Meow...AH-D2000, HFI-580, PRO 900, ATH-PRO700MK2, BASS!!!
Mar 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bohnster

New Head-Fier
After a lot of vacillating, talking with audiophile friends and some forum interaction I thought I'd start a dedicated thread to get some answers to my questions, instead of hijacking others threads...

I listen to a lot of trace/techno but also listen to rock, pop, alternative, classical and etc.  Really everything except country.  So that's why a great overall sound is so important.  I love love good deep bass.

I've spent a few weeks researching headphones.  I used to have a nice pair of Sony MDR-V900's with which I had zero complaints, however one morning found them to be mysteriously broken.  I'm wanting to purchase some great sounding over the ear headphones with excellent BASS.  I don't really want to go over $200.  So, I'd be willing to wait it out a bit and possibly pick up something pre-owned.

My initial short list after 12 or so hours of reviewing specs and comments consisted of the following:

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2, Crossfade LP & LP2, Sony MDR-XB500, MDR-XB700, MDR-XB1000, Ultrasone PRO 750, PRO 900, HFI-780, HFI-580, Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO

For one reason or another my current shorter list from top to bottom is as follows (haven't listened any of these):

Denon AH-D2000 (I don't recall reading any truly negative reviews)

Ultrasone HFI-580 (Sound to be a tad bright and fatiguing)

Ultrasone PRO 900 (lower because being double the price of 580's, fairly amazing overall sound, fatiguing as well)

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 (overwhelming consensus these are horribly uncomfortable also often referred as muffled or "dark sounding" but great bass and bombproof)

So I'm leaning toward the Denon AH-D2000's.  I have some questions.  I hear they are quite comfortable, partly has to do with a light clamping force.  So, can these headphones be used while laying down in bed, on the couch or other various deep incline positions without constantly falling off?  Would the HFI-580's and PRO 900's be much better at staying in place while moving around or lying down?

I'm fearful of the Ultrasone's cause I hear they are fatiguing.  I used to have some Sennheiser HD-580's, they sounded great, but swear they almost made me sick to listen to.  Maybe the highs were to clear and sharp?  They were supremely comfortable, but I couldn't listen to them very long.

I think I'd like to be able to take these new headphones with me on certain trips, to share with friends/family, for personal immersion to enjoy remote locations and etc.  I figure headphones should be portable, cause well, they're headphones.  Are the D2000's to delicate to leave the house?  They are more the 20% heavier than the 580's with less clamping force.  So would the 580's win this as well?  Are there specific hard-cases available that are recommended for the D2000's (that don't cost arms and legs and stuff)?  I like the buttery biscuit bass!

What are your thoughts and feelings?  Any input is appreciated.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 12
I own the D2000, and i can say its well balanced with the bass when you need it, and a good price IMO. BUT they do benefit when used with an amp, and they can be picky with amps, you can just plug them into your receiver, and upgrading to another amp after that... well prepare to spend some time looking, thats where I'm at.

They pair horrendously with the ASUS Xonar Essence stx sound card, I would avoid all high output impedance amps (anything over 1-ohm really, 2-ohm at most. this would include Tubes.) 

As for portability, wipe that off your list, these are not portable, way too big, leak sound like mad, cable is way too long, They are quite sturdy though, thay are more or less TRANSPORTABLE, but since they dont come with a carry case, it limits that aswell.

The others I cant comment on, but you may want to look at the upcoming V-moda M100, it could be worth the wait.

I do love these headphones, they are rated well for a reason

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi, I can only comment on the D2000s. I can use them lying down etc. but there is a sense that there might slip. A pillow or cushion usually gives sufficient support. I have to admit that I don't do this very often with any headphones though. This all depends of course on the size of your melon (I've no idea what my hat size is but I'd say I've got a standard bloke's head in size large).

As for taking the D2000s away with you, this all depends on your tolerance of carrying extra stuff. They don't feel particularly delicate but then neither do they collapse or fold so they represent a fairly large object that would need to be packed to avoid crushing. Not something I would want to do. Everyone's different though.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the input fellas.  I've purchased some new headphones, so here's a little update.  I received my Denon AH-D2000's 2 weeks ago.  My initial opinion was not very good at all.  They seems insanely bright, with albeit tight bass but insanely weak bass.  After 2 weeks of using them daily, they do sound better.  The bass seems to reach deeper with less effort, but without having a brand new set, I'm not going to say that's for certain.

The build quality is awesome.  I've been able to show a few friends and they've all been impressed and love the sound.  You can wear them for years, they are comfortable, and with such huge ear-cups, there are no pressure points.

I think part of the initial problem was using the headphone jack on my Logitech Z-5500's.  It just has a super low output.  I've since tried various other headphone output devices and that has helped.  These do sound really good, I just like bass.  Like how on a powered sub-woofer where you can simply turn up the gain.  Jacking around with the EQ you can get these to sound how you like.  I would simply prefer a stronger bass presence without tweaking.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Not sure if you're intending to keep the Denons, but if not you may want to check out the Philips Fidelio L1s (not sure if any Apple stores actually have them to demo yet). They had a bit too much bass for my taste, but it sounds like they might be your preferred sound signature.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 12
Or the Sony XB series,

I have the D2k, and they have slightly emphasized bass, good for all genres of music, if you want car-sound like subwoofer bass, then just get the Hisound POP IEMs, they will rattle your brain into hell and back.

