Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #391 of 1,003

I bought  MQA albums, ordered cables and order an explorer2 becasure I read on their web site that the Explorer 2 was MQA Ready. When I found out that was not true I felt like I had been conned so that Meridian could have a big day at CES. Sorry your so upset that I don't see things your way.

I'm not the one upset, you are. I'm perfectly happy with my Explorer². I'm just stating facts here. You're the one upset and angry you've been "conned" by Meridian somehow and have lashed out in this thread, overreacted, and canceled your order. Sorry you didn't do proper research into products and new technology first, before placing orders and buying products.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #392 of 1,003
I'm sorta with Click on this one. As I've said previously - another couple of months won't kill me (and yes it is a very transparent and neutral Dac in a very portable package).
I think that now "some" MQA stuff is available those of us who have the E2 want to hear what all the fuss is about (even if choice of media is currently SEVERELY limited).
I suppose my take on it is that Meridian have created the noise and fuss around this technology and indeed demoed it to apparently high acclaim but they have dropped the ball badly from a PR point of view with their clients who have invested in the tech and now want to hear it.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #393 of 1,003
I bought  MQA albums, ordered cables and order an explorer2 becasure I read on their web site that the Explorer 2 was MQA Ready. When I found out that was not true I felt like I had been conned so that Meridian could have a big day at CES. Sorry your so upset that I don't see things your way.

Me too. A year ago I bought the Explorer2 after listening to the device at a showroom with demo MQA content.

The sales man never told me that when MQA content does come out (as in 2L) that I would need an upgrade.

I emailed them and never received a reply. This is also a PR Snafu. Meridian can't even give us a date on when any firmware upgrade would be available. Nothing on their website either. Not good. ☹️

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #394 of 1,003
^ I too have been waiting for a year. In that time, I used the Explorer2 a few times, learned a lot about USB, used it as a DAC for amplifier selection, wrote a couple of reviews with the Explorer2 as a baseline reference. It's been quite a utility for me!

But I've moved on. It now just sits in the box. I'd like to hear MQA - that's all.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #395 of 1,003

Enjoy your day Click.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #396 of 1,003
Wow people fighting over MQA support. I suppose I'd be upset to buy something that says "--- Ready," but not actually support it yet. Although it is also not Meridian's fault since they did say it will be a future addition when I bought it many many months ago. Still using and enjoying it.

Quote:
  ^ I too have been waiting for a year. In that time, I used the Explorer2 a few times, learned a lot about USB, used it as a DAC for amplifier selection, wrote a couple of reviews with the Explorer2 as a baseline reference. It's been quite a utility for me!

But I've moved on. It now just sits in the box. I'd like to hear MQA - that's all.

What DAC do you use now? Oh by the way, I finally got the Oppo PM3 loaner last week and you're right about it vs Denon. The size of the PM3 is nice and barely fit my ears, but I still prefer the sound of my Denon when it comes to bass. Any luck finding a portable version of Denon? I think you have D2000 if I remember correctly.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #397 of 1,003

What DAC do you use now? Oh by the way, I finally got the Oppo PM3 loaner last week and you're right about it vs Denon. The size of the PM3 is nice and barely fit my ears, but I still prefer the sound of my Denon when it comes to bass. Any luck finding a portable version of Denon? I think you have D2000 if I remember correctly.

Long time! How goes?

D2000 became TH-X00 became - well I've given up on portable with a nice sound like the Denon. I just wanted comfortable, so I run a Chord Mojo into an Audeze EL-8C 
redface.gif

I've also been sucked into the Schiit Multiverse for home use 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #400 of 1,003
Sorry I didn't mean to mislead. I only recently started using the Mojo. I think I made this comment before I allowed much at all, if any burn in on the Mojo. I will update soon if anyone is really interested.

The Meridian Explorer has a rich, deep, tone.  The Mojo does detail, insight, and organisation better. The Mojo seems to be getting tonally better though. However I have stopped A-B testing with these two DACs for a short while. I am listening to and adjusting to the Mojo. Soon I intend to revert to using the Meridian to see how it sounds, once Mojo acclimatised. Just giving the Mojo some more burn-in time first.

Initial impressions though was that the ME was a reasonable contest.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #401 of 1,003
  Sorry I didn't mean to mislead. I only recently started using the Mojo. I think I made this comment before I allowed much at all, if any burn in on the Mojo. I will update soon if anyone is really interested.

The Meridian Explorer has a rich, deep, tone.  The Mojo does detail, insight, and organisation better. The Mojo seems to be getting tonally better though. However I have stopped A-B testing with these two DACs for a short while. I am listening to and adjusting to the Mojo. Soon I intend to revert to using the Meridian to see how it sounds, once Mojo acclimatised. Just giving the Mojo some more burn-in time first.

Initial impressions though was that the ME was a reasonable contest.

Yeah, I just found ME is much better than those budgeted DAC like Modi 1. The problem of ME is its amplifier part. But when line out with a good enough amplifier, it works much better than its value! So if it's clos eto Mojo, I don't feel any surprise.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #402 of 1,003

Yeah, I just found ME is much better than those budgeted DAC like Modi 1. The problem of ME is its amplifier part. But when line out with a good enough amplifier, it works much better than its value! So if it's clos eto Mojo, I don't feel any surprise.

The Explorer is a good DAC and I think it gets unfairly criticised. I was reading Jude's reviews page some time ago, and he uses it as his portable DAC of choice. Being when a small DAC is needed that is. He said the Chord Hugo is his reference portable DAC.

I have not heard the Explorer 2. Nor read any comparisons.

If I was to pick one area where the Mojo bests the Explorer it's this. The soundstage while not necessarily bigger does something unusual. I think the Explorer somehow focuses in the centre just a little where vocals are. Whereas the Mojo has an even focus, and I hear stuff that the Explorer plays but I never noticed. The Mojo does other stuff better, but I really need more time comparing to be able to difinitively review or compare.

The Mojo is getting warmer sound as it burns-in. As did the Explorer.

Ayway a bit off topic, sorry to digress.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #403 of 1,003
  The Explorer is a good DAC and I think it gets unfairly criticised. I was reading Jude's reviews page some time ago, and he uses it as his portable DAC of choice. Being when a small DAC is needed that is. He said the Chord Hugo is his reference portable DAC.

I have not heard the Explorer 2. Nor read any comparisons.

If I was to pick one area where the Mojo bests the Explorer it's this. The soundstage while not necessarily bigger does something unusual. I think the Explorer somehow focuses in the centre just a little where vocals are. Whereas the Mojo has an even focus, and I hear stuff that the Explorer plays but I never noticed. The Mojo does other stuff better, but I really need more time comparing to be able to difinitively review or compare.

The Mojo is getting warmer sound as it burns-in. As did the Explorer.

Ayway a bit off topic, sorry to digress.

Do you think ME has a bigger soundstage? To be honest, The obvious best area of ME is its soundstage. It's obvious larger than like Modi 1. While, Mojo should sound better according to its price and size. I think it's better to compare Mojo to Director. I have Director, and though I never AB them, but obviously no very big difference. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #404 of 1,003

Any specific recomendations on AMP level?
Tried ME+o2 and it was actually *worser* than ME+nothing
(Using HD600 headphones, difference is really noticible)

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #405 of 1,003
Been too spoiled by my E2 that I get disappointed listening straight off my phone. Sadly, my phone has some problem when used with the E2. I get some quick static sound every minute or so with it.  *Cry* First world problem <.<

Decided to try it again and still getting the same static noise. It only happens to my phone because I tried it with my cousin's and we have the same phone model. Also works fine with my bro's phone, which is different. DAMMIT PHONE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back