Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #346 of 1,003
Hello,

I didn't listen to the Explorer 2 but I did listen to the Dragonfly 1.2, and it was a great disapointment. From what I have read so far, the Explorer 2 is in a league of its own. Not only does it decode MQA, but it is also equipped with an "Apodising Filter", which greatly improves the playback of RBCD file (.ALAC, .FLAC, .WAV) and even MP3 files! And all of this costs $299 in the US! 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #347 of 1,003
  Hello,

I didn't listen to the Explorer 2 but I did listen to the Dragonfly 1.2, and it was a great disapointment. From what I have read so far, the Explorer 2 is in a league of its own. Not only does it decode MQA, but it is also equipped with an "Apodising Filter", which greatly improves the playback of RBCD file (.ALAC, .FLAC, .WAV) and even MP3 files! And all of this costs $299 in the US! 

I assume you are looking for a particular sound or for a setup to match with a particular headphone you already own. The more specifics you provide, the more helpful the headphone community can be!

In my past, the AudioQuest DragonFly 1.2 was not a disappointment. The Explorer2 was certainly an upgrade! However I am much more concerned with what about the DragonFly you disliked? Say for example, you were using a HiFiMan HE-6 headphone - then both the DragonFly and Explorer2 would be a disappointment:

1. What headphones are you using?
  2. What setup did you use before the DragonFly?
  3. What did you find to be disappointing with regards to the DragonFly "upgrade"?

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #348 of 1,003
I have the original Explorer and I thought it was a pretty good product but I found to be much better paired with an Objective2 amplifier (which also had no hiss in comparison to somewhat on the Explorer). I wanted to ditch the Objective2 and have a fully portable USB powered DAC/amp that is on the same or better level, is there a big improvement in the amp section of the Explorer 2? I was looking at the iFi micro DAC2/iDSD as well though they have features I don't need and are less portable (and more expensive). Currently using Westone ES5 earphones.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #349 of 1,003
  I have the original Explorer and I thought it was a pretty good product but I found to be much better paired with an Objective2 amplifier (which also had no hiss in comparison to somewhat on the Explorer). 

I have also a Explorer 1. I found it's very good as a DAC. I paired it with an tube amplifier from Taobao to drive my HD 600, I'm very satisfied with the sound. It's much better than my another budgeted, though renowned DAC/amp. from Taobao. From my research, it seems Explorer 2 improved limited as a DAC.
I want update the DAC in the future. I want a desktop DAC. It's basically only for HD600. I just wonder anyone here can give me some suggestions?

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #350 of 1,003
  I have the original Explorer and I thought it was a pretty good product but I found to be much better paired with an Objective2 amplifier (which also had no hiss in comparison to somewhat on the Explorer). I wanted to ditch the Objective2 and have a fully portable USB powered DAC/amp that is on the same or better level, is there a big improvement in the amp section of the Explorer 2? I was looking at the iFi micro DAC2/iDSD as well though they have features I don't need and are less portable (and more expensive). Currently using Westone ES5 earphones.

I agree that the Explorer2 upgrade is limited to the DAC, with the improved proprietary Meridian processing techniques. However I also would state that the lowered output impedance makes the Explorer2 pair better with lower impedance headphones. I'm not familiar with the Westone ES5 earphones - if these are low impedance, they will do better with the Explorer2. However there is a cost delta, which must be considered. Most folks were able to snag an Explorer (version 1) for around $150, while the Explorer2 is twice that cost. Unless you use the amp for low impedance headphones, the upgrade is not worth the cost. You may want to stick with your external amplifier.

I have also a Explorer 1. I found it's very good as a DAC. I paired it with an tube amplifier from Taobao to drive my HD 600, I'm very satisfied with the sound. It's much better than my another budgeted, though renowned DAC/amp. from Taobao. From my research, it seems Explorer 2 improved limited as a DAC.
I want update the DAC in the future. I want a desktop DAC. It's basically only for HD600. I just wonder anyone here can give me some suggestions?

There are other USB DAC, in the similar price range as the Explorer2 - none exactly match the DAC section. The LH Labs Geek Out V2 is a very detailed DAC and plenty capable amp. I personally did not find it as lush, but your mileage may vary. The Apogee Groove mates very well with the high impedance load of the HD600. Though I like the DAC and do find it fairly lush, I still think there is better detail in the Explorer2. CEntrance has a DAC soon to be released, which may provide a third option. As it is soon to be released, I have no comments on the sound signature.

Sorry that I cannot fully recommend another amp. I love the sound signature of the Explorer2, and have not found an amp with its signature and just more power.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #351 of 1,003
  I agree that the Explorer2 upgrade is limited to the DAC, with the improved proprietary Meridian processing techniques. However I also would state that the lowered output impedance makes the Explorer2 pair better with lower impedance headphones. I'm not familiar with the Westone ES5 earphones - if these are low impedance, they will do better with the Explorer2. However there is a cost delta, which must be considered. Most folks were able to snag an Explorer (version 1) for around $150, while the Explorer2 is twice that cost. Unless you use the amp for low impedance headphones, the upgrade is not worth the cost. You may want to stick with your external amplifier.

There are other USB DAC, in the similar price range as the Explorer2 - none exactly match the DAC section. The LH Labs Geek Out V2 is a very detailed DAC and plenty capable amp. I personally did not find it as lush, but your mileage may vary. The Apogee Groove mates very well with the high impedance load of the HD600. Though I like the DAC and do find it fairly lush, I still think there is better detail in the Explorer2. CEntrance has a DAC soon to be released, which may provide a third option. As it is soon to be released, I have no comments on the sound signature.