And to state, the denons do have excellent bass, and in quantity it is above normal, just not crazy above normal, they are still balanced headphones.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 12
I checked out the Philips Fidelio L1's, they do appear to be a nice looking headphone.  If I eventually make it through others I'll probably have to give it a try.  Going through all the reviews, I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for.

I now have Sony MDR-V900HD's.  Now I feel like without having multiple headphones to compare back to back its sometimes hard to identify what you like or don't like about a certain pair of headphones.  When I got the Denon AH-D2000's, I couldn't really identify what I wasn't liking about them.  After wearing the MDR-V900HD's I realized just how much of a drop in mid-range there was on the AH-D2000's.  The singers voices consistently feel much closer with the MDR-V900HD's than the AH-D2000's

Also, the high frequency sparkle of the AH-D2000's almost drive me crazy.  So chill out on the highs, and bring up the mid-range of the AH-D2000's and I'm sold.

Tomorrow I'll be receiving the Fiio E17, pretty excited to see if that helps.  I'm beginning to think that it's not going to make much of a difference, seeing how easy the AH-D2000's are to drive.  However, with the adjustable bass and treble EQ, I'm hoping to be able to tune the sound how I like.  If I can't, I will be looking into getting more headphones.

So I know I want to try the Sony MDR-XB700's (anyone know where I can get these for like $80?).  Others that I'm thinking about again are the Ultrasone Pro 900's, HFi-580's and the AKG K550's.  The concern with the AKG K550's is there relatively low maximum input power at 200mW.  The AH-D2000's can handle 1,800mW and the MDR-V900HD & MDR-XB700's can handle 3,000mW.  I don't know what the power handling of the Ultrasone's, but I've heard they take pretty much what ever you give them.  If I'm using a huge over ear headphone, I want to be able to turn it up and have the bass make me cry.

Any thoughts of the the proposed headphones over the AH-D2000's and MDR-V900HD's would be appreciated.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 12
The AH-D2000 are bright, and the midrange is not recessed, its balanced.

What are you pairing them with? If i plug them into my ASUS soundcard then the characteristics of impedance mismatching and the natural sound signature of the JRC opamps really make it horrible to listen to, aggressive and harsh highs, unpleasant in general, and muddy bass.

So your after forward mids, emphasized bass > D2000, and neutral highs if not somewhat dark?

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 12
If OP you find the HD600s to be bright... you might use 'dark' to describe what you are looking for... Like shift your spectrum of sharp highs to dark sounding a bit down to match what others think, you have really sensitive ears for high frequencies...

See if the D2000 improve with the E17.  I don't find the D2000 to be THAT recessed in mids but yeah they are a step back from other headphones e.g. the HD600. Their (sharp) highs give them the clarity these have and makes them really stand out amongst other bass heavy headphones. Together with its deep bass it really helps the soundstaging.

The best thing I like about my D2k is that the bass, feels like its from another separate sub. A lot of them (for me) but most importantly it never bleeds into the mids (for its 'recessed' if you may), and it is so powerful so deep so low so addictive. When your E17 arrives, use it with the D2000 and youtube Bassatronic's 'BASS, I LOVE YOU' and you will see how they reach really really deep like no other headphones possibly can.

I love them a lot a lot. Unless someone give me a pair of D5000 or D7000 otherwise I will not part with them. *cough, maybe a higher end ultrasone*

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 12
If OP you find the HD600s to be bright... you might use 'dark' to describe what you are looking for... Like shift your spectrum of sharp highs to dark sounding a bit down to match what others think, you have really sensitive ears for high frequencies...

See if the D2000 improve with the E17.  I don't find the D2000 to be THAT recessed in mids but yeah they are a step back from other headphones e.g. the HD600. Their (sharp) highs give them the clarity these have and makes them really stand out amongst other bass heavy headphones. Together with its deep bass it really helps the soundstaging.

The best thing I like about my D2k is that the bass, feels like its from another separate sub. A lot of them (for me) but most importantly it never bleeds into the mids (for its 'recessed' if you may), and it is so powerful so deep so low so addictive. When your E17 arrives, use it with the D2000 and youtube Bassatronic's 'BASS, I LOVE YOU' and you will see how they reach really really deep like no other headphones possibly can.

I love them a lot a lot. Unless someone give me a pair of D5000 or D7000 otherwise I will not part with them. *cough, maybe a higher end ultrasone*

Or the new fostex, but yes, my upgrade is already selected when I have the cash. Love my D2k, it's bass is quality and reaches low and hits well, without destroying other genres.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 12
I think you should wipe the Pro 900 out from your list. If you find the D2000 bright and fatiguing, that is. Pro 900's are pretty picky as well.

Personally I have both the D2000 and the Pro 900's as I think they complement eachother well. But they are both said to be fatiguing (I don't think so, and I don't suffer from sibilance either..).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back