Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #136 of 658
  Can you please post the PIN configuration you plan to use?? 

The connection between MX-U8 and Master 7 (PCM only DAC) cannot be a reference for NFB-7 (DSD DAC).
There is a description about "DSD CTR input" on the NFB-7 page.  I assume it means "DSD-ON" which switches between PCM and DSD input (usually DSD: 3.3V, PCM: 0V).
What model do you have (or are you going to have) with RJ45 I2S input?

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #138 of 658
  The connection between MX-U8 and Master 7 (PCM only DAC) cannot be a reference for NFB-7 (DSD DAC).
There is a description about "DSD CTR input" on the NFB-7 page.  I assume it means "DSD-ON" which switches between PCM and DSD input (usually DSD: 3.3V, PCM: 0V).

I'm also interested in this. Basically i have an NFB-7 Dac and i bought the MX-U8 used that was ''configured'' from the dealer to match the pins scheme of Master 7.
So in my case the DSD files will not work? What about the other PCM files? Will i have any issues using the RJ45 I2S?

Thanks

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #139 of 658
  I'm also interested in this. Basically i have an NFB-7 Dac and i bought the MX-U8 used that was ''configured'' from the dealer to match the pins scheme of Master 7.
So in my case the DSD files will not work? What about the other PCM files? Will i have any issues using the RJ45 I2S?

Thanks

The "DSD CTR input" of Audio-gd corresponds Melodious pin No.5 [DSD], but I know nothing about Audio-gd's product.  It seems that none of the 8 pins in RJ45 of Audio-gd represents "DSD CTR input" and an extra wire should be connected to "DSD CTR input".
I do not know either how MCLK should be handled.  Generally speaking, MCLK does not have to be connected for ES9018 DACs.

My assumption for NFB-7 is: (GND --> GND, needless to say)
SDATA (MX-U8) --> SDATA (Audio-gd DSD DAC)
LRCK (MX-U8) --> LRCK (Audio-gd DSD DAC)
BCK (MX-U8) --> SCLK (Audio-gd DSD DAC)
MCLK (MX-U8) --> no connection
DSD (MX-U8) --> "DSD CTR input" (Audio-gd DSD DAC)
DIN (MX-U8) --> no connection

For your "special" version, [DSD] in the original pin No.5 may not be connected internally, as Master 7 does not need it anyway.
You must find out the pin assignment of your modified MX-U8 first.

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #140 of 658

I Have a NFB-7 and planning to use the I2S input with the Melodious, even if only PCM, because the Audio GD USB-32 don't work well with OS X at 384 Khz

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #141 of 658

I Have a NFB-7 and planning to use the I2S input with the Melodious, even if only PCM, because the Audio GD USB-32 don't work well with OS X at 384 Khz

If you only play PCM files, I think the above-mentioned (post #139) three pins (SDATA, LRCK, BCK) + GND works also for 384kHz on MacOSX.
As for DSD, I assume pin No.5 + GND should be connected to "DSD CTR input".  Good luck!

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #142 of 658
  If you only play PCM files, I think the above-mentioned (post #139) three pins (SDATA, LRCK, BCK) + GND works also for 384kHz on MacOSX.
As for DSD, I assume pin No.5 + GND should be connected to "DSD CTR input".  Good luck!

Thanks, for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #143 of 658
There's no need for a blind test, when connecting MX-U8 "it seems" it is MUCH louder, which I can't understand because of digital output at 0db there should be no difference.

I suppose this has something to do with 75Ohm impedance match, which seems MX-U8 does a much better job!

In my setup, direct PC-to-DAC is much louder than PC-U12-DAC. Prolly more than 5dB cause it's very easily audible .. doubt anyone can miss that diff. Both the coaxial and XLR outputs of U12 are same as 'quiet'

It still sounds better with the U12 in the chain but that thing surely does something funky. Cant really say what though and it's indeed strange.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #144 of 658
In my setup, direct PC-to-DAC is much louder than PC-U12-DAC. Prolly more than 5dB cause it's very easily audible .. doubt anyone can miss that diff. Both the coaxial and XLR outputs of U12 are same as 'quiet'

It still sounds better with the U12 in the chain but that thing surely does something funky. Cant really say what though and it's indeed strange.

I guess this difference comes from specifications of the DAC internal USB-I2S circuit and U12.  Some support "up to 32-bit", the other "only 24-bit".  If you compare both the internal USB-I2S and U12 with a 24-bit file as well as a 16-bit one, you may find something.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #145 of 658
I guess this difference comes from specifications of the DAC internal USB-I2S circuit and U12.  Some support "up to 32-bit", the other "only 24-bit".  If you compare both the internal USB-I2S and U12 with a 24-bit file as well as a 16-bit one, you may find something.

Didnt think about that and my DAC is indeed 24/192 while the gustard is 32/384 iirc. But why would that make any difference? Afaik, the 24-32 bits are unused and there is hardly any piece of music with content above 20bits

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #146 of 658
can I know what is the right driver to use ?

does new driver helps to improve sound?

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #147 of 658
  can I know what is the right driver to use ?

does new driver helps to improve sound?

The driver I use is the 2.24 version It has also the cpl.app to set buffers and latency.
Didn't use newer driver, don't know if there's 2.26 with cpl.app for MX-U8

Send me PM, I will send it to you.

If using Windows 8 or Server 2012 be sure to turn-off driver signing!

Regards,

Alex

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #148 of 658
by upgrading the clocks on Mx-U8 to NDK or Crystek, will it improve the sound ? 

or is it more worthwhile to go for Tanly since its been better clock and totally isolated.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #149 of 658
  by upgrading the clocks on Mx-U8 to NDK or Crystek, will it improve the sound ? 

or is it more worthwhile to go for Tanly since its been better clock and totally isolated.

It is definitely worth to upgrade the clocks.

Of course it all depends on how much funds you have to spend, standard Tanly will definitely sound better than MX-U8 with only clocks upgraded.

Regards,
Alex

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #150 of 658

It is definitely worth to upgrade the clocks.

Of course it all depends on how much funds you have to spend, standard Tanly will definitely sound better than MX-U8 with only clocks upgraded.

Regards,
Alex

If I were to upgrade, pls tell me where to get the crystek clock, frequency and the adaptor board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back