Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Sep 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #451 of 658
  messy work to prove concept. I tap 1 AC rail to LT 3042 (from LKS audio) and output to 5V dc. 

I just realise that xmos consumes 300 to 500 mA. the voltage drops to 4.4V. therefore I need another 3.3V to the crystek clock (for galvanic isolation). 

The LKS power supply is configured for 5V output, check to see if its working correctly.

Disconnect the board output from the Melodious.

Measure the voltage with nothing connected to the output, verify it is at 5V

Connect  a 5W resistor to the output of the regulator board and check it is 5V. Use 10ohm for 500mA, 15ohm for 333mA

See if the board puts out 5V in both cases, use the existing Melodious transformer as the AC power source.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #452 of 658
I have got a warning not using the diyinhk LT3032 board:

"i would not recommend you diyinhk LT3042 0.8uV. After researching was revealed that it has congenital defect made by diyinhk. The high freq noise on Mhz area is spreading around everything and no possibility to fix it without removing transistor"

Any comments or solution for this issue?

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #453 of 658
  I have got a warning not using the diyinhk LT3032 board:

"i would not recommend you diyinhk LT3042 0.8uV. After researching was revealed that it has congenital defect made by diyinhk. The high freq noise on Mhz area is spreading around everything and no possibility to fix it without removing transistor"

Any comments or solution for this issue?

Thanks.

Can you reveal your source please?

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #454 of 658
I have got the info from a card owner in private msg.
Before purchasing this board with tempting parameters (the chip at least), I'm curious if anybody can confirm or confute? Is it a unique or a common feature of the boards?

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #455 of 658
Hey all, I have rb2013's MX-U8 fired up and in my system. Cleaner, clearer window to the music, with an expansive soundstage, but maybe a tad brighter or less body than my Mac's optical out to the Monarchy M22B. Does this mirror anybody else's experience?

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #456 of 658
  I have got the info from a card owner in private msg.
Before purchasing this board with tempting parameters (the chip at least), I'm curious if anybody can confirm or confute? Is it a unique or a common feature of the boards?

I do not know what you are talking about, I don't own the equipment to measure EMI/RFI or some sort of other radiation, I only can tell
that this psu really does a good job within audio stuff.

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #458 of 658
  You mean that you have this DIYINHK PSU, and sonically looks fine?

It's obvious you didn't read the thread,,,,,

See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/767935/melodious-mx-u8-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/90#post_11735695

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #459 of 658

It's obvious you didn't read the thread,,,,,

See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/767935/melodious-mx-u8-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/90#post_11735695

You are rigth, google search like "LT3042 diyinhk" directed me to another page of the topic. Thank you for the link.
I also like the sound of Cree schottkies as diode bridge, but  I used them in high voltage tube circuit. In low voltage applications old Motorola MBR ones are also appropriate for mee.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #460 of 658
  You are rigth, google search like "LT3042 diyinhk" directed me to another page of the topic. Thank you for the link.
I also like the sound of Cree schottkies as diode bridge, but  I used them in high voltage tube circuit. In low voltage applications old Motorola MBR ones are also appropriate for mee.

Hi Abra,

You're welcome 
wink_face.gif

The Cree diodes are really good, I just put them in my new dac too, and it's a big improvement.

This very cheap chinese AK4495SEQ based dac, which I bought for testing purposes, amazes me!
It definitely will STAY!

As it has a designflaw I had to solder on it, and I decided to replace the 1N5401 diodes with the Cree C3D02060 ones.

Designflaw: The caps between VREFHL/VREFLL and VREFHR/VREFLR were 33uF only instead of 220uF stated in datasheet.
Further, as stated in evaluationboard datasheet of AK4490SEQ, THD+N at 20Hz (+) would improve by 8dB when using 2200uF caps,
I had to put two caps in parallel with those 33uF ones. Hifiduino states on their site that noisefigures probably would even getting better if choosing bigger values so
I decided to solder some 5600uF caps on the bottom of the pcb which definitely made a very good improvement!

Btw, there are a lot of AK4495SEQ based dacs  (also REAL expensive ones) which have same designflaw,,,,,,,,,,,

vrefcap.png

Some (badly taken) pics,,,,,

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #461 of 658

Hi Abra,

You're welcome 
wink_face.gif

The Cree diodes are really good, I just put them in my new dac too, and it's a big improvement.

This very cheap chinese AK4495SEQ based dac, which I bought for testing purposes, amazes me!
It definitely will STAY!

As it has a designflaw I had to solder on it, and I decided to replace the 1N5401 diodes with the Cree C3D02060 ones.

Designflaw: The caps between VREFHL/VREFLL and VREFHR/VREFLR were 33uF only instead of 220uF stated in datasheet.
Further, as stated in evaluationboard datasheet of AK4490SEQ, THD+N at 20Hz (+) would improve by 8dB when using 2200uF caps,
I had to put two caps in parallel with those 33uF ones. Hifiduino states on their site that noisefigures probably would even getting better if choosing bigger values so
I decided to solder some 5600uF caps on the bottom of the pcb which definitely made a very good improvement!

