Melbourne Meet Impressions - Sunday 7 October 2007
Oct 7, 2007 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I guess I should officially start this thread!

First of all, thanks to all of you for coming today - it wouldn't have been a meet without you!

I just got home and I'm stuffed! Carrying all that gear around is quite a chore... maybe I'll hire some removalists for the next one (sorry about all the stairs guys). I think the day was a real success, there didn't seem to be any issues (hope no-one got a parking ticket), and I got to play with lots of other peoples toys! I'll post a couple of photos here when I get a moment, although I don't have many as I was too busy trying to get some quality time with all the gear.

Would be interested in hearing what everyone's favourite combos were - for me I think it was minivans Yamamoto driving the ATH-W5000s, followed by the Yamamoto driving my Clou Cabled HD650s - but that could just be my bias coming through! I would've liked to try that combo with the SA11-S1 as source, but didn't get a chance... maybe we'll do that next time. It was also interesting getting to hear some AKG K501s, Audio Equation RP-21s, and RSA Raptor amongst other things. Also saw a Tomahawk in the flesh for the first time - man that thing is small!

Thanks everyone! Look forward to the next meet.

gz76.

P1050640.jpg

P1050641.jpg

P1050642.jpg

P1050643.jpg

P1050644.jpg

P1050645.jpg

P1050646.jpg

P1050647.jpg

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 39
It was a fun day with so many toys and so little time. Good to meet all who turned up today.

I think i will add a closed can like Audio Technica ATW5000 in the future. It goes really well with the Yamamoto HA2 and like you Glenn, i would have liked to pair them with your Marantz SA11S1 but may be next time.

RSA Raptor and Corda Opera are great too. Got to watch my wallet carefully.
3000smile.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 39
it is a fun day, i enjoy every single minutes of it. get to sample so many different gears all at once and get to know what's your preference, this can save heaps in the long run. every1 have awesome gear to show off. i like the combo of the w5000/ha5000 and the w5000/yamamoto. where's that w5000 in the pictures? it's so popular in the meet, must be in some1 's head :p
i also like the ibasso d1 and the pk3, very good value for money. as for the Green solo VS HP100 VS Talisman T3-H VS Opera, due to time constraint and with so many toys, i only spent on average 5 minutes on each amp. hard to do an in dept comparison, as the owner of both the solo and the talisman and being familiar with both amps sound signature, all i can say is
the hp100 has fairy similar sound signature to the solo,detailed, clear, bass hit deep and tight, the opera sound a bit like the talisman, warm, lush and wide sound stage. the owners of the hp100 and opera might want to give their inputs on their thoughts.

look forward to the next meet, no balanced amp in this meet, hopefully some1 will bring one next time?
finally a big thanks gz76, for providing the space and organized the meet.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 39
it was great fun, i really enjoyed using a fellow members tomahawk it was fun. and being a portable-iem person, it was interesting trynig out all the cans - i enjoyed the hd-25s (i think) very much as it gave good isolation, it was interesting the different sound signatures cans offer compared to IEMs!

overall a fun day
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 39
First, thanks to gz76 for organizing and hosting this gtg.

the day:
It was a busy Sunday for me + family, so I only arrived in the arvo
and spent ~3 hours there. Good to meet up with local head-fiers, there
is now a local group to compare and contrast gear with.
Very helpful indeed for me who's considering headphone solutions for
home and work
smily_headphones1.gif

my gear:
Tomahawk, UM2, ALO cryo dock
Marantz CD48 + Kimber IC (not used since there were sufficient sources).
Guess what I forgot to bring!
frown.gif

Yup, my Ipod source. It's not a great source but at least I have a
reference point I'm already used to.
I did bring some CDs, so made good use of the Marantz SA11-S1.
Played some Eva Cassidy, Katie Melua, Stacey Kent, Van Morrison, Hugh Masekela
and yes, Virgil Fox's organ works on the rig I liked.
Found New Buffalo (thanks jaspert)!

goal for the day:
Find some headphone(s) I like, I have never listened to any high-end
headphones. The following are just first impressions, not a review for
obvious reasons.

cut to the chase, what I liked best:
Marantz SA11-S1 source + RSA's raptor + HD-650.
Wonderful mid-range with both female and male vocals.
A good sense of space. Faults if any did not detract from just enjoying
the music. Maybe the source and amp had great synergy with this headphone.
I won't hesitate to buy a HD-650, it suits my taste for now.

everything else is just different:
Also tried the Yamamoto with AKG-701, W5000, 2500ULE and HD-650.
The first 3 sounded a little splashy at the top end to me with
the Ultrasone being most splashy. I liked the W5000 with the Yamamoto,
good wide sound space, articulate but preferred the HD-650 with it.
It was more musical and engaging, albeit a little slow.
However the source (Iriver to Zhaolu) and music (Brothers in Arms) used to
demo this I'm not very familiar with.
Also tried the Paradisea DAC, no comments on this, need more time with
it since it's a DAC I'm considering.
Did not get a chance to demo everything else, maybe next time.

That's all I had time for, the rest was just chatter.
cheers to gz76 and everyone else who attended and brought gear to share.
Maybe the next one I'll bring a new headphone and amp
tongue.gif

enjoy
k_

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the looks of it, there was a female there?

Hahaha, yeah. Both my partner and my dog were there for a while - no female head-fiers tho, I think that's just a myth!

I just realised how bad my photos are - they don't do the gear justice. Maybe one of the other guys can upload some more photos? I think FeedMeTrance should have some decent shots *hint*.
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha, yeah. Both my partner and my dog were there for a while - no female head-fiers tho, I think that's just a myth!

I just realised how bad my photos are - they don't do the gear justice. Maybe one of the other guys can upload some more photos? I think FeedMeTrance should have some decent shots *hint*.
tongue.gif

hold ur horses, ill get em up!

as a result of the meet ive already purchased a pair of Yuin PK3's for funsies, also nearly bought a Tomahawk today, going to try out k371n's LDM+ to see if I like that!

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 39
sounds like a fun day. always wanted to hear a w5000. i'm sure it sounds awesome with the yamamoto amp. sucks that i cant wear a closed headphone for extended period of time (over 30mins) with out steaming my ears :p.

looks like my k1000 should have better amp and cables ready for the next meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like a great meet

from the looks of it, there was a female there?

Or, someone really likes eating chicken.

Would loved to have come and brought some of my modest gear...maybe next time.
Any impressions on the Graham Slee Solo with Grados from anyone?

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #14 of 39
Great meet - thanks again to the host
biggrin.gif
It was great just to clap eyes on a whole bunch of gear I had previously only read about. Really cool bunch of guys too. I was quite keen on the stello ensemble (dac, headamp, poweramp) and the opera - special mention to the lavry. Gee, the HD650 had quite a presence - they are a good all round high end can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back