read before taking a jump. 
Hi grizzly

I haven't heard the Menuet or musette

I had heard the octave mkii and found it somewhat muddy

I then bought the Metrum hex (now discounted to clear out) and absolutely love it.

Very very natural and great level of spaciousness.

I then bought this
http://www.amazon.com/TC-Electronic-Resolution-Computer-Independent-Control/dp/B001PGMNRG
As per a recommendation here and with Metrum acoustics blessing when I asked them if it would suit for my active monitors. Does the job well and has woken up my humble jbl lsr2325's

I hugely recommend the hex or at least seriously looking at it as an option if you're looking for real naturalness and "analogue sound".

I'll try to find the review that I read that sums it up well/that I agree with

May 16, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 71
This is the review that sums it up well for me in terms of presentation.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/metrum-acoustics-hex-digital-converter/

The USB is a must as well as the Lundahl transformers upgrade. I think that is all standard in some countries.

Again I haven't heard the menuet so if that is supposed to go up from there ......

But I absolutely love my dac. Totally end game for me for that natural sound! Til death do us part.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 71
Is this similar to Schiit DACs, in that it needs to be left on continuously for best sound? Or can it be turned off when not in use?

Tomorrow I should receive mine... I am looking forward to it!

Regarding your question, this is the answer from Metrum:

In the first 3 weeks it is good to leave it switched on . In that time the sound quality will grow but especially in the first week. After this period it is good to switch it on 15 minutes before a listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back