Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 3, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #166 of 658
The general consensus is that the Gustard U12 and the stock Melodious are better than the Audiophilleo1 + PP. The AP1+PP is said to be better than AP2 -PP,
so I would gather that the these 2 are better units. I admit I haven't heard them, but neither have you :wink:  Just in keeping track of the various threads that's been the general vibe.
In fact, so far there hasn't been a shootout with the top tier converters vs. these newly found ones(Melodious, U12, or Tanly). Convertors like the Berkeley Alpha USB, the Sonicweld Diverter, or the fully upgraded Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5.
DACladder does have the OR5 and says the Gustard U12 plays around the same area, at least on the Audio-gd M7 with HDMI-I2s input, but I'd like to get more feedback and for some other DACs too.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very interesting information.
I have both the U12 and Melodious ... both work but i tend to prefer the Melodious because it can work also without power on the usb cable.
I am quite happy with the sound from the Melodious practically stock ... i have just replaced some capsin the power supply with Nichicon FGs.   The other products are too expensive for me but i am sure that the Berkeley is a prodigious unit indeed.   Just a feeling.
I would think that is the best around.
Thanks again,  gino

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #167 of 658
Gino,

Thank you, I appreciate your response!

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #168 of 658
Gino,  Thank you, I appreciate your response!

Hi and you are welcome
biggrin.gif

i am just trying to put pieces of information together  
redface.gif
  information coming from experts
For instance i believe in units with a very good quality/price ratio.   I mean with a reasonable price is possible to get a very good sound.
Problem is that is not easy to test equipment without buying it.
Good luck !
gino
smile_phones.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #169 of 658

I would be quite surprised if the Melodious were better than the Audiophilleo2 at 1/4 of the price
rolleyes.gif

and this without even considering the additional cost of the Pure Power power supply that sounds like a must for the best performance
of course i would be extremely interested to read a comparison in a same system
However i have the Melodious (stock with only new Nichicon FG Gold in the power supply) and i am finding it very good.
Never listened to the Audiophilleo2 unfortunately.
I guess it would be overkill in my system ...
redface.gif

But your unit is very impressive. I read also some extremely positive reviews.
Therefore i would stay on the Audiophilleo2 if i had it.
With the Pure Power supply of course.
The only thing it lacks is an AES/EBU out that i love and need.  My dacs accept AES signals.
I bought the Melodious also for this.
Regards,  gino

I've had the Audiophilleo 2 - both  the U12 and the MX-U8 are miles ahead in my systems.  Checkout the Hydra Z with the ZPM (or another high quality linear PS) that might be the ticket.  Next on my list to get (I've had 6-7 USB interfaces so far - see the beginnning of my Gustard U12 thread for the list).

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #170 of 658
I've had the Audiophilleo 2 - both  the U12 and the MX-U8 are miles ahead in my systems.  

Hi and thanks a lot !  i was clearly underestimated both !
I do not have a very revealing system.  I mean i know when i like the sound but i do not know how good it really is  
redface.gif

Very good news indeed ! i am using mostly the MX-U8 and trying different dacs i have already at hand to select the one i like most. 

Checkout the Hydra Z with the ZPM (or another high quality linear PS) that might be the ticket.  
Next on my list to get (I've had 6-7 USB interfaces so far - see the beginnning of my Gustard U12 thread for the list).

Beautiful !   it seems very well built indeed.  
Unfortunately 3 times the price of the Melodious even without including the power supply.
I am impressed also by the uF used in the power supply ... those are very big caps ( i like the solution a lot )
And you say it is a clear step-up from the Melodious ?
Thanks a lot again,  gino  

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #171 of 658
Bob, finally able to fire up the Monarchy 22B again, new caps and one transformer, any idea on burn in time before the settle in? Thanks!

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #172 of 658

Hi and thanks a lot !  i was clearly underestimated both !
I do not have a very revealing system.  I mean i know when i like the sound but i do not know how good it really is  
redface.gif

Very good news indeed ! i am using mostly the MX-U8 and trying different dacs i have already at hand to select the one i like most. 

