Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #91 of 1,003
This is my first post on this forum, and the Explorer2  is the first external DAC that I have used.  I am hoping it will improve the sound output of my 2013 MacBook Pro and 2014 iMac Retina.  The output of the Explorer2 drives a pair of self-powered desktop speakers (Sony SRS-88, surprisingly good), or Sennheiser Momentum headphones, or occasionally my main Hi-Fi system (mostly vintage gear: Counterpoint SA-3000 preamp, Aragon 4004 amp, Acoustat 3 full-range electrostatic speakers).

So far I am a bit underwhelmed by the performance of the Explorer2.  The audible difference between it and the native DACs in my Macs is very subtle.  Some music sounds better through the Explorer, some pieces sound better through the native DACs.  I can hear a bit more clarity when listening to very well-mastered material.  But to my ears, adding the Explorer2 is not an "OMG!" improvement on all recordings.  I have certainly heard far more significant differences when upgrading speakers, amps, and phono gear.

Currently I am testing 44.1k/16bit digital files downloaded from the iTunes store, and others backed up from my CD collection.  I have also tried music from the Tidal streaming service (using their one week free trial).  I have not tried files with higher sample size or sample rate.  Are there sources where I can obtain high-bit rate FLAC or ALAC files without having to purchase entire albums?  Are there any MQA demos available for download?

Meridian's set up instructions for Mac recommend selecting an appropriate sample rate in the Audio Midi Setup application.  If I am only playing 44.1k files, is there any reason to choose a higher rate in this app?  I understand that the Explorer2 resamples a 44.1k stream at a higher rate.  Is there any advantage to doing the resampling in the Mac or in the Explorer2?  If I aquire some files coded with higher sample rates, is it necessary for me to change the setting in Audio Midi Setup whenever I switch between high and low rate files?

If I play a CD in the optical drive of a Mac, is there any advantage to using Explorer2?  In this case I don’t know whether the Mac relays the digital data directly from the disk or runs it through an internal DAC stage (and then converts back to digital before sending it out the USB port).

Meridian announced that they are partnering with Tidal, who will be streaming MQA content.  People who purchase the Explorer2 will receive a three month subscription on Tidal.  Has anyone received instructions on how to activate this?

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #92 of 1,003
  This is my first post on this forum, and the Explorer2  is the first external DAC that I have used.  I am hoping it will improve the sound output of my 2013 MacBook Pro and 2014 iMac Retina.  The output of the Explorer2 drives a pair of self-powered desktop speakers (Sony SRS-88, surprisingly good), or Sennheiser Momentum headphones, or occasionally my main Hi-Fi system (mostly vintage gear: Counterpoint SA-3000 preamp, Aragon 4004 amp, Acoustat 3 full-range electrostatic speakers).

So far I am a bit underwhelmed by the performance of the Explorer2.  The audible difference between it and the native DACs in my Macs is very subtle.  Some music sounds better through the Explorer, some pieces sound better through the native DACs.  I can hear a bit more clarity when listening to very well-mastered material.  But to my ears, adding the Explorer2 is not an "OMG!" improvement on all recordings.  I have certainly heard far more significant differences when upgrading speakers, amps, and phono gear.

Currently I am testing 44.1k/16bit digital files downloaded from the iTunes store, and others backed up from my CD collection.  I have also tried music from the Tidal streaming service (using their one week free trial).  I have not tried files with higher sample size or sample rate.  Are there sources where I can obtain high-bit rate FLAC or ALAC files without having to purchase entire albums?  Are there any MQA demos available for download?

Meridian's set up instructions for Mac recommend selecting an appropriate sample rate in the Audio Midi Setup application.  If I am only playing 44.1k files, is there any reason to choose a higher rate in this app?  I understand that the Explorer2 resamples a 44.1k stream at a higher rate.  Is there any advantage to doing the resampling in the Mac or in the Explorer2?  If I aquire some files coded with higher sample rates, is it necessary for me to change the setting in Audio Midi Setup whenever I switch between high and low rate files?

