Meier Corda Move details released
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #346 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by onedigit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn’t notice any difference in SQ or volume between 9V battery and 12V ps.

Low impedance cans won't benefit from additional voltage because the amp becomes current limited. The AKG 701's should have sufficient voltage to push the amp to its current limit with 5V usb power.

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #347 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are suggestions, some from Dr. Meier:
(Factory default: High Current, Low Gain) - it is suitable in most ways if you use both 9V and 12VDC, mixing with IEM and 250 ohm headphones.

Factory default is high current and high gain.

I don't understand the reasoning why move shouldn't have enough power for K701. If low gain doesn't provide enough volume, then just switch to high gain and you will be fine.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #349 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylabs reviews are all fantastic but synergies and tastes vary so it's always nice to read other impressions.

Indeed - we are all different! Mine is but one opinion. I personally really like to read other impressions, including ones that do not agree with me. We all have different ears, and different ideals.

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #350 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to onedigit, the high gain and high current introduce static. Onedigit, can you see if the high gain, high current mode can drive the k701 sufficiently loud?

What do you mean by static? electrostatics? or?

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #351 of 1,165
I am interested in buying one of these amps, but primarily for use with my laptop as a DAC. Emails with Jan concernign the potential power deficiency with USB indicated that the USB power would be doubled internally, providing 10V power for the headphonse.. what does this mean? and how is it possible?

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #352 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shevlock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in buying one of these amps, but primarily for use with my laptop as a DAC. Emails with Jan concernign the potential power deficiency with USB indicated that the USB power would be doubled internally, providing 10V power for the headphonse.. what does this mean? and how is it possible?

+5V,-5V. With high impedance headphones, the power output of the amp is typically voltage limited meaning higher voltage input will provide more power to the headphones. Low impedance headphones will see no increase in power with higher voltages because the amp will be current limited.

Low impedance headphones (<100 ohms) would be the better match if you plan on using primarily usb power. Note that if you use the amp without a battery, you will increase the rate of power drain of your laptop battery.

If you want to use high impedance headphones, just use a battery with the amp for higher voltage (+9V,-9V) and you'll also see a slower power drain of your laptop battery. You can still use the usb audio input; the amp will automatically switch to the higher voltage power source.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #353 of 1,165
I am planning to use HD650s with the amp, which is why I asked the question... But I also don't want to have to replace the battery every week, which is why I was hoping to use USB power primarily... Will the amp lack the sufficient voltage on USB power to drive the 650s?

Thanks in advance

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #354 of 1,165
Quote:

I am planning to use HD650s with the amp, which is why I asked the question... But I also don't want to have to replace the battery every week, which is why I was hoping to use USB power primarily... Will the amp lack the sufficient voltage on USB power to drive the 650s?

Thanks in advance

Get external power for your 650s. It made a difference with mine on the MkIII. There was no voltage doubling there so going from 5v to 9v there wasn't much difference. Going from 9v to 24v external on the MkIII was significant as far as the volume setting to drive the same loudness..

With the Move's voltage doubling, 10v to 18v to 24v doesn't have that same incremental kick as the MkIII so its a little more subtle, but still, the external's24v is the same and both drive my 650s just fine. And it reduces your battery requirements.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #356 of 1,165
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Be assured that usb power will be sufficient to drive the 650's. They will just not be utilizing the full capacity of the amp.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #357 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was no voltage doubling there so going from 5v to 9v there wasn't much difference.

USB power handling in the Mark III and the Move is identical, +5V,-5V.

Mark III: +4.5V,-4.5V battery; +5V,-5V usb; +14V,-14V ac

Move: +4.5V,-4.5V battery low current; +5V,-5V usb; +9V,-9V battery high current; +12V,-12V ac

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #358 of 1,165
I'm going to wait for more reviews of the corda move before hammering down $235 for this amp.

Onedigit stated that there were interference when using the usb dac/amp with his computer on high gain/high volt.

This amp sure is hyped up. Hope it can deliver.
Skylab states that is one of the best portable amp he has reviewed beating out both the tomahawk and hornet. I believe him but again, sound review is subjective.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #359 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to wait for more reviews of the corda move before hammering down $235 for this amp.

Onedigit stated that there were interference when using the usb dac/amp with his computer on high gain/high volt.

This amp sure is hyped up. Hope it can deliver.
Skylab states that is one of the best portable amp he has reviewed beating out both the tomahawk and hornet. I believe him but again, sound review is subjective.

I think you are wise. My opinion is only my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back