Meier Audio StageDAC
Aug 30, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #421 of 634
Thanks for impressions. I have a question, how is implemented insight StageDAC master clock and the power supplies. This is very important topic which determines several aspects of the sound quality, especially jitters, noise or brum. I know that Maier products are good, well optimal for Premium (classical high end) headphones like HD 600, HD 650, K 701, DT 880, D-2000 etc. I listen this DAC once for (at about 10-15) minutes. Naturally I am open for cooperation and comparing with devices which I know, with Bechmark DAC, Cepheus DAC, or Sirius module etc. But naturally, do not expect from 150 dollars solution more as it is insight device etc.

About crossfeed, by the principle true analogue form is always better then digital one. So if you compare the special circuit implemented in ZAMA HPA-1 amp (Mr. Vrana is interested to implement it to Lyra amps too) and any digital solutions then the analogue from success. The problem with bass is caused by the quality of algorithm implemented insight (or used approach). Binaural processing is not only crossfeed but the correction too. And naturally, the sampling aspect as I wrote once.

And same is true about „active balanced“ things. True balanced connection is totally independent in paths, the components are installed discretely, amplification items are 2x more then in SE form (see for ex. GS-1 and GS-X amp), etc. A lot of producers apply the trick that they „insert“ something from the world of „balanced connection“ but the main construction of the amp is single ended. Serious benefits are naturally lost. Again, when you see serious typical balanced amp and these devices you directly recognize the things. In this case, perfectly produced (tuned) SE amp delivers more then speculative pseudo-balanced devices. This is my experience. Naturally, I am open to compare new devices with one which I perfectly know.

The aspect about global business approaches in the area of audio devices I clearly presented. I presented general phenomena came from business analytics. The performance to price ratio was rarely visited in details in past, but today it is more and more lighted. The world is changed and naturally new approaches need be applied. The simple „comparing“ by price is not so successful because you need understand technical things applied insight. Here is often used approach that there are used some high quality components (for presentation how this device is so excellent) and several chip components so people say it is phantastic quality but the situation is different. But when you take true device where things are right, optimally chosen all things, and when there is rational (good) parformance to price ratio, then naturally you very clearly recognize how things are. This is typical for CD or SACD players, but the same phenomena are found in DAC’s implemented in amps. But naturally, here are several exceptions of brands who does things well.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #422 of 634

Quote:
My HD800 + Concerto + StageDAC arrived today, enjoying it even though neither headphones or amps have had time to burn-in.
Will return with some thoughts on the USB vs HiFACE once I get some more time on this.

And Jan is a delight to do bussiness with, a gentleman just like stated above.
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats to you for that rig!!! I hope I will end up with the exact same setup as soon as my wallet is ready. 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #424 of 634

Quote:
I think here are better solutions for you.

That's for sure if price is not an issue. But bearing in mind that I have surpassed the limits of what my familys financial capabilities will allow me to pour into this hobby, I feel that this investment will bring me as far as I can go soundwise - which is VERY far from my point of view. This is including everything I have owned (now sold) and listened to at meets during the last 5 years. This is including starting (and selling) the Danish headphone shop www.headaudio.dk and looking at the market for amplifiers, dac's and headphones for a loong time I am really happy with my Concerto. In fact I feel it is the best investment in Head-fi gear I have done so far. I am sure the StageDac and HD800 / T1 is close to the best I have heard yet. 

So if there are better solutions - they have to be cheaper AND better - or else they are not in my scope at all. (Read: Forget about Casea amps!!)

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #425 of 634
Rasmushorn–  „(Read: Forget about Casea amps!!)“
Do you know what you speak about? Do you know what is the difference between headphone amp and DAC? Casea producers both amps, dac module for CD players (for tuning - Sirius), dac module for headphone amps, and independent DAC device. So we speak about Cepheus (mk2) device

http://www.casea.eu/pictures/pristroje_91/nahledy/cepheus_white.jpg
http://www.casea.eu/pictures/pristroje_91/nahledy/cepheus2_inside.jpg

and we compare it with StageDAC.

Please try to obtain serious information. It helps you prevent misunderstanding.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #426 of 634
Neptius, I believe rasmushorn's point was that since the Casea DACs are more expensive than the Meier StageDAC, that he was not interested in the Casea product due to the cost.  This is a perfectly valid position for him to take.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #427 of 634
Which approach is there used for crossfeed? When digital then the results are often problematic. When it is in analogue form then the things are much better. Has somebody info about applied crossfeed in Meier devices? In web pages is basic info but nothing concrete. I am interested on it. When I will have the chance to listen this DAC for one week or so, I can prepare my review. I can compare with Cepheus device, Benchmark DAC PRE etc. By the parameters, StageDAC weights comparably to Bechmark DAC, but Cepheus is at about 3x more weight.
Has somebody the pictures of insight? It says much more information. Applied Burr brown items are very good components. It depends which one is chosen, in general they are serious.