If I play a CD in the optical drive of a Mac, is there any advantage to using Explorer2?  In this case I don’t know whether the Mac relays the digital data directly from the disk or runs it through an internal DAC stage (and then converts back to digital before sending it out the USB port).

Meridian announced that they are partnering with Tidal, who will be streaming MQA content.  People who purchase the Explorer2 will receive a three month subscription on Tidal.  Has anyone received instructions on how to activate this?

Something sounds a bit wrong here, in response to the CD drive, all audio output should be coming through the explorer, have you checked audio midi settings? What I will say, sometimes the best equipment doesn't give that WOW immediate effect, it grows on you, then a few weeks you take it out of the chain and you then realise. Either way, I hope you get this sorted out. Huge WOW effects can often end up being tiring, in my experience. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #93 of 1,003
  Me too. I'm not versed by any means on this, but logically speaking, how can it be better, if it wasn't there in the first place. 

What are you using with the E2 Josh? Mine arrives next week, got a schiit wryd to power it. I've heard so many good reports about the iFi USB Power having a great impact on the explorer 1 so I took the gamble. 

As noted above, I compared it as a DAC only (using the line out) with my main DAC. As a DAC/headamp, I've tried it with my Phillips Fidelio L1s and my ATHM50s. I haven't tried the Meridian with my other cans, yet, though, since I bought it mainly as something to bring to use in coffee shops with my Macbook, and the Phillips and ATHM50s are my main traveling headphones. So I haven't tried using an external power device to supplement the USB drive, but I can only expect that would make it sound even better.

FWIW, I'm still really impressed with the Explorer2, despite not being a fan of upsampling. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #94 of 1,003
  Something sounds a bit wrong here, in response to the CD drive, all audio output should be coming through the explorer, have you checked audio midi settings? What I will say, sometimes the best equipment doesn't give that WOW immediate effect, it grows on you, then a few weeks you take it out of the chain and you then realise. Either way, I hope you get this sorted out. Huge WOW effects can often end up being tiring, in my experience. 

Since my iMac and MacBook Pro do not have built-in optical disk drives, I use Apple's USB SuperDrive.  Audio MIDI Setup does not show the SuperDrive, but it does show that audio output is directed through the Explorer2.  No problem with playing CDs.  I was just wondering if the digital data from the CD is sent directly to the Explorer2 DAC, or whether it is converted to analog in the Mac before being converted back to digital for the USB port.  That seems unlikely to me, but I don't know how the Mac processes audio inputs internally.

As for my lack of an OMG (or WOW) reaction to Explorer2, let me just say this. I worked with audio gear, as a hobbyist and professionally, for many years.  I've had experiences, when comparing components, where one device was obviously superior to another. I've also witnessed many comparisons where the differences were harder to discern, and judgments could be swayed by the nature of the source material, personal preferences and biases. But I'm now retired, and I have not been keeping up with the latest stuff.  I was intrigued by the technology in the Explorer2, and curious to see if it improved the playback of my digital music library.  My initial impressions are mixed, as noted in my earlier post.  But, as you said, my opinions may evolve, and I certainly want to find out how well it works on high bitrate and MQA encoded files.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #95 of 1,003

Since my iMac and MacBook Pro do not have built-in optical disk drives, I use Apple's USB SuperDrive.  Audio MIDI Setup does not show the SuperDrive, but it does show that audio output is directed through the Explorer2.  No problem with playing CDs.  I was just wondering if the digital data from the CD is sent directly to the Explorer2 DAC, or whether it is converted to analog in the Mac before being converted back to digital for the USB port.  That seems unlikely to me, but I don't know how the Mac processes audio inputs internally.

As for my lack of an OMG (or WOW) reaction to Explorer2, let me just say this. I worked with audio gear, as a hobbyist and professionally, for many years.  I've had experiences, when comparing components, where one device was obviously superior to another. I've also witnessed many comparisons where the differences were harder to discern, and judgments could be swayed by the nature of the source material, personal preferences and biases. But I'm now retired, and I have not been keeping up with the latest stuff.  I was intrigued by the technology in the Explorer2, and curious to see if it improved the playback of my digital music library.  My initial impressions are mixed, as noted in my earlier post.  But, as you said, my opinions may evolve, and I certainly want to find out how well it works on high bitrate and MQA encoded files.

