Metro.fi 200v w/ mic for 24.99 @ amazon
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #76 of 94
I really like the "foam" type tips. Any suggestions on types that work for that? I went to best buy and they didn't have any of the Sony replacements that have been suggested in this thread.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might not be right for sleeping, as they do not sit flush with ear. Unless, of course, you can sleep sitting up. I use W3s when snoozing, as they are flush with my outer ear. So I would say no to that question.

frown.gif
You just cost me $10. I was going to buy those, but now I went and got the AL336.

smily_headphones1.gif

-Nkk

PS I know those are not good for sleeping, but I was going to get a set of IEMs at a lower price, and the sleeping thing was the only thing that made the 200s look better. So, if they are no good for sleeping in, I got what I have read to be the better one.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the "foam" type tips. Any suggestions on types that work for that? I went to best buy and they didn't have any of the Sony replacements that have been suggested in this thread.

Well, the Comply T400 foamies work with these phones. I have a pair on now, so that's one option.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
You just cost me $10. I was going to buy those, but now I went and got the AL336.

smily_headphones1.gif

-Nkk

PS I know those are not good for sleeping, but I was going to get a set of IEMs at a lower price, and the sleeping thing was the only thing that made the 200s look better. So, if they are no good for sleeping in, I got what I have read to be the better one.

Sorry bout that. I like both and will keep both for $60 total. Tired of buying and selling stuff, so getting these cheap (but not lousy) IEMs is a good way to feed the buying habit without going too nuts. That's my main motivation.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #81 of 94
They are the Sony hybrids, Sony EPEX10A/BLK Hybrid Replacement Earbuds (Black), and they also come in white. They are not foamies, but a newer single flange silicone sleeve with a much more rigid sound column than other standard silicone sleeves. They also are a little tough to get on the MFs or 336s, but will fit with a little elbow grease. I use them on all my wide canalphones (ADDIEMs, 200v, 336 and VSonics). They just work for me. Problem is, they are $12 now for 4 sizes, so if you only use one size, they are expensive. I traded my mediums and smalls to other members for large, and now have 4 pair of large and two pair of SS for my daughter's ADDIEMs.

They have the Sony tips on Amazon.com and Radioshack online, and in Sony stores, I believe. Not sure about BB or other big box retailers.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

They will block traffic noise, but not too bad if you use the silicone sleeves, rather than foamies. I think I posted on the other thread about it.

You said "If you don't jam the 200v in too far and use the silicone tips, you can hear some outside sounds." I had a follow-up question on the sound quality if you don't jam them in so far, as I usually lose bass, etc. with IEMs if I don't get a good seal. This seemed a better thread for 200v specific questions.

In any event, can I get both decent sound quality and hear a reasonable amount of traffic with the 200v?

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #85 of 94
Tough call, really. And only one way to find out. I don't use them as much as my other IEMs (W3s, ADDIEMs and 336s), so I don't have enough experience yet. I will try them out when I walk the dog in the a.m., in city traffic, and let you know what I think. To hear traffic, I really recommend an ear bud, the Yuin PK3, which is $39. Plenty of positives on that bud, and it's perfect for your purposes. Any in-ear is going to block out traffic pretty much if the music is playing.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #89 of 94
Okay, just back from the dog walk with the 200v, and I tried both the hybrids and the T400 foamies. Of course, the silicones let in a little bit more street noise, but to me, SQ is better with the foamies on these phones. Not that they sound bad with the silicones (to me, at least), but I favor the Complys.

To answer your question, like any in-ear phone, they pretty much block out most transient noise. You can hear a bus go by, for example, but these phones are not like wearing ear buds. The definitely isolate, so I am not sure what to tell you. I walked around with them safely (in a busy urban environment, use your eyes as much as anything when walking with headphones, and keep your hear on a swivel).

I know this doesn't answer your question really, but to me, you are not going to get an "open" sound with in-ear phones. Some (Etys, W3s) really block out sound, and others do it pretty well. But hearing the outside world with things stuck in your ears isn't really happening.

As for the ep630/cx300 comparison, I find the 200v treble and mids to be clearer and cleaner, and the bass, while pretty decent, is not flabby compared to those two phones (esp the CX300).

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #90 of 94
Quote:

To answer your question, like any in-ear phone, they pretty much block out most transient noise. You can hear a bus go by, for example, but these phones are not like wearing ear buds. The definitely isolate, so I am not sure what to tell you. I walked around with them safely (in a busy urban environment, use your eyes as much as anything when walking with headphones, and keep your hear on a swivel).

Thanks for checking and reporting. I'll have to ponder, or see if I can find appropriate earbuds with mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back