Melbourne Meet 19/07/2008 - Impressions
Jul 22, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 25
nice pics, and nice little space invaders box lol. What is that red cable on the darkvoice btw?

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Suntory, I'm not sure I even met you on Saturday. Mind you, I don't know what you look like so I may have.

I'm the guy with blonde hair trying on the akg340's (or if you did talk to me a semi-british accent), I didn't bring much myself but yep, my headphones did make the photos (the sextet on top of the led zeplin cd)
smily_headphones1.gif

Good meet, and big thanks to FeedMeTrance for organizing the meet.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice pics, and nice little space invaders box lol. What is that red cable on the darkvoice btw?

Hehe, yeah that's my Alien '2600' DAC in the Space Invaders cartridge. Fits perfectly -- although not sure how I'll go squeezing some VitaminQ's in there when I get around to upgrading it.

The red cable is a Clou Cable 'Red Jaspis' connected to a pair of HD-650s. You can also see someone (not naming names) wearing it in another shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the guy with blonde hair trying on the akg340's (or if you did talk to me a semi-british accent), I didn't bring much myself but yep, my headphones did make the photos (the sextet on top of the led zeplin cd)
smily_headphones1.gif

Aha! Yeah, never got around to saying hi to you. Oh well, will make more of an effort next time. So what did you think of the stuff you listened to? What was your favourite and why? This thread does need more impressions!

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #19 of 25
big thanks to feedmetrance and gz76 for making this meet possible
biggrin.gif

also a big thanks to ian ( webbie ) for sending some of his portable gears from sydney for us to try out,

try out webbie's xin supermicro portable amps, it has a sweet tuby sound it and can drive headphone very well, the size is so small

the pico, it has a very transparent, neutral , refined sound, the size of the pico look so small in real life in compare to the photo.

we also have a few talented diyer here in this meet. one of the diyer 's setup, it has a dac consist of 2 box, with a modifier speaker amp, it sound very smooth with the hd650, very cool stuff.

as for the gz76's k1000, first listened to it with some diana krall tracks, it has a sparkle high end with good detail in the mid, changing the cd to some john coltrance tracks with several instruments playing at the same time, that really waken up the k1000, the soundstage is really awesome. i think i need to listen to the k1000 one more time, it is a very open headphone and the enviroment of the meet is not ideal to listen to this kind of headphone.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also a big thanks to ian ( webbie ) for sending some of his portable gears from sydney for us to try out.

Always happy to help fellow HeadFi-ers.
biggrin.gif
(it's been good to give my back-up amp, my FordGTLover Panasonic caps Mini3, a run whilst the other portable amps were down south).

Sounds like you had a good meet. I'm looking forward to more reviews and photos.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #21 of 25
Few pictures so far. Hopefully you guys have more of them up your sleeves..
Looks like a lot of fun though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Few pictures so far. Hopefully you guys have more of them up your sleeves...

Yeah, the mix of HeadFi-er/Photographer does not seem as strong in Melbourne as with some of our other members around the world.
redface.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

big thanks to feedmetrance and gz76 for making this meet possible
biggrin.gif

This one was all FeedMeTrance. I took a step back after the initial thread got started.

Quote:

i think i need to listen to the k1000 one more time, it is a very open headphone and the enviroment of the meet is not ideal to listen to this kind of headphone.

Anytime dude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the mix of HeadFi-er/Photographer does not seem as strong in Melbourne as with some of our other members around the world.
redface.gif

Thanks for supplying all the extra portable gear webbie. It was good to check out some stuff I wouldn't normally listen to.

I think FeedMeTrance has a few more photos to come. I don't think anyone else had a camera there tho. Maybe someone can bring a photographer friend to the next meet.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #24 of 25
Listening to k1000's is definitely a very different experience, and unusual if your used to cupped headphone. I'm amazed how much drive they require too ! (I noticed someone plug in some headphones while the amp was driving the k1000's ...well, I hope everyone can still hear !).

I also reckon the alien dac was kinda cool for what it is
smily_headphones1.gif
Mini-Fi is definitely an interesting field, and I'm gonna have a crack at building something micro for the next meet (as opposed to something huge :p, though I may bring my phono stage to the next meet if there's gonna be some TT action).

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #25 of 25
Just have a few pictures of the table, none with people in them, sorry :p

dsc00315.jpg

dsc00312.jpg

dsc00311.jpg

Oh I got a pair of X3is from icecreamfreak today, first impressions are tons of bass, hopefully they'll tame down with burn in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back