Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #91 of 160
I remember visiting Overture years ago at their old location. Nice place, nice people from what I remember. Looking forward to another meet up.

If enough of you are interested in another alternative, possibly sooner, my neighborhood has a community center with rooms available for rent. Being a resident I can get the "small" room which has a max capacity of 30 people with tables for $90 for the first four hours plus $20 per additional hour. If we can get 20 people committed that's only about $5 each. I'm in Pleasant Ridge, right at 696 and Woodward.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #93 of 160

Is your cable silver?  or copper?  Balanced?  Or single-ended? How long?  Thanks!

I was just catching up on the thread.

JEspina456 has a copper SE Canare cable just like yours. I believe his was 10'. I can't wait to hear your impressions on the HD800 via balanced. Sorry if he answered already.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #94 of 160
 I sold Bruce Brisson MIT cables , back in the 1980s , $500 for a 10 foot pair , made quite an AB demo , had a loaner pair that always ended up selling a pair to anyone that took them home to try .  Great Stuff .   Karen Sumner was the Brisson Rep. , she now owns and operates Transparent Cables , out East in Maine .   
  I'm an un-balanced patron , nothing against Balanced , mind you , just Balanced runs are rather Pro and I never got into that segment of the Music Industry .   
  Sennheiser are Cable people , being Pro Audio , all Pro Audio is made up of fussy Cable people .   Even Professor Johnson of Reference Recording makes his own Cabling Systems , tons of wire hook-ups in the Pro world , lots of noise and ground loop possibilities to eliminate for these Studios to do their stuff .  
 I think that I liked your hook-up , still a color matched cable system of the needed length will be a nice addition .
  TonyKaz 
ps. Schiit folks are not Cable people as are many of the Electronics Manufacturers , for some reason .  Schiit recommend Monoprice wire as do many , many others . A Brisson and/or Transparent may cost more than any of the Schiit electronics . 

Interestingly enough, the Schiit PYST cables appear to be Straight Wire branded cables, which are very high quality. Mixed message from the Schiit boys? At any rate, I will have some balanced PYST patch cables arriving on Tuesday. I will report back on them as well as my newly purchased Gungnir DAC! Also made an impulse buy and have a Schiit Vali coming tomorrow. I will report back on my first tube purchase.

Next up...a member of the Audeze (or possibly something called an HD800) family will be moving in with mine...my wife cold not be anymore excited.
biggrin.gif

So excited!.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #95 of 160
I really like making my own cables with Mogami. It's nice wire and fairly cheap too. I've got about 90 feet of it here in my closet. Haha

I like the Mogami as well. I've been using the Canare albeit the thickness can be an issue for some connectors. I just like the weight and substance of it.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #96 of 160
Can't wait to start planning the next meet!

Looks like Overture Audio in A2 will be the site, sometime in March the time. I like the idea of trying to get some vendors this time...I'm open to new ideas as well for the Spring 2015 meet...

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #97 of 160
Oh, and by the way...I may be bringing one of the younger head-fiers in the clan...this little guy:

Those are my balanced AKG K702s but he'll be bringing his Beats Solo 2, which he bought with gift cards from his 9th birthday. Like father, like son, I suppose.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #98 of 160

Hello Mr. Abarth Man ,

Nice young man there .

A new Balanced DAC ? ,  what were you using all this time ?  
 I have a set of PSYT , nice enough stuff .  
  What do you get for "she who must be obeyed" , 
  just asking in light of you being a balanced heading person ? 
  A nice Mercedes Convertible seems about the right amount of Balance to me , does it to you ? 
  My wife only asks for a new Condo , phew , it could've been much worse ! 
  Tony in Michigan 

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #100 of 160
oppps , you're not Abarth Man , sorry , your the East Side Guy with the Schiit stuff .  

Tony in Michigan 

You are correct, Tony Kaz.

As much as Sterling Heights is technically on the Eastside, I like to think of it as the east side of the DMZ...

As far as what she gets, she is quite forgiving of my habit. In this case, I believe I get the new Audeze cans and balanced DAC and I had to take her, my daughter and her two friends to the haunted hayride, dinner, and to see the decorated homes on Tilson St. in Romeo. That's the true Eastside I might add.

Not too bad.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #101 of 160
Hello again ,

Hayride and Dinner , that's it ???  

West Side Ladies expect considerably more , Hayride & Dinner would just be for starters , a tiny snack to hold them over whist waiting on that Cruise Ship in the Med. Greek Isles + Southern France for a bit of Shopping .   
Hmm , maybe I should've married a Romeo Girl or not get married at all .  
Still , the DAC is only 750 or so , isn't it ?

Tony Kaz

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #102 of 160
Hello again ,

Hayride and Dinner , that's it ???  

West Side Ladies expect considerably more , Hayride & Dinner would just be for starters , a tiny snack to hold them over whist waiting on that Cruise Ship in the Med. Greek Isles + Southern France for a bit of Shopping .   
Hmm , maybe I should've married a Romeo Girl or not get married at all .  
Still , the DAC is only 750 or so , isn't it ?

Tony Kaz

Should have went with a Clinton Township girl.

The DAC was $850 but I also have the new headphones that I have to reconcile with her.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #103 of 160

I was just catching up on the thread.

JEspina456 has a copper SE Canare cable just like yours. I believe his was 10'. I can't wait to hear your impressions on the HD800 via balanced. Sorry if he answered already.

I can't wait either. I heard it has arrived, but I don't arrive for another week +! Anticipation....

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #104 of 160
Yes it is 10 foot. Looks and sounds great. For those who say that the cable makes no difference, it is not true. Like I said before, the custom cable that Zabzaf made for me makes my HiFiMan HE-400's sound flatter/wider/neutral.

I'm excited to hear that Overture Audio may be the site for the next meet. I fell in love with the store. Even picked up my Grado 80s there. Can't wait!

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #105 of 160
Not sure if anyone cares here...but I got bored waiting for my Vali to arrive today. As such, I made my SR80e cans a little more "versatile":

Users who are viewing this thread

Back