Meier Audio StageDAC
Nov 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #256 of 634
i really would have liked a dac with 2 sets of fixed outputs. so that when i get a tube amp , to complement my solo, i dont have to keep cable swapping.
if i use rca splitters, will this degrade the quality at all?

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #257 of 634
argentum
would you say the stagedac is a huge improvement over the v-dac, or are the improvements subtle?

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #258 of 634
I would say that these improvements are more subtle than dramatic. I remember reading dukjas opinion ( his comparison was between V-DAC, Stello and PS Audio digital Link III) that V-DAC is in performance wise about on the level of 90 percent of his better sources.
V-DAC is quite nice source for the money and I quite agree with him. I've had V-DAC for a little less than a year and have spent countless pleasant hours with it. Remember - in this hobby you often pay considerable amounts of money for the last 5 or so percent difference. Then again StageDAc has better power solution, multiple filters to play with and crossfeed. I'm very happy with my StageDAC and I remember Jan posted somewhere that it takes about 200 hours to settle down. I don't have that many hours on my unit yet, but like I said I'm satisfied already.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #259 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that these improvements are more subtle than dramatic. I remember reading dukjas opinion ( his comparison was between V-DAC, Stello and PS Audio digital Link III) that V-DAC is in performance wise about on the level of 90 percent of his better sources.
V-DAC is quite nice source for the money and I quite agree with him. I've had V-DAC for a little less than a year and have spent countless pleasant hours with it. Remember - in this hobby you often pay considerable amounts of money for the last 5 or so percent difference. Then again StageDAc has better power solution, multiple filters to play with and crossfeed. I'm very happy with my StageDAC and I remember Jan posted somewhere that it takes about 200 hours to settle down. I don't have that many hours on my unit yet, but like I said I'm satisfied already.

part of me is wanting the stagedac (or other), the sensible part says "stick with the v-dac"
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #260 of 634
@ Leonardo:

First of all, thanks for the review, very interesting, helpful and well written.

I have a question for you:

Is it the first crossfeed you try?
I can't make up my mind between this stageDAC and the SPL 2control.

I must tell you that even if I also (like you) have the REAL event as a standard, I like linear, loyal, realistic gear. (such as for example digital supports, solid state amps and AKGs...
biggrin.gif
)

I'm looking for a crossfeeded amp but I'm feared the effect will be unrealistic.

How does this crossfeed sound with your Graham Sleeve and AKGs? Do they make you "feel" something wrong or not?

Could you explain me this thing of the "delay" effect?
confused_face(1).gif

Thank you very much for your time

Edoardo

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #261 of 634
from what i have read "grace" use the Meier crossfeed circuit.
so it must be good!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Leonardo:

First of all, thanks for the review, very interesting, helpful and well written.

I must tell you that even if I also (like you) have the REAL event as a standard, I like linear, loyal, realistic gear. (such as for example digital supports, solid state amps and AKGs...
biggrin.gif
)

I'm looking for a crossfeeded amp but I'm feared the effect will be unrealistic.

How does this crossfeed sound with your Graham Sleeve and AKGs? Do they make you "feel" something wrong or not?

confused_face(1).gif

Edoardo

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #262 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Leonardo:

biggrin.gif
)

confused_face(1).gif

Edoardo

Dear Edoardo, answering your questions:

1. This is the first hardware implementation of crossfeed that I have ever tried. With my computer I have listened to few crossfeed solutions. Even iTunes has a implementation of crossfeed. Apple just has to give a "cool" name to everything: it is called "sound enhancer". It is a crosfeed filter with some loudness equalization added in the mix so they can keep "the secret Apple formula". Have a go in iTunes and try, for instance, "Norwegian Wood" from the Beatles. You will understand what the crossfeed does in a second (iTunes->edit->preferences->playback tab ->sound enhancer).

2. The crossfeed effect do improve the imaging and, far from being unrealistic, actually "mends" the spatial separation in the mixing of badly produced recordings. It does not "add" as such anything to the "cocktail" short to speak, it just "sakes it better".

3. The combination of the Stagedac with the GS and AKG is very lineal but too clinical for my taste. Without valves, it would make a perfect set up for studio monitoring. I must admit that even when my AKG are excellent, they are too precise and a little bit unexciting for me. They are great for string quatets and piano (horses for courses).

