Meier OPERA Owners
May 28, 2007 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 247

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
If there's a "unifying" thread out there, I missed it, but I'm starting this one anyway!

I'm not sure how many OPERA owners there are out there in the head-fi world, but here's a thread to post your impressions... good, bad, or indifferent! It's time we unite...
wink.gif
I will post my impressions in a few, but, right now I have a couple of things on the grill (Memorial DAY!) and a couple of beers\drinks that are starting to get room temperature!
frown.gif

C'mon.. let your voices be heard..

May 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 247
didn't u sell yours :wink:

May 28, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 247
I just Knew if we hammered him he would cave and be content
wink.gif

If my timing has been right, my custon Corda Opera should arrive before my 2 week TTVJ Meier Corda Opera audition is through... That's my testimonial to the question
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's custom about it.

Dual 'low z" jacks , dialed up 40% gain / 3dbs , resistors changed for soft blue LEDs
wink.gif

May 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 247
I love mine...even though I am not so sure if it is such a good match for the K701. It sounds great, no doubt about that, but still the bass response (i.e. the drums in my case...) is a bit too slow for me. Impactwise it's perfect though.
Just to give you an impression of what I am searching for: the AT AD2000 was perfect for me in that respect.
But maybe I should just get new cans and be done with it.

Other things: It looks darn cool in person. From the pictures I always got the impression of a flimsy and cheap-looking enclosure ...man was I wrong! Looks rock-solid and is rather on the heavy side as well.
My only gripe would be the loose source selector knob. I even try to avoid using it at all because it feels like it might come off completely at some point. Not that it would, I'm quite sure of that, it just feels very insecure. As far as I know, quite a few people here have complained about this, so it should be known by now.

May 28, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 247
I bought one from Todd - has not arrived yet but I will post "my love" or thoughts. I am hoping it mates well with my phones but who knows, right? I know Dr. Meier products are top-notch so it will be a matter of being my cup of tea versus any thing else.

I wish Todd offered the options Dr. Meier does - I wanted dual "low zs" also.

May 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual 'low z" jacks , dialed up 40% gain / 3dbs , resistors changed for soft blue LEDs
wink.gif

Wish I had thought to do that too.
frown.gif

After a month of ownership, if I had to do it all over again, I would

1) give up the 120 ohm jack (used it on the first day, then decided whatever quality issues were not as significant as the drop in volume); and

2) increase gain (i'm usually at 2-3 o'clock on the volm, sometimes more. Maybe this is 'cause the sound is so clean, it is tempting to dial up the volume higher than usual)

3) ask for machined aluminium knobs. The plastic ones definitely do not look the part of a high quality space-age looking amp.

The DAC LED doesn't bother me so much as my Opera is on placed on a shelf above my eye level when sitting, so never notice the thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 247
Anyone using the Opera strictly as an amplifier? I'm considering an upgrade from my Canamp to something more or less half-rack sized.

May 29, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 247
I love my Opera - it serves me as preamp, DAC, and headphone amp in my office system, and does so with aplomb. Sounds truly excellent. I do with the DAC LED didn't flash when it wasn't locked, but other than that, it's ALL GOOD.

May 29, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 247
Mine is only a humble man Opera (Analog), but I reckon I could qualify for this club.

Opera replaced Heed CanAmp and Zhoalu D2 is on its way out, mighty Benchmark DAC1 is coming in soon (thanks jpelg
wink.gif
).

What to say? Damn good looking piece, build like a panzer tank. The Opera's credentials as excellent headphone amp has been already established on these forums, I agree, I'm one happy Jan's customer.

May 29, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using the Opera strictly as an amplifier? I'm considering an upgrade from my Canamp to something more or less half-rack sized.

As I typed my previous post yours just sneaked in - so yes, mine serves as amp only and coincidentally replaced CanAmp.
Alhough this half rack size means I have to redo my stand, I cannot fit DAC1 (half rack as well) next to Opera, I'm ~ inch short there.

May 29, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 247
I've googled and not found the Opera website...anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back