Beautiful !   it seems very well built indeed.  
Unfortunately 3 times the price of the Melodious even without including the power supply.
I am impressed also by the uF used in the power supply ... those are very big caps ( i like the solution a lot )
And you say it is a clear step-up from the Melodious ?
Thanks a lot again,  gino  

Yes, the Hydra Z is superior in build to the MX-U8, U12 and even the Tanly in several important ways: Cyrstek CHD950/957 clocks std, FPGA USB isolation, use of the ARM3 vs XMOS processor for USB processing, 5VDC power requirement (offers many excellent linear PS choices like the TeraDak, Acopian yellow box, ZPM, etc), PS in external case,
Adjustable I2S output clock polarity, to match all HDMI/I2S/LVDS dacs available (very important to HDMI users), external clock feed to DAC (Word Clock and MAster clock outputs), etc...

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #174 of 658
Yes, the Hydra Z is superior in build to the MX-U8, U12 and even the Tanly in several important ways: Cyrstek CHD950/957 clocks std, FPGA USB isolation, use of the ARM3 vs XMOS processor for USB processing, 5VDC power requirement (offers many excellent linear PS choices like the TeraDak, Acopian yellow box, ZPM, etc), PS in external case,
Adjustable I2S output clock polarity, to match all HDMI/I2S/LVDS dacs available (very important to HDMI users), external clock feed to DAC (Word Clock and MAster clock outputs), etc...

Thanks again. A much more refined unit.  I see the pictures and it looks extremely well built ... 
Regards, gino 

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #175 of 658
Hi, this is my first post in the forum. I'd like to ask, since I don't plan to do the level of modification to an mx-u8 as what was done by abartels, should I buy a gustard instead? I can replace capacitors, but I'm not wanting to go through the effort of mounting a new psu. 
Is the modification for the Gustard u12 much easier? If so, will the result be better than this mx-u8 modified with caps? I would love to buy the tanly but it's not for sale it seems. Not sure which avenue is best...

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #176 of 658
  Hi, this is my first post in the forum. I'd like to ask, since I don't plan to do the level of modification to an mx-u8 as what was done by abartels, should I buy a gustard instead? I can replace capacitors, but I'm not wanting to go through the effort of mounting a new psu. 
Is the modification for the Gustard u12 much easier? If so, will the result be better than this mx-u8 modified with caps? I would love to buy the tanly but it's not for sale it seems. Not sure which avenue is best...

I have moded (upgraded the caps) on each and the MX-U8 does sound better.  Gustard has better driver support (well at least it ships with a driver disc), but that can be worked around.  The MX-U8 is a finicky beast  - I have had three and all of them have intermittent, random, incurable issues.  Not big things- petty annoyances- but the SQ is incredible!

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #177 of 658
Hi rb2013, thanks for your reply.I have an MX-U8 on its way in the mail which is replacing a breeze audio with a CM6631A chip. I will A/B it once it arrives. I'm running a hackintosh so I doubt drivers will be an issue. Can I ask which capacitors you upgraded to? I need to order new caps. I would love to make this thing compete with something more expensive, if upgrading the psu isn't too complicated, I will consider that also. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #178 of 658
  Hi rb2013, thanks for your reply.I have an MX-U8 on its way in the mail which is replacing a breeze audio with a CM6631A chip. I will A/B it once it arrives. I'm running a hackintosh so I doubt drivers will be an issue. Can I ask which capacitors you upgraded to? I need to order new caps. I would love to make this thing compete with something more expensive, if upgrading the psu isn't too complicated, I will consider that also. 

I tried several and had good success with the Nichicon Fine Gold and HW's

I also had very good success with this power supply filter - easy to just plug the MX-U8 into it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181487658681?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good luck!

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #179 of 658
Fine gold it is. They're practically free considering what I paid for the Mundorfs in my tube amp. I keep going back to read through abartels mods and it doesn't seem as complicated as before. I think I will do more than just capacitors for sure. This is a great thread! Thanks for your help and suggestion rb2013. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #180 of 658

Hi again ... i just do not understand one thing
I see from this picture here ... 

that the Hydra sports a dc power socket for using an external high quality power supply.   
When i proposed a similar solution/mod for the Melodious i got so many critics ... why ? 
I see some very interesting benefits like to use a better mains transformer, keep it separated from the circuits ... i mean i see only good things ...
I very much prefer the power solution used in the Hydra Z even if i cannot tell how much of the very good performance depends on the external power supply.
Thanks again,  gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back