I'm not versed enough to know about the super-drive unfortunately. 

The explorer should require some burn in, but even still, you should be hearing a bit more than you're reporting from out of the box. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, I had the E1, there was a notable difference over the output of a macbook air. Notable from the off. 

With regards to MQA, did you read that guy's comments about it from the CES expo, he briefly listened to Dire Straits and a Steely Dan track. He outlined that the difference was as if he has been listening to robot vocals prior to the MQA. It has certainly made me look forward to checking out MQA myself, possibly via Tidal by the sounds of things. 

I had the explorer 1 since its release so I hope to be able to give a valid comparison, I will report soon as it arrives (possibly tomorrow). I am also looking forward to using it with an external linear 5v supply, namely the schiit wyrd. 

I am still a little shocked and confused by your findings, DACs never yield the biggest improvements or differences in my experience but either way it should be quite easily discernible. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #96 of 1,003
My E2 arrived this morning and i can't stop using it.I wanted to improve the lousy sound on my 6 year old macbook.I have never heard sound like this from a laptop ever.I have a Grado SR125 (no longer available) and my new SR225i.I found fairly quickly that everything sounds better when my mac is set to 192k.  2ch. 24 bit. which lights up all 3 white lights on the E2.More experimenting though should help.I have never used an external DAC before so i think i am probably  noticing  a huge difference compared to some of you guys who have been at this hobby for awhile and have lots of good gear.I was wondering  how all this works regarding the macbook.Are any of the audio circuits still used in the macbook? or is it  a case of feeding a digital stream straight to the E2?

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #97 of 1,003
  .I found fairly quickly that everything sounds better when my mac is set to 192k.  2ch. 24 bit. which lights up all 3 white lights on the E2.More experimenting though should help.I have never used an external DAC before so i think i am probably  noticing  a huge difference compared to some of you guys who have been at this hobby for awhile and have lots of good gear.I was wondering  how all this works regarding the macbook.Are any of the audio circuits still used in the macbook? or is it  a case of feeding a digital stream straight to the E2?

Generally speaking, you want to set the Audio Midi settings on your Mac to match the resolution of your source files (typically 44,100 unless you have Hi Rez files). Otherwise, you are using your mac to upsample before sending to the dac.  That said, no harm in doing whatever sounds best to you (that should count for something). 

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #98 of 1,003
May be a difficult one to answer but would the Exploer 2 or the original Explorer be an improvement on my current amp/dac combo of Hifimediy Sabre U2 + Graham Slee Voyager.

I know it would be a neater all in one solution but would it better my current set up in terms of outright sound quality. I rarely listen to music this way (via my Vaio laptop) but when I do its at home. via my Beyer DT150 (250ohm) or DT440 (32ohm) & PFR-V1. Sounds particularly impressive with the Sonys bringing much needed warmth and bass.

How would the Meridian compare ?

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #99 of 1,003
My E2 arrived today, having owned the V1 since its release, it's safe to say I am very familiar with it. Although a few days ago it was sold on. 

This morning I attached the E2 using the custom cable, adjusted audio midi settings and off I went. Instantly, it took me about 5 seconds to realise how much of an improvement this is over the E1. My system in this instance is a simple one, MBA, External SDD, AIFF files, Audirvana+, E2 into IE800.

There is more realism, more separation to notes across the entire spectrum, the soundstage subsequently despite using IEM's is clearly sightly wider. For the outlay of £200, I am very, very happy with this purchase. I haven't tried any hi-res material yet as IMO most of them are tosh anyway. I buy according to the Steve Hoffman forum, a lot of Japanese masterings are often superior IME.

I am now waiting for my Schiit Wyrd to arrive, that said, I would, and perhaps will happily live with what i'm hearing at present.

Kudos to Meridian, they haven't disappointed. Again, I am one very happy E2 user.   

