Meier Corda Move details released
Jul 2, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #166 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can drive them very loud and sound very good to these ears. They are quite loud at 11 o'clock on the volume pot. Mine is using the default high-gain, high-current config.

Thanks ElDanno koto-in and jcx for your replys. It sounds like I’ll be ok with the Move and my new 701’s. But jcx unfortunately I’m unable to understand a lot of what you are saying. I’m not sure where you come down on the issue. Are you saying the Move is under powered? Could you boil it down a little for me?

ElDanno did you try them with the low-gain, high-current configuration? What do you think? Where does your volume pot end up?

Thanks again…
OD

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #167 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
itsborken: thank you for those PCIII + Move pictures. Any chance at getting a few more?

Also, would you be able to compare the USB DAC functionality and quality between the two.

Sure I'll get that done once I finish exhausting a 9v battery for Skylab. I'm at 33 hours now so it shouldn't be too much longer as the docs say 40 hours at high current.

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #168 of 1,165
I'm sure most listening can be cleanly accomodated by the ~110 dB spl that the Move should be able to push the K701 to in battery or external 12 V reg supply and "high current" mode "

only if you "rock out" at +90 dB average levels with very dynamic recordings is there a chance of infrequent clipping

with any recording that has been squashed by the "loudness war" you shouldn't be able to stand the average volume that would result in clipping

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #170 of 1,165
Who is using the crossfeed? I've never used it before and in my opinion I don't really like it. In rare cases it makes the song easier to listen to (ie Billie Jean... in terms of the swoosh swoosh in the right ear throughout the song). However, it seems to reduce the soundstage and transparency and I'm not using it by default. What is everyone else doing?

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #171 of 1,165
I am using it in general. I like Meier's implementation of crossfeed.

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #172 of 1,165
Skylab, I noticed that you have Corda Opera, HA-2 SE and MOVE. Could you please tell us the sonic similarity/difference among these three? Does MOVE sound more like Opera than HA-2 SE? I have a Prehead mk1 and I found that the sound signature of MOVE is very different from that of Prehead.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #173 of 1,165
The MOVE sounds most like the Opera. It isn't nearly as good, of course, but it's more in that sonic signature than any of the other Meier amps. It's much warmer than a Prehead/HA-2.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #174 of 1,165
Skylab, it seems like on your sig you have a fubar II DAC. Any chance you can compare the DAC quality of move to the fubar
icon10.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #175 of 1,165
I can, but it will be a little while before I can get to it. Lots of stuff on the plate for the small amount of time I can devote to gear reviewing
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #176 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MOVE sounds most like the Opera. It isn't nearly as good, of course, but it's more in that sonic signature than any of the other Meier amps. It's much warmer than a Prehead/HA-2.

Thanks for the explanation. It comewhat confirmed my hypothesis: Jan slightly tweaked the sound signature of his new family of products. At first I was surprised about MOVE's sound signature compared to my Prehead, and now I think I probably like the "new Meier sound" better.

Does anyone have a AD8610 version of Prehead and also a MOVE? I am really curious if it sounds similar to MOVE than my LM6171 Prehead.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #177 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are other people seeing w/r/t battery life in high current mode?

I have 39 hours off a standard Duracell Coppertop 9V running it in 5-11 hour stretches w/breaks for recharging the iPod. That matches up with the docs. Wondered how Jan would show low battery life, the power LED just gets dim. No clipping yet--maybe there's a little life left in it.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #178 of 1,165
Excellent, thanks. My first battery must not have been brand new (took it out of the battery drawer
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #179 of 1,165
I am using it in general. I like Meier's implementation of crossfeed.

Hm I'm warming to crossfeed. I still think it sucks on the MKIII-USB, but the Move crossfeed is much better. My recommendation to fellow crossfeed-haters is to try forgetting about the initial shock of 'closing' the soundstage and leave it on for an hour or so. I'm now finding results similar to "what it says on the tin" - e.g. better placement of instruments and easier to listen to.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #180 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, would you be able to compare the USB DAC functionality and quality between the two.

I can't really separate the USB DAC from the amplifier, but listening to both with D2000 on low gain, it pretty much mimics whats been stated before. There's no great flaw or gotcha in either unit sonic footprint and the output is pretty similar. Bass is more developed in the Move but the music is a little more fluid with a touch less detail. The MkIII is a little less bassy but separation is a touch better along with clarity (I guess they go hand in hand).

As far as whitenoise loudness goes, cranked up all the way on USB power it measured 92db Move vs 93dB MkIII. Both are loud enough to trash your hearing and end your head-fi affliction
biggrin.gif

Going to switch them over to high gain now and compare USB on the HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back