4. The delay effect in the Stagedac, as I explained in the second part of my review, suppose to mimic the effect that the angle of your speakers have in the listener. As I commented in one of my posts, it was very difficult for me to notice any change with music, but the effect was very apparent in mono recordings when the balance was moved totally to the right or left (as indicated in the manual). I do not think people will notice very much with the delay option, to be honest. For better information, I recommend you to download the manual from the website and read Jan's own words.

I hope that helped.
o2smile.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #263 of 634
Dear all, as promised, here you have a brief comparison between:

1.The Beresford TC-7520 DAC with original op-amps and the linear PSU using the built-in headphone output.
2.The Meier Stagedac coupled with the GS Solo and linear PSU (connected through Crystal Cable Piccolo).

Let me start saying that this is not a fair contest. It is like comparing an Volkswagen golf 1.6l with an Audi A3 3.2l: they are both good cars but do not cost the same nor deliver the same thrill (I have driven both, by the way so I know how it feels). In a nutshell, the Beresford is like a nice family car: takes you where you want to go with no problems but not much fun. The combo Stagedac/Graham Slee is like the A3 3.2l: it makes you smile all the way through the journey and you can push it to fly (and leave behind the irritating white vans).

Down to business: both were connected through optical Fisual cable to my Sony SACD. For the comparison I used the HD650 with Silver Dragon cable for the listening. I also used the Grados GS1000i which only accentuated the differences I heard with the HD650. The Stagedac had the crossfeed disconnected and it was in position 3:1 (top filter with x8 oversampling).

First tune was Rodrigo y Gabriela version of Metallicas' Orion from their 2006 album. This is an audiophile grade CD, with both guitars very well recorded and with very natural acoustics. The Beresford sounded very good and smooth, but a lot of detail was missing. The woodiness of the guitars and the decay of the notes wasn't quite right. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice sound, but it sounded as you expect a good CD to sound rather than how you expect two guitars to sound. I connected the Stagedac/GS and played the same track. Well, totally different experience altogether: the separation between the guitars was better, the sparkle in the strings was there and I had more detail I could possibly care for. It was incredibly clean, fast and accurate. No possible comparison here, the combo was playing in the Premier the Leage and the Beresford just in the First. I din't consider to compare in more depth because the difference was so big that it made no point. I listened also to some songs from Buena Vista Social Club “At Carnegie Hall” and the same effect: clarity, detail, pace, tone, everything was in a different level of quality, almost real (the Buena Vista Social Club band came to tour Scotland as part of their UK tour three weeks ago and I was fortunate enough to go to their concert in Aberdeen. What an experience! Even without Ibrahin Ferrer, Compay Segundo and Eliades Ochoa this group just put an smile in your face. If they go near your city, do not miss it).
I know this review is not as detailed as my previous ones but, honestly, it's like comparing ugly Betty with Scarlett Johansson, you do not know where to start because you cannot take your eyes off Scarlett. Saying that, the Bereford is a great DAC/Headamp for the price and it is giving me hours of pleasure when I'm with my PC. No complaints at all, it is just not good enough for serious listening sessions. By the way, I tried also the USB input on both and the differences where also clear there. One thing worth noting is that the Beresford do not seem to suffer from jitter through the USB (nor does the Stagedac) and that is a hell of a feat for the price.
That is my opinion for what is worth.
Yours

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #264 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_BVB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...honestly, it's like comparing ugly Betty with Scarlett Johjansson, you do not know where to start because you cannot take your eyes off Scarlett...

That made me spit my drink all over my lap, ROFLMAO! I'll have to use that sometime myself, great!

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #265 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That made me spit my drink all over my lap, ROFLMAO! I'll have to use that sometime myself, great!

Fell free to use it, I have not put a copyright on it!
darthsmile.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #267 of 634
Anyone comment on the differences between the Meier StageDAC and the Lavry DA11?

The Lavry PIC operates in the digital domain while the Meier crossfeed operates on the analog signal, yes? Any subjective comparisons?

Overall comparisons between the two DACs?

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #268 of 634
will 6moons ever do a review?

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #269 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_BVB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fell free to use it, I have not put a copyright on it!
darthsmile.gif

I changed the quote in my sig line for the first time in like 2 years...

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #270 of 634
How is this as a pre-amp? I see it has two pre-outs, one fixed and one variable. I need two variable outputs (one for amp, one for sub).

I don't imagine it would be that hard to open this up, unhook the fixed outputs and solder a connection from the variable over to the fixed, thus having two variable outputs. Any comments on that? Particularly from someone who's seen the inside of this unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back