Meier OPERA Owners
Jun 7, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #151 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you suggest reboot the Mac AFTER the Opera comes back on?

Actually, I don't know!
icon10.gif
All I can say is that is what I did, and it worked. In my case, I'm fairly certain, the DAC crashed (can that happen with hardware?) and just needed a cold restart. Anyway, it certainly worked, probably more because of the cool-down period rather than the MAC restart.

I haven't had anymore problems but I switch on the air conditioning when I listen now. The case doesn't get very hot like before and no problem with DAC anymore, even after 24+ hrs on.

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #152 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpk123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I don't know!
icon10.gif
All I can say is that is what I did, and it worked. In my case, I'm fairly certain, the DAC crashed (can that happen with hardware?) and just needed a cold restart. Anyway, it certainly worked, probably more because of the cool-down period rather than the MAC restart.

unless things have evolved dramatically in the last few years, a DAC can not crash: it does not have an internal state (in the software sense). I would report the incident to Jan and ask him if a check-up/repair of your Opera is in order...

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #153 of 247
I'll wait for the next time the DAC goes weird on me, then will drop a note to Jan. ATM it's behaving itself and I'm just so happy with the sounds coming through, I don't want to be parted with my Opera!

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #155 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add another Opera USB owner to the ranks. Mine just arrived from its overseas flight. Sounds great and the USB port is working just fine. Burn in, baby, burn in!

I so do not wnt to go to work today :)

Grats!!! Where are the PICS?!!!?! LOL!! Be sure to post some impressions when ya get a chance!!
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #156 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add another Opera USB owner to the ranks. Mine just arrived from its overseas flight. Sounds great and the USB port is working just fine. Burn in, baby, burn in!

I so do not want to go to work today :)

Gratz!! Enjoy (later when you can).

This thread continues to taunt me. (BUY ME, BUY ME...)

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #157 of 247
Morph201 wanted a photograph...
smily_headphones1.gif

dsc0221vy1.jpg

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #159 of 247
Great picture, in fact the best I have seen so far.
Are knobs plastic or machined aluminum? Someone earlier complained about them being plastic.
Thanks.

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #160 of 247
Quote:

Got into my office this morning and I hear nothing coming out of the Opera. The DP LED is blinking slowly which is indicating no digital feed coming through.I have no idea what has caused this problem between my Mac Mini and the Opera.

In the Windows tradition I rebooted to see if that would fix things but no luck. I went into the Mac preferences and everything is set as it was before and I also tried to listen directly out of the Mac mini which had no problems.I then switched USB ports on the Mac mini and reset the system tools to choose USB DAC. This also did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

I emailed Jan about a month before you did with nearly the same problem. I believe the switch that you hear clicking from can get "stuck" in the open or closed position. The clicking is due to the line input going from information to low noise. It cuts out during dead air time basically, and you hear the switch/click.

For me the digital light went out and stayed out. I could not get it to relight, and the USB on the computer was not the problem. For some unknown at this time reason the amps USB stopped passing information to the headphone out. The rca continued to work, everything seems the same other than the led went out and nothing could be played via that input. About 30 minutes after I emailed Jan the problem self corrected.

I did nothing to the PC. What I did try was switching the digital input switch on the back between USB and spdif a few times. I turned the amp on and off a few times, and alas jarred it a few times in the hope that perhaps the switch was just stuck open and not allowing the digital signal to pass.

I can not be sure what was "the" cure, but if I had to guess I think it was the jar (bumped it) while the amp was off. When I switched it back on after this jar...it worked as before.

Same thing has happened 1 more time about 3 weeks after the first time, and this time after going through the same thing as the first time it immediately worked again.

I believe that keeping the amp on during non music playing sessions...meaning surfing the net, the intense switching that occurs as the browser switches between pages makes this switch malfunction. Both times it was during internet use that my amps USB went dead. You will notice that the clicks are very frequent during internet use. I am thinking of plugging into the pc for internet and using the amp solely for music playback.

I am a fan of the amp, but I won't be surprised if this problem crops up for many if they use it all the time with their pc through gaming, and or searches on the net. Likely most here are not using the opera via computer/USB full time and hence have not experienced any problems. Please chime in if you have had hours of use while doing internet browsing. Go to a site and surf, we need more testing in this USB area I think.

EDIT: My amp has stuck in this "off" mode 2 more times since this post was made. I have found that simply switching the digital input on the back of the amp from usb to spdif and back to usb solved the problem. Both times this worked. I left the opera plugged in and on, no bumps required. Hope this make diagnosis of the problem easier to troubleshoot. For me, all times I have lost sound the digital red led went to unlit and the sound stopped.

Thanks Lou

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #161 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by LouT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed Jan about a month before you did with nearly the same problem. I believe the switch that you hear clicking from can get "stuck" in the open or closed position. The clicking is due to the line input going from information to low noise. It cuts out during dead air time basically, and you hear the switch/click.

For me the digital light went out and stayed out. I could not get it to relight, and the USB on the computer was not the problem. For some unknown at this time reason the amps USB stopped passing information to the headphone out. The rca continued to work, everything seems the same other than the led went out and nothing could be played via that input. About 30 minutes after I emailed Jan the problem self corrected.