Sorry that I cannot fully recommend another amp. I love the sound signature of the Explorer2, and have not found an amp with its signature and just more power.

Thank you, Sheld. I do not want to get another portable DAC. I want a desktop one. I saw you have Bifrost. How about it compared to Explorer 2? Any experience of Modi 2 Uber? Thakn you!

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #352 of 1,003
  Thank you, Sheld. I do not want to get another portable DAC. I want a desktop one. I saw you have Bifrost. How about it compared to Explorer 2? Any experience of Modi 2 Uber? Thakn you!

Apples and oranges. I should state up front that these are my opinions! Your ears, your gears may vary. I did a listening test comparing a few headphone amplifiers I owned - basically the winner was what I would keep and the other three I would sell. I used the Explorer2 to make the comparison. So I heard it connected to all my amps, and fell in love with the sound through one of the amplifiers. When the comparison was done, I switched back to my Bifrost.

Long story short, I could go either way - Bifrost or Explorer2. Both are fine DACs in different ways. The Bifrost did not sound vastly better than the Explorer2. Would be very interested to hear how the Modi 2 Uber sounds. I've heard it may be comparable to the Bifrost. I am keeping my Bifrost for future upgrades
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #353 of 1,003

Apples and oranges. I should state up front that these are my opinions! Your ears, your gears may vary. I did a listening test comparing a few headphone amplifiers I owned - basically the winner was what I would keep and the other three I would sell. I used the Explorer2 to make the comparison. So I heard it connected to all my amps, and fell in love with the sound through one of the amplifiers. When the comparison was done, I switched back to my Bifrost.

Long story short, I could go either way - Bifrost or Explorer2. Both are fine DACs in different ways. The Bifrost did not sound vastly better than the Explorer2. Would be very interested to hear how the Modi 2 Uber sounds. I've heard it may be comparable to the Bifrost. I am keeping my Bifrost for future upgrades
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 Understand. Thank you!

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #354 of 1,003
I love my Meridian Explorer 2.. I also own the Audioquest Dragonfly and tried them both with my Shure SE846. The Meridian Explorer 2 adds more precision to the IEM's and i think it is a very good DAC for the price. I also use it for audio production (with the ASIO drivers) and had no issues.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #355 of 1,003
Im intriqued

im reading an article over at beyond high resolution .

Im near pulling the trigger on a new DAC , maybe the Teac UD503 then i hear of MQA

What i read so far is that one can still use their DAC , all id need is an MQA decoder somewhere in the

chain if i want to play MQA .

If so thats great news as i ve waited too long for DACs and capabilities always changing before i buy one lol

So could i still play MQA as MQA with a MQA decoder through another DAC (Ie UD 503 ) .

Cheers

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #356 of 1,003
  Im intriqued

im reading an article over at beyond high resolution .

Im near pulling the trigger on a new DAC , maybe the Teac UD503 then i hear of MQA

What i read so far is that one can still use their DAC , all id need is an MQA decoder somewhere in the

chain if i want to play MQA .

If so thats great news as i ve waited too long for DACs and capabilities always changing before i buy one lol

So could i still play MQA as MQA with a MQA decoder through another DAC (Ie UD 503 ) .

Cheers

I think I understand what you are saying - the end result of MQA is nothing more than PCM of a higher resolution. So if a box could digitally output (in either COAX or Toslink format) the final PCM data, you'd be set!

Only I suspect you are combining the two generations of Meridian Explorer, the original Explorer and this newer version Explorer 2. The original version of the Explorer took music from USB input and had three options for output:

1. Headphone amplified
  2. Line output
  3. Toslink digital output

This newer version of the Explorer 2 has only line-output and headphone output. There is no digital pass-thru output from the Explorer 2, which is the only version to date capable of decoding MQA.

Sorry 
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #357 of 1,003
Thank you

So to be clear , if i buy a DAC now Ie Teac ud 503 , i still should be able to use a transport/decoder of MQA and send it decoded to the DAC and play

in MQA resolution ?

I want a DAC now and would hate to wait any longer for changing technologies

Cheers

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #358 of 1,003
I would suggest going ahead and buying your DAC for two reasons:

1. First, MQA simply has not taken off as yet. I've personally been waiting the past year to see if it would be adapted as part of an existing streaming service, such as Tidal. I have not seen this as yet. Also the number of products available today is quite few. The Explorer 2 is likely the only reasonably priced product, with nowhere close to the feature set of your Teac. I just don't see any evidence of MQA becoming a major standard soon.
  2. Second, if it does become more widely adopted, it would still likely require something proprietary from Meridian or another high-end brand. If they do it correctly, they'll produce a decoder, which will be compatible with all PCM DAC (i.e. your existing DAC). If they do it in a more proprietary way, it would require a purchase for something not yet (or likely soon) available.

Simply, there's a lot of conjecture on how this technology will be implemented. I'd suggest enjoying your music today 
biggrin.gif

Happy listening!

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #360 of 1,003
I have been thinking about DACs for a while as I use both an iMac and MacBook Pro.  I was considering the Meridian Explorer 2 for the MB and the Fostex HP-A4 for the iMac.  I have a couple of questions:

1 - Is the ME2 good enough to use with both meaning that I wouldn't need the Fostex?

2 - Which of the two are considered better - Fostex or Meridian.  For the iMac, if I don't just use the ME2, I want a desktop with optical input - any better options than the Fostex?

3 - I'll be buying a new MacBook next year and believe that the DACs in the new ones are pretty good - would I need an ME2 with an MBP?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back