Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #166 of 299
No surprise. 
smile.gif

Edit: maybe I'm too trusting... where is the designation?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #168 of 299
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #169 of 299
If it has a range of 100-240 Vac without having to flip any toggle switch on the wall wart, then it will be a Switchmode Power Supply.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #170 of 299
@Gary B:

Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 12V Channel Island Audio power supply unit.  If the unit is as good as their customer service, then I know I won't regret the purchase.  As you said, response has been immediate and personalized.  Thanks so much for the tip!

My expectations is that this unit will offer a subtle improvement, but I will have to test it very carefully and spend some time on it, as A/B comparisons will not be immediate as I'll need to switch the power supplies and trust my ears.  I should get it by early next week and will report my findings.  The best case scenario is that this configuration of the iFi on the USB 5V end and the Channels Islands Audio on the 12V end will perform for $530 as well or better as the $1,250 Meridian Power Supply.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #171 of 299
I'm surprised it took you so long. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, your expectations regarding your upgrades match mine and I'm very interested to know your findings.  You're most welcome for the referral.

BTW, is Dusty sending you a DC power cord for a 2.1mm center pin, 2.5mm, or both?

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #172 of 299
  I'm surprised it took you so long. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, your expectations regarding your upgrades match mine and I'm very interested to know your findings.  You're most welcome for the referral.

BTW, is Dusty sending you a DC power cord for a 2.1mm center pin, 2.5mm, or both?

Thanks again GaryB!

Dusty will be sending me a 24" DC power cord with a 2.5mm center pin that will plug into a 2.1mm adapter.  He said it should work just fine. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #174 of 299
If this voices like Meridian's legendary 508.24 then those that have heard that, will want to hear/own this. In it's day, the 508.24 was considered perhaps the only digital source that approached vinyl, or that the very least, sounded analogue. Used 508.24s, if you can find them, still comand around $1,000.

The 508.24 and Meridian sound in general, has a very relaxed non-fatiguing signature. (I find some Chord products and Audio Aero products, all high end, to also have that "vinyl"-like sound). So, if it's a DAC first with headphone amp tacked on, let's see how it stacks up against other 2Kish DACs, (Chord Qute, Ayre, etc.). Then we'll worry about the wall-wart issue...which to me seems more like a marketing error...as I'd rather have a $3250 DAC with 100% of the Meridian house sound, then a $2,000 box that's only 85% there.

Internals be damned, the only true test is a shootout with price competing competitors (top-shelf ALO comes to mind). And it better sound as good as the better 2-2.5K stand-alone DACs out there (Ayre, Chord, etc.). If it does, I could care less if the internal components cost $50... we don't listen to the cost of the components, or even the engineering, we listen to the sound.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #175 of 299
  If this voices like Meridian's legendary 508.24 then those that have heard that, will want to hear/own this. In it's day, the 508.24 was considered perhaps the only digital source that approached vinyl, or that the very least, sounded analogue. Used 508.24s, if you can find them, still comand around $1,000.

The 508.24 and Meridian sound in general, has a very relaxed non-fatiguing signature. (I find some Chord products and Audio Aero products, all high end, to also have that "vinyl"-like sound). So, if it's a DAC first with headphone amp tacked on, let's see how it stacks up against other 2Kish DACs, (Chord Qute, Ayre, etc.). Then we'll worry about the wall-wart issue...which to me seems more like a marketing error...as I'd rather have a $3250 DAC with 100% of the Meridian house sound, then a $2,000 box that's only 85% there.

Internals be damned, the only true test is a shootout with price competing competitors (top-shelf ALO comes to mind). And it better sound as good as the better 2-2.5K stand-alone DACs out there (Ayre, Chord, etc.). If it does, I could care less if the internal components cost $50... we don't listen to the cost of the components, or even the engineering, we listen to the sound.

I assume this is some type of joke.    
rolleyes.gif

It's almost offensive.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #176 of 299
I'm very interested in a comparison with the Naim DAC-V1 as well. I'm still trying to find a good pairing for my LCD-X. I can listen to a Naim here (and have. It sounds very, very nice), but I don't know anywhere here that I can listen to the meridian prime. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #178 of 299

I didn't see the joke. Care to explain it?

the phrase "we don't listen to the engineering"

Who do you think designs this stuff, the Tooth Fairy?

It's like looking at a painting and ignoring or not acknowledging the artist.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #179 of 299
  @Gary B:

Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 12V Channel Island Audio power supply unit.  If the unit is as good as their customer service, then I know I won't regret the purchase.  As you said, response has been immediate and personalized.  Thanks so much for the tip!

My expectations is that this unit will offer a subtle improvement, but I will have to test it very carefully and spend some time on it, as A/B comparisons will not be immediate as I'll need to switch the power supplies and trust my ears.  I should get it by early next week and will report my findings.  The best case scenario is that this configuration of the iFi on the USB 5V end and the Channels Islands Audio on the 12V end will perform for $530 as well or better as the $1,250 Meridian Power Supply.

ticos442, have you received the Channel Islands power supply yet?  Any initial impressions?

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #180 of 299

ticos442, have you received the Channel Islands power supply yet?  Any initial impressions?

I got the unit yesterday, and it's in burn-in mode at the moment.  Dusty recommended to run continuous music play for a couple of days to allow the capacitors in the unit to settle and go through multiple charge/discharge cycles.   I also have a head cold at the moment which is limiting my critical listening abilities.

Will perform tests early next week and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back