Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #196 of 658
Gino, RB2013;

I am absolutely loving my Monarchy M22B and had a couple questions for you.

First, comparing my Arcam FMJ CD23 to my MacBook's optical out. The same tracks sound much better on the Mac, with the optical in to the M22B. Is this to be expected?

Second, I will pick up a Melodious in the next couple of days. I am not technically adept enough to mod at your level, is there anybody out there doing the mods commercially?

Third, which connection do you prefer, AES/EBU, coaxil, or optical?

I really appreciate your advice!

Nice unit! - I am a Tube DAC guy though.
biggrin.gif

Hi All,

FYI:

Tomorrow Hydra-Z will be shipped to me 
bigsmile_face.gif

It's a new device so it needs burn-in time.

I'll keep you guys posted 
wink_face.gif

Regards,
Alex

popcorn.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #197 of 658
  To me the updated version with radiators on the chip came.
220uF/25V the regulator of the power a covering is replaced with ELNA.
Only 2sht. gold TXCO (

I guess there must have been overheating issue with the linear regulator and XMOS chip.  I take the covers off of mine - should help air circulation.

I think the TXCO gold for the USB was replace with a XCO (like the Gustard has) - TXCO only for the timing clocks.  Maybe cheaper?  Or more stable.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #203 of 658
Aug 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #205 of 658
Thanks Sergey, I appreciate your advice!

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #206 of 658
http://s013.radikal.ru/i324/1508/d8/2ef0d4644914.jpg
http://s017.radikal.ru/i428/1508/af/2393a058ff74.jpg
http://s018.radikal.ru/i527/1508/63/7e2d701d5243.jpg
http://s55.radikal.ru/i149/1508/90/b3e79ca648d8.jpg

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #208 of 658
Цитата:
Сообщение от rb2013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Сергей - ты заменить 220uF колпачок 16V после LT1963? Это выглядит как гораздо лучше Elna затем один в блоке или шахты Джино.

No, I changed nothing. Such option came from the seller with EBAY. ELNA is better?

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #209 of 658
Hi guys,

The AudioByte Hydra-Z has arrived today 
bigsmile_face.gif

I received it without the ZPM external power supply, but I made a connectioncable and connected it to my 15600 mAh Lion usb powersupply.

It's playing now for a few hours. I had some problems with installing drivers. I couldn't get it working with modified XMOS drivers, system did recognize Hydra-Z
bnut I couldn't play any music at any setting so I had to use the drivers from their website, which are dated back to 2013 
confused_face.gif

I also had to find the best settings within JPlay with KS (Kernel Streaming), there aren't many settings I can use with the standard drivers.
This made comparison a little bit more complicated, I had to set my MX-U8 to the same (lower SQ) settings before comparing.

At first I listened to Hydra-Z without external power supply. It didn't sound bad at all, but low frequencies were VERY lame sounding, not tight at all.
So I decided to solder a cable to connect an external powersupply. This made u huge difference, lows were much tighter and overall SQ was better.

First listening impressions (with my own external, heavy battery supply, NOT with ZPM) after a few hours:

The AudioByte Hydra-Z is a very good usb interface.

Out of the box with almost no burn-in time (which it probably needs less because of the absence of power supply / big electrolytic capacitors),
it sounds quite good. I didn't expect this in comparison with my heavily modded MX-U8.

The first thing I noticed was the exact same tonal balance / timbre of voices etc.

For the moment the MX-U8 is still superior to Hydra-Z, MX-U8 has more rest, black around voices and instruments, low level details, no listening fatigue, bigger and deeper soundstage, much tighter bass.

But, don't forget all the work I had to carry out on my MX-U8 to get it at it's present SQ level. Also don't forget my MX-U8 including modifications exceeds the $500 range,,,,

I expect the Hydra-Z to become VERY close to MX-U8, but, there's still the driver problem. It's too old, and it's not possible to set low latency, thus in combination with JPlay
I wouldn't recommend this device. Hope manufacturer will provide a newer driver soon. Also do not forget the performance it now delivers is WITH EXTERNAL SUPPLY.

Maybe it sounds much better with ZPM (which I give a 5% chance in comparison with my usb lion supply), but in that case it will cost you about $1500

Hydra-Z will playing constantly on my system to burn-in, final verdict will follow next Wednesday 
wink_face.gif

Cheers     
beerchug.gif

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back