Skylab – Cepheus is LESS expensive as StageDAC. NOT opposite. He used the price for different device. Lyra+DAC is different device as Cepheus DAC device. The basic device is Sirius module which is “included” once for Lyra amp and for Cepheus DAC, but these devices have very different purpose. In amp is Deneb concept when Cepheus has absolutely individual concept. That’s all. When he has chosen combination it is good decision because these devices together has good synergy, as I said in issues.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #428 of 634
[size=11pt]Of course, the Concerto or Symphony amp naturally has optimal logical synergy with StageDAC as I said in issues. So this combination is for Rasmushorn good decision. [/size]

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #429 of 634
I show the Cepheus is between $920 and $1,200 USD, according to my calculation (using www.oanda.com for exchange rate conversion).  The StageDAC is $670 USD.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #430 of 634
I think the picture of insight is a good thing. Has somebody good pictures? Thanks. This Meier’s StageDAC is looking symphatic for me. When somebody own Meier’s amp then the synergy with this DAC is naturally well, because producer want to deliver the best item for chain with him amp. I will contact Jan for testing and reviewing. I am open for cooperation. Has somebody information how is there solved master clock, power supplies and filters? In web pages are poor information about it. Thanks.

Skylab - The prices I do not know in details because I am independent person. If you want to know more please contact directly. But there are prices for Czech market in Czech koruna and they differ as international one. The English pages are in progress so there will be international prices. When it released the exchange for dollar was at about 21 KC when today it is around 19.2. Czech koruna is more rated to Euro then Dollar. There are a lot of versions, but basic SE (without preamp) is around 660-670 dollars (if I truly remember). It is true that this it is little less then Maier’s but I do not know what is insight and users functionality is there much bigger. The most expensive version is balanced one (with preamp) and this costs around 1000 euro. When I remember Mr. Vrana is interested rebuilt this version for integration to balanced version of the Lyra amp, to have absolute all in device balanced, from beginning to the end and in complete discrete paths. But for details, please contact directly. I only said what is in own local forums.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #431 of 634
Well, I actually went to Casea's website, looked at the prices, and then did the currency conversion, so my information is based on the facts as they currently present themselves.  If there is a lower price for people outside the CR, I would have no way to know, but according to their website, the basic Cepheus DAC is $920 USD at today's exchange rates, and then there are 3 other more expensive versions.

I can only present the data that is publicly available - since this is the only information I have access to, like everyone else.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #432 of 634

Well, even if price is not an issue, for a lot of people reason is one. Like why, with everything else they need/desire, should they spend crazy amounts on audio.

Jan steps in with products that are not cheap, but perform at levels way above their pricing... So it would seem you have the best of both, a reasonable choice, and a great performer too.

Why neptius seems bent on ruining your apparent, and very valid love for your Meier stack I know not...

Continue to enjoy the combo! I know I am enjoying my concerto thoroughly!
Quote:
That's for sure if price is not an issue. But bearing in mind that I have surpassed the limits of what my familys financial capabilities will allow me to pour into this hobby, I feel that this investment will bring me as far as I can go soundwise - which is VERY far from my point of view. This is including everything I have owned (now sold) and listened to at meets during the last 5 years. This is including starting (and selling) the Danish headphone shop www.headaudio.dk and looking at the market for amplifiers, dac's and headphones for a loong time I am really happy with my Concerto. In fact I feel it is the best investment in Head-fi gear I have done so far. I am sure the StageDac and HD800 / T1 is close to the best I have heard yet. 

So if there are better solutions - they have to be cheaper AND better - or else they are not in my scope at all. (Read: Forget about Casea amps!!)

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #433 of 634

[size=medium]
Meanwhile back at the Stagedac and not the Casea thread...............

I have been burning in the Stagedac & Concerto using an HD800 with an ALAC based Ipod into an iTransport and am really enjoying the combination. I listened to the Wall by Pink Floyd again (like another person who posted in this or the Concerto thread this is an album I know well) and was blown away by the tightness of the bass and overall sound of the combination. Music is a very personal thing but all I can tell you is that this is a fantastic combination and for the price matches some of the high end speaker/component set ups I have heard. 

What really counts for me is looking forward to listening (or was that rediscovering?) your music and getting that grin on your face when it all comes together...... The stagedac & concerto combination is certainly doing that for me!

[/size]

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #434 of 634
So what settings are you running your StageDACs in when using the HD800 to listen to instrumental music?
I've been trying out mostly the "standard DAC" setting on the 2 left switches (down & down) while playing around a bit with the cross feed, mainly comparing crossfeed off  vs crossfeed in the "middle & middle" setting.
Any thoughts and suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back