Metrum Acoustics Menuet DAC
Jul 11, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 70
Tomorrow I should receive mine... I am looking forward to it!

Regarding your question, this is the answer from Metrum:

In the first 3 weeks it is good to leave it switched on . In that time the sound quality will grow but especially in the first week. After this period it is good to switch it on 15 minutes before a listening session.

Danke!

A local vendor is offering this DAC, along with amplifiers they build - I purchased one of the amplifiers, and planned to take it to a show. But my Gumby requires 24 hours warm-up. I asked if I could borrow the Musette. I had it for several weeks of listening, along with the show. Really small, convenient too in that it only takes a few minutes to warm up. I would certainly have made the purchase if it weren't for my already owning the Gumby. Particularly excellent presentation of analog recordings!

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 70
10 days of burn-in and I am already in love with my Menuet.
For the first time I feel that I have reached the Nirvana for my system.

The sound is extremely musical, natural and organic. There is no more "listening fatigue" even after 3-4 hours sessions.
Sound has presence and details that bring the musicians out from the speakers. Soundstage is huge and immersive.

Chapeau Metrum Acoustics!

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #18 of 70
I really wonder how this compares to the Gungnir Multibit for the same price. The GMBY is said to be 90% of the YGGY and even a preference. However, the Musette is nowhere near 90% of the Pavane. Even the sound signature is a little different. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 70
I have listened to the Yggdrasil and the Gumby, unfortunately not in my system.
The Menuet is on a different league than the Gumby. Before purchasing the Menuet I was considering also the Yggdrasil but the sound signature was more on the "bright" side and it didn't hit me so "strong".
Really happy to have choosed the Menuet at the end, It's a wonderful gem.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 70
I have never listened to the Pavane so I cannot answer you.

But I was suggested to get the Menuet over the Pavane from the seller for my system (Aaron no.1.a integrated amplifier and Klipsch Cornwall III speakers).
He said that the Pavane would have fit better more expensive systems (from 15k$).

Then I got the following answer from Metrum Acoustics:

"From Musette to Adagio you will find the same sound signature. But our “forward correction techniques” are used starting at the Menuet up to the Adagio. The result of this technique is a very deep and wider sound stage with more low level information. From a technical point of view by doubling the dac modules for instance will not give you the double quality. So from Menuet to Pavane is not a huge step. Same from Pavane to Adagio is not a huge step however to reach this steps a lot of effort is needed and therefore expensive steps. So probably with the Menuet you will have the best performance / price ratio"

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 70
10 days of burn-in and I am already in love with my Menuet.
For the first time I feel that I have reached the Nirvana for my system.

The sound is extremely musical, natural and organic. There is no more "listening fatigue" even after 3-4 hours sessions.
Sound has presence and details that bring the musicians out from the speakers. Soundstage is huge and immersive.

Chapeau Metrum Acoustics!

Glad to hear of a happy user!  What DAC were you using previously?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 70
I was using the Audio-gd NFB-7 with Melodious MX-U8 digital interface (l2s connection).

in case you wanted to feed your menuet via i2s.

I ordered an custom i2s input module from metrum for my musette (module is not listed on the site, would need to email them about it). I am waiting on my pink faun i2s bridge to ship though.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 70
To be honest I am using the usb input on the Menuet without any digital interface or usb isolator product. I was suggested to use just usb. Digital interface didn't bring any improvement for another owner (the seller).

Not sure if the usb input on the Menuet has galvanic isolation... I know that it's using a M2Tech OEM interface.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #27 of 70
I noticed an improvement from usb to regen on the musette. Then I noticed another improvement from using mutec 1.2 s/pdif convertor. I have a feeling even with mutec 3 there still would be jitter from the last conversion -- spdif back to i2s on the dac side.

I hope the pink faun i2s solution would be the end all for me, don't wanna *** around with usb, i2s, spdif or whatever anymore.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #29 of 70
The I2s module would be easy to install into the dac?
Unfortunately it's not an option for me at the moment because I am using a mini PC and I cannot insert any I2s bridge card...

But again... Metrum itself also suggested me to simply use the usb input:

"Extra digital interfaces are not necessary"

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 70
The i2s module replaces the USB module so it would be as simple as opening it up and swapping them.

Here is a picture of my i2s module. I still haven't installed it since I am waiting on the pink faun i2s card to come in first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back