Btw, there are a lot of AK4495SEQ based dacs  (also REAL expensive ones) which have same designflaw,,,,,,,,,,,

vrefcap.png

Some (badly taken) pics,,,,,

Thank you.
After testing ES9018 and another ES9018K2M diyinhk boards, the next logical step would be to give a chance to the AK4495SEQ or AK4490EQ. They seems to be the best DAC chips of the delta-sigma world. Or continue with the tempting Soekris distcrete R2R DAC.
But I have changed my mind. It's time to try some high precision, multibit, non-audio purpose DAC chips. They are used in  industrial, defense and aerospace applications.
This is not a diy project like buying a few plug-and-play boards, adding the transformator and the box, and ready within one day. But my audio buddies can design and build both the DAC board's hardware and the necessary XMOS programming.
If it won't be successfull enough, the AKM chips and the Soekris discret DAC will be considered again.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #462 of 658

Thank you.
After testing ES9018 and another ES9018K2M diyinhk boards, the next logical step would be to give a chance to the AK4495SEQ or AK4490EQ. They seems to be the best DAC chips of the delta-sigma world. Or continue with the tempting Soekris distcrete R2R DAC.
But I have changed my mind. It's time to try some high precision, multibit, non-audio purpose DAC chips. They are used in  industrial, defense and aerospace applications.
This is not a diy project like buying a few plug-and-play boards, adding the transformator and the box, and ready within one day. But my audio buddies can design and build both the DAC board's hardware and the necessary XMOS programming.
If it won't be successfull enough, the AKM chips and the Soekris discret DAC will be considered again.

AK4490 has better specs but AK4495 is the better sounding one. Will try mono setup later! Btw, AK4497 is coming, samples available in December, will sound like AK4495 with better specs than AK4490 
wink_face.gif

Soekris looks very nice, but I don't like the onboard psu. Would love to see a Soekris with possibility to feed ALL stages with external psu (without a lot of modifying pcb,,,),
thats why I didn't buy one

Keep us posted about your multibit / non-audio purpose dac chips based project, very interesting indeed!

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #463 of 658

AK4490 has better specs but AK4495 is the better sounding one. Will try mono setup later! Btw, AK4497 is coming, samples available in December, will sound like AK4495 with better specs than AK4490 
wink_face.gif

Soekris looks very nice, but I don't like the onboard psu. Would love to see a Soekris with possibility to feed ALL stages with external psu (without a lot of modifying pcb,,,),
thats why I didn't buy one

Keep us posted about your multibit / non-audio purpose dac chips based project, very interesting indeed!

We will se the results within a few month.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #464 of 658
Hi all,

First of all, I'm very happy to find this forum, lots of very useful infos about hifi. Respect to the writers.
I have a question about USB transports. Here's my system:

Yulong D18 DAC (without USB in) => Amp => Speakers

My plan is to feed this with my PC.

As I see in this forum the
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-XMOS-U8-USB-Digital-Interface-DSD-PCM-I2S-AES-EBU-Coaxial-Optical-converter-/141026791919
transport can be good for this purpose. (with Talema supply)

My questions:

Which one is the best connection between the ( transport ) < = > ( DAC )    
SPDIF, optical, AES/EBU?

Is it worth to buy a special USB card (PPA V2 for example) into the PC for better sound? If yes, with dedicated PSU or not? My preferences are to spend money only if very neccessary.
I know this is abolutely personal. So, help for this: I'd like to buy this only if the quality difference is _very_ significant , not "after several comparison" or "after burned in" or "in some cases" or  "after listen it for weeks" ..etc. You know what I mean.. I'm a developer, working with PCs for years, so this fancy USB outs a kind of myth for me.. :)

I'm new in music through PC, so this can be a silly question, sorry for that. My DAC don't support DSD. Is that means I absolutely wont play DSD files with this system
or can be played but lower sound quality than a DSD capable DAC?

Thank you!

Limpy

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #465 of 658
  Hi all,

First of all, I'm very happy to find this forum, lots of very useful infos about hifi. Respect to the writers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-XMOS-U8-USB-Digital-Interface-DSD-PCM-I2S-AES-EBU-Coaxial-Optical-converter-/141026791919

My questions:

SPDIF, optical, AES/EBU?

Is it worth to buy a special USB card (PPA V2 for example) into the PC for better sound? If yes, with dedicated PSU or not? My preferences are to spend money only if very neccessary.
I know this is abolutely personal. So, help for this: I'd like to buy this only if the quality difference is _very_ significant , not "after several comparison" or "after burned in" or "in some cases" or  "after listen it for weeks" ..etc. You know what I mean.. I'm a developer, working with PCs for years, so this fancy USB outs a kind of myth for me.. :)

I'm new in music through PC, so this can be a silly question, sorry for that. My DAC don't support DSD. Is that means I absolutely wont play DSD files with this system

Thank you!

Limpy

Hi all,

My questions:

SPDIF, optical, AES/EBU?

Yulong D18 doesn't have I2s otherwise I definitely would choose I2S, try AES/EBU, it's best option when using SPDIF.

Not sure if PPA V2 is the best option, could be worth a try to buy an Uptone USB Regen instead of PPA V2.
You could ask HeadFi member motberg about PPA V2 / Uptone Regen.

Depends on your playback software. If using JRiver, it can downsample to 192kHz, but be sure your pc has sufficient processor power otherwise SQ will degrade.

Thank you!

Limpy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back