I did nothing to the PC. What I did try was switching the digital input switch on the back between USB and spdif a few times. I turned the amp on and off a few times, and alas jarred it a few times in the hope that perhaps the switch was just stuck open and not allowing the digital signal to pass.

I can not be sure what was "the" cure, but if I had to guess I think it was the jar (bumped it) while the amp was off. When I switched it back on after this jar...it worked as before.

Same thing has happened 1 more time about 3 weeks after the first time, and this time after going through the same thing as the first time it immediately worked again.

I believe that keeping the amp on during non music playing sessions...meaning surfing the net, the intense switching that occurs as the browser switches between pages makes this switch malfunction. Both times it was during internet use that my amps USB went dead. You will notice that the clicks are very frequent during internet use. I am thinking of plugging into the pc for internet and using the amp solely for music playback.

I am a fan of the amp, but I won't be surprised if this problem crops up for many if they use it all the time with their pc through gaming, and or searches on the net. Likely most here are not using the opera via computer/USB full time and hence have not experienced any problems. Please chime in if you have had hours of use while doing internet browsing. Go to a site and surf, we need more testing in this USB area I think.

Thanks Lou

I had the problem initially when I first got the amp, but I thought it was my PC not reconizing the uSB device.. I did pretty much the same steps as you (i.e. switching between analog in, usb\spdif etc...) and it "worked" itself out. I haven't had an issue since and that was almost 2 months ago. just I did experience a NEW one (with USB). The light was ON, meaning it was receiving a signal, but NOTHING was coming out of the headphone out, no sound. I assume it was a timing issue of me plugging the USB in as the notebook was booting up and turning the amp on, perhaps that caused the relais to get stuck also? After powering everything down for a couple of seconds it worked again, and no issues whatsoever after that. Regarding what you're saying as far as the internet surfing, I noticed that also if I'm NOT listening to my phones I hear something click between switching pages, while using my notebook, I use the amp while surfing. I did not notice this while using it on my PC (or never paid attention, since it's noisy in the other room).

Using it with the coax in was flawless, there must be a series of events that make the USB tempermental (???).

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #162 of 247
I mostly have been using the Operas DAC section by coax with the SB3 as transport for the functionality of its interface / volume control fine tunning by remote away from the keyboard(where my Operas is stacked) and with its preamp function driving my stereo. Very handy. Consequently, I've only utilized the USB to PC input on a trial basis and didn't believe I sensed any clicking of the switch described.

However, just now I did test it once agin, before I pack it up to ship, going on to the next reviewer. I could only detect a nearly inaudiable click between forced track changes with phones off the head, on this Opera. Whatever "click" is made with forced track changes is not audiable by myself with phones on the head . I cannot believe this is audiable while stereo speakers are in use at a distance of 4 foot from the Opera. No other issues have been noted with the Opera USB, PC as source utilization. Also, no issues with internet useage simultaniously with regards to reported clicks from the Opera, again which I couldn't hear if it did, and then only with phones off the head, and ear up to the Opera (within 2 ft.). Quality of the material played (WMA lossless) is as well presented as to be indistinguisable from SB3 or CDP as source by coax!

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #163 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by LouT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You may have hit the nail on the head! That certainly describes what I was doing immediately prior to the USB malfunctioning. In trying to test the connections, I did move the amp a couple of times to get to the back, but I also did leave it off for enough time to cool down to room temperature. If it were a little (mechanical?) relay causing problems, either could have been a solution. Need to try and play around some more but so far the amp has been behaving itself and I can't reproduce the fault atm.

I wonder if Jan is following this thread and if so, whether he has any input?

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #164 of 247
I sent my Opera back to Todd today and he is shipping a replacement right away. Jan replied back to the answers I gave him and is willing to send me a replacement right away, in fact, Jan was willing for me to have both Opera's and send back the troubled once A/B testing was done.

Needless to say, the customer service with both Todd and Jan is exceptional in this case and I hope for their sake that any issue with my unit is easily fixable and that their reputation remains stellar.

My Opera issue presents a bit unique symptoms since my dp LED was pulsing. Others with similar issues (no sound) had different LED symptoms such as a solid or unlit LED.

I did all the troubleshooting as described by others to no avail so the unit got returned. I hope to get back to reviewing soon.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #165 of 247
Quote:

I sent my Opera back to Todd today and he is shipping a replacement right away. Jan replied back to the answers I gave him and is willing to send me a replacement right away, in fact, Jan was willing for me to have both Opera's and send back the troubled once A/B testing was done.

Needless to say, the customer service with both Todd and Jan is exceptional in this case and I hope for their sake that any issue with my unit is easily fixable and that their reputation remains stellar.

My Opera issue presents a bit unique symptoms since my dp LED was pulsing. Others with similar issues (no sound) had different LED symptoms such as a solid or unlit LED.

I did all the troubleshooting as described by others to no avail so the unit got returned. I hope to get back to reviewing soon.

Glad your problem's getting sorted out. That's the great thing dealing with ppl like Jan and Todd, premium aftersales service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back