Melos Maestro modification log (updated Oct 05, 2008) - LARGE PHOTOS!
Sep 25, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 58
It looks like it sounds fantastic. But, I must ask; will you ever consider modifying my sha-1 to the same standards or so?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #50 of 58
Hello, sorry to make a double post (I have posted this question in another thread as well) but time is important and I need to act fast as I have an offer to buy myself a Melos.

I live in Poland with voltage of 230V and 50 Hz.

The question is: can I use Melos SHA-1 in Poland, with a simple voltage converter/transformer? Or should I expect hiss, hum, noises or booooom?

Also, if I can't use Melos with voltage transformer is it possible to change the power unit in the amp for the European one without breaking it? Of course this would be done by people who are experienced in building DIY amps.

Please, if you can help me, share your knowledge as I need to know the answer very fast.

Thank you!

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #52 of 58
I can't really give you an answer as I don't have a Melos. I did download a schematic and in that, the transformer is shown as a dual primary, which is typical for international (ie. both 110V and 220V operation). The schematic showed the primaries in parallel, as they would be for 110V use.

I cannot tell for sure from FallenAngel's pics and can't read the label on the xfrmr... you might PM him and see if he could tell you?

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my unit the transformer has dual primaries, but one pair of primaries is connected to the PCB so I'm not sure that it'll work using them in any other way. Perhaps there are different transformers for the Melos.

That seems strange... is it an actual pair, or is it one lead of each pair? If the latter then that may be how they switch the primary wiring for 110 or 220? The schematic I grabbed was for an SHA1 Gold and doesn't show the other primary being used for anything but as a parallel primary for 110V use...

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Melos_32.html

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems strange... is it an actual pair, or is it one lead of each pair? If the latter then that may be how they switch the primary wiring for 110 or 220?

That would be cool.

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #57 of 58
Ooops, missed that you had a link to the schematic when I was looking at the pics.

PrzemekDraheim: please do not use anything I have speculated on in making a buying decision. You will need to do your own research as to whether the Melos you are looking at will support 220V 50Hz operation or not.

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #58 of 58
Thank you guys for all your input and the time you spent on research and posting.

I have pulled the trigger and bought that Melos. $349 seems to be a good price, I think. I have made many calls today and some companies that work with modding audio gear in Poland told me that all I need is a good voltage transformer with the right wattage, just like Fallen Angel told me. Also, I talked to some audiophiles in my area and they told me they want to buy that Melos from me. So if it doesn't work, I will sell it. Lets hope it will reach me in one working piece. I will let you know how things turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back