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #100 of 1,003
  Generally speaking, you want to set the Audio Midi settings on your Mac to match the resolution of your source files (typically 44,100 unless you have Hi Rez files). Otherwise, you are using your mac to upsample before sending to the dac.  That said, no harm in doing whatever sounds best to you (that should count for something). 

Why not use the app decibel, last time I looked it was free, it works in the background and changes sample rates on the fly automatically for you. I use Audirvana and Amarra which do the same plus a bit more, but they are pricey,especially the latter. Which does sound better IMO. But the former has a better UI and also functions better. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #101 of 1,003
  May be a difficult one to answer but would the Exploer 2 or the original Explorer be an improvement on my current amp/dac combo of Hifimediy Sabre U2 + Graham Slee Voyager.

I know it would be a neater all in one solution but would it better my current set up in terms of outright sound quality. I rarely listen to music this way (via my Vaio laptop) but when I do its at home. via my Beyer DT150 (250ohm) or DT440 (32ohm) & PFR-V1. Sounds particularly impressive with the Sonys bringing much needed warmth and bass.

How would the Meridian compare ?

FWIW, I had the HiFiMeDIY Sabre combined DAC/amp (the larger box one, not the USB dongle), and I definitely prefer the Explorer2. IMO, Sabre DACs have an initial "wow" factor, but compared to some other DACs, including the Explorer2, I think the Sabre DACs end up sounding artificial (notably in the thump/thwack of the bass and the sharp sparkle of the highs), especially over long listens. The Explorer 2 has a very natural sound, and is well-balanced across the spectrum. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #103 of 1,003
  Why not use the app decibel, last time I looked it was free, it works in the background and changes sample rates on the fly automatically for you. I use Audirvana and Amarra which do the same plus a bit more, but they are pricey,especially the latter. Which does sound better IMO. But the former has a better UI and also functions better. 

I was responding to huggs2, who didn't seem to be using an app that did auto-switching.

I actually use BitPerfect and Fidelia, which also change sample rates. Interested in Audirvana because of the new UI, but I have been using Spotify more and more and haven't been able to justify the cost.  How stable do you find it?

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #104 of 1,003

I was responding to huggs2, who didn't seem to be using an app that did auto-switching.

I actually use BitPerfect and Fidelia, which also change sample rates. Interested in Audirvana because of the new UI, but I have been using Spotify more and more and haven't been able to justify the cost.  How stable do you find it?

Please note i'm a 1.5 user, I haven't upgraded to 2.0 because i've read a fair few complaints about it, as I understand it, it's made to replace iTunes (I could be wrong so please don't quote me). This is something I personally don't want as put together playlists for my iPhone using iTunes. 

Audirvana however is superb, I have been using it for several years now, it works flawlessly, I'd say in the 3-4 years of using Audirvana it has crashed no more than 8 times. It is much quicker and with the exception of sound quality, better than Amarra 3.0. Do be aware that I haven't used Amarra as much to know how often it crashes. As you're aware both adjust sample rates on the fly, in addition to this it disables processes which may interfere with your Macs ability to act as an amazing transport. You can choose what you want turning on or off, I have it in extreme mode whereby sound quality is put first and in turn it disables spotlight, iTunes plus much much more. The strange thing is how much of an affect it has, ok it is not night and day but it does, IMO make a difference for the better. 

You may have noted earlier that I hinted Amarra 3.0 sounding better, it does. However it is a nightmare to use, a little buggy and very very slow. Some people are happy to put up with these issues for the slightly better sound. But I find it a frustrating experience and find myself using Audirvana. Amarra have released an app (SQ) which enables it to work with Tidal, youtube and Spotify. This could be a consideration for you if you're willing to pay the money for it.  

Despite the essay above, I cannot comment on how stable 2.0 is unfortunately. If you go over to the computer audiophile forum, under software there's a thread there where you should find people's experiences there. Ample info. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #105 of 1,003

Thanks RapidPulse for the headsup. Today i discovered Kodi and it adjusts itself to whatever file is playing and from earlier posts i now know this is called Auto- Switching.The audio is also superb now no matter what i play. Kodi (formerly XMBC) is free and seems to me to be a perfect match for the E2. Kodi is also donation ware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back