Metro.fi 200v w/ mic for 24.99 @ amazon
Jun 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Spawn

Head-Fier
I picked these up for 29.99 last week and so far I am very happy. Good base and warm sound. Does not isolate as well as my shures. This my Be a good thing as my coworkers were always sneaking up on me. I also like the black and sliver look with the clear rubber thingy. Very little microphonics from the cord. So for 25 I think these are a good deal.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 94
Amazon? Can you provide link, out of curiosity. I can't find that deal.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Nice catch. Can't beat that price. Can give them to my daughter someday, since she goes through HPs very fast (teenager). Now, she has a backup pair of ADDIEMs and these.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 94
I posted this earlier about getting these for my workout/lawn mowing cheap pair and the reaction I got was they weren't worth the money, which I found odd. They have to be better than the ones that came with the iphone and have a mic as well. I already have some Futuresonics as my "good" pair, just looking for a cheap deal.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, a great deal. i have a pair now. their shell is actually titanium (i think) and the driver too is coated in titanium. i will be reviewing them formally later, but they are very good. i think worth their price at 100$

Are you thinking of the 220s instead?

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, a great deal. i have a pair now. their shell is actually titanium (i think) and the driver too is coated in titanium. i will be reviewing them formally later, but they are very good. i think worth their price at 100$

I look forward to your review. I'm thinking about getting these.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 94
So I got a set today (I bought two on faith), and wow, they sound very nice. I think they eclipsed the ADDIEMS as the best price to sound value I've enjoyed in this crazy hobby. I immediately took off the stock tips and stuck on my Sony hybrid larges. Major comfort, wore them over my ear. Walked the dog for 45 minutes and listened via the Zune80 on shuffle. It all sounded nice, and they are not bass lite with a good seal. Not bass monsters either, but enough to be balanced. Mids and highs sounded clear and clean, and they also shine with acoustic music.

Oddly enough, they sound better with the Zune than with the Touch, even though they are made for the Touch/iPod. They aren't bad with the Touch, the HP out on the Zune is just superior, to me, so that could be the difference. The Zune also drives them a little better, but they are plenty loud with both.

On balance, I'd say for $25 it's a no-brainer. I actually like them more than the SF5 v2s I owned briefly. Not sure why, but from memory, I do (maybe it's the $25 pricetag vs. $169). Oh, these are obviously last year's model, since the 220v is listed on the UE site. Hence the deep discount. But they are still $66 and higher at places like Buy.com and other etailers. I am going to keep and use one pair, and give the other to my daughter as backup to her ADDIEMs (I have two pair of them and two pair of EP630s for her too). Teens really go through these things. Anyway, thanks to the OP. I think, as Howie Mandel might say, I made a very good deal.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 94
I bought a pair of these off Amazon last week for $30. They are better than any $30 phones I've had before. The bass is not as extended as some of my higher end phones, but it's better than my Etymotics 4s. The sound is a bit analytical. Perhaps this will change as the my phones break in. Comparing them to bass heavy phones such as the Monster Turbine (which I took back), I like these better. The flanges are a bit large for small ear canals. Still, these are good for a work out walk or other, rougher activities where you might not want to carry around $400 phones.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 94
By all means, try some other tips. I use the Sony hybrids (large) and they are much better. They also seem to bring up the bass somewhat. But you are right, perfect for backups when you don't want to risk your more expensive phones. Listening to them right now, not bad at all. I sold my Turbines too, and many other mid-level phones (kept the Westone 3s), and like these low cost options. You have an impressive collection of IEMs and DAPs, so it's good to see someone else verify that these phones are really a good buy at this price.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 94
I got this deal. It's a no brainer imo. I know alot of folks "poo-poo'd" this deal, but you tell me another iem with a built in iphone mic, ability to pause/skip tracks remotely and has decent sound for under $25 incl. shipping. Do they sound as good as my Futuresonics? Of course not. But didn't expect them to. Are they woth $25 as work out phones and backups? Absolutely. Again. No brainer and one of the best deals out there.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 94
Glad this worked out for you. Odd that this deal was ignored so much. In fact, between these and the $35 Apple Dual Driver IEMs from ebay I've purchased recently, I am happy with the Westone 3s as my main IEMs, and a few pairs of under-$40 phones as workout/backups. Really saves on the wallet. No more mid-priced phones for me (talking $100-$200 phones). Of course, in the case of the Atrios, they are mid-priced, but I figure they are your #1 IEMs, so you are thinking along the same lines.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 94
I love my Futuresonics...alot. They are amazingly good. I work in the audio/video production world and the audio guys I know, that is what they own. But I didn't want to "gunk" them up at the gym, so wanted a throw around pair. These fit the bill perfectly. Only issue I have so far is when I sweat, they tend to want to try to come out, so I need to experiment with some other tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back