Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jul 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #151 of 658
  If I were to upgrade, pls tell me where to get the crystek clock, frequency and the adaptor board.

As you've maybe noticed while reading this thread, i didn't use Crystek XO's but NDK's, they are from diyinhk and cost $8 each.
Frequencies are: 22.5792Mhz and 24.576Mhz.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/35-ndk-nz2520sd-20ppm-ultra-low-phase-noise-oscillator.html

Adapterboards you can find here:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.SpfRsD&id=19734749250&ns=1&_u=t29sgvbrf20f&abbucket=6#detail

For Crysteks, you can buy them at digikey or mouser, otherwise just ask rb2013, he did buy and use them.

Regards,
Alex

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #152 of 658
 This Melodious Audio DAC has an on board XMOS: 

http://world.taobao.com/item/520510024359.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7728556.w4004-11699250239.7.jNe1HX

Regards,

Riemann

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #153 of 658
If I plan to use existing power supply to the clocks, how do I connect the pins ?

the existing XO need to desolder or it already has a adaptor pins.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #155 of 658
   This Melodious Audio DAC has an on board XMOS: 

http://world.taobao.com/item/520510024359.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7728556.w4004-11699250239.7.jNe1HX

Regards,

Riemann

Hello Riemann,

This is a nice and cheap DAC, but not my cup ot Thea.

Regards,

Alex

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #156 of 658
  If I plan to use existing power supply to the clocks, how do I connect the pins ?

the existing XO need to desolder or it already has a adaptor pins.

You need to desolder XO's. they are not on pins, but, you can ask Melodious to solder pint on the pcb for XO's when ordering MX-U8

Regards,

Alex

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #157 of 658
Hello.  Please forgive me for asking a very stupid question on a Melodious MXU8 thread but, I need another USB converter as my system has changed slightly.  I've been using an Audiophellio 2 for a couple of years and like it.  Actually, it's the only converter I've ever used so I really have nothing else to compare it to.  Anyway, how much better is the Melodious than the Audiophellio 2?  All my music is redbook, so I have no use/need for DSD.  My new dac does support DSD however.  I was thinking of either the Melodious or Tanly, something. 

Again, sorry for the silly question, I'm just new to all this.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #158 of 658
Or Gustard U12?

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #159 of 658
Or Gustard U12?

I am in the same boat, I have a new (old) Monarchy M22B R2R DAC. Ears I trust like the Melodious better, would love to solicit additional opinions though..

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #160 of 658
Sorry to sound repetitive but just want to remind that, all of my music is redbook cd.  I have no need, nor do I wish to, upsample or have any use for, DSD.  That said, is the Melodious MXU8 overkill for my application? 

I'm sure wildcats wants to know as well.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #161 of 658
Also, are there different versions?  I don't want to pay extra for a version that can support 384 if all my music is 44.1.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #162 of 658

Originally Posted by devilboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...   Anyway, how much better is the Melodious than the Audiophellio 2?  ...

I would be quite surprised if the Melodious were better than the Audiophilleo2 at 1/4 of the price
rolleyes.gif

and this without even considering the additional cost of the Pure Power power supply that sounds like a must for the best performance
of course i would be extremely interested to read a comparison in a same system
However i have the Melodious (stock with only new Nichicon FG Gold in the power supply) and i am finding it very good.
Never listened to the Audiophilleo2 unfortunately.
I guess it would be overkill in my system ...
redface.gif

But your unit is very impressive. I read also some extremely positive reviews.
Therefore i would stay on the Audiophilleo2 if i had it.
With the Pure Power supply of course.
The only thing it lacks is an AES/EBU out that i love and need.  My dacs accept AES signals.
I bought the Melodious also for this.
Regards,  gino

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #163 of 658
Gino, thanks.....a Newbie to classic DACs, if I move forward with the Melodious is the AES/EBU the desired connection? Do you have any recommended cables?

Appreciate any advice!

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #164 of 658
Gino, thanks.....a Newbie to classic DACs, if I move forward with the Melodious is the AES/EBU the desired connection?

Hi i base my thinking mostly on what i read in the interviews of designers of products considered as benchmarks by the audio community.
In an interview the designer of the Berkeley Audio usb interface (a benchmark for all usb interfaces) spoke highly of the balanced digital connection
mentioning the higher signal level than spdif (i.e. higher S/N ratio)  and a better noise rejection of the balanced connection.
Incidentally it is the standard used by professional dacs (i have two of them and both have this connection).

Do you have any recommended cables?
Appreciate any advice!

I am using cheap ones made out of Canare cables.  These ones here ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E01-1-5m-5ft-Canare-DA202-110-Coax-AES-EBU-XLR-Male-to-Female-Hi-End-Cable-/321475887285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad974c0b5

actually i am using them also for analog connections.
They sound ok.   You can try other by the way.
I am finding the sound with AES connection more relaxed but still detailed.   Quite pleasant actually.
Kind regards,  gino

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #165 of 658

I would be quite surprised if the Melodious were better than the Audiophilleo2 at 1/4 of the price
rolleyes.gif

and this without even considering the additional cost of the Pure Power power supply that sounds like a must for the best performance
of course i would be extremely interested to read a comparison in a same system
However i have the Melodious (stock with only new Nichicon FG Gold in the power supply) and i am finding it very good.
Never listened to the Audiophilleo2 unfortunately.
I guess it would be overkill in my system ...
redface.gif

But your unit is very impressive. I read also some extremely positive reviews.
Therefore i would stay on the Audiophilleo2 if i had it.
With the Pure Power supply of course.
The only thing it lacks is an AES/EBU out that i love and need.  My dacs accept AES signals.
I bought the Melodious also for this.
Regards,  gino

The general consensus is that the Gustard U12 and the stock Melodious are better than the Audiophilleo1 + PP. The AP1+PP is said to be better than AP2 -PP, so I would gather that the these 2 are better units. I admit I haven't heard them, but neither have you :wink:  Just in keeping track of the various threads that's been the general vibe. 

In fact, so far there hasn't been a shootout with the top tier converters vs. these newly found ones(Melodious, U12, or Tanly). Convertors like the Berkeley Alpha USB, the Sonicweld Diverter, or the fully upgraded Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5. DACladder does have the OR5 and says the Gustard U12 plays around the same area, at least on the Audio-gd M7 with HDMI-I2s input, but I'd like to get more feedback and for some other DACs too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back