Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII Followup!
Jan 13, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #122 of 242
I know it's a little late to be asking this but what is the difference between the basic mini-mini connector cable that is included with this amp buy, and the Oehlbach manufactured cable normally included with the amp?

Also, is the 120 ohm adapter normally included when you buy the amp from Meier Audio. How does this work exactly, and with what phones?

What would the price of these cables be if purchased separately?

Thanks for the patience with the noob...

Jan 13, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #123 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
They're in transit from Germany to the U.S. After they arrive, I'll have them packed up and shipped.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/announcement.php?f=15

Scroll down.

I'll post in this thread when they arrive.

Thank you! I am sure you can understand that we are interested in the status of our orders. Even if it is delayed, at least we know what is going on. Not knowing is the real problem.

But this sounds like good news! Please keep us posted.
Now I can stop beating my wife!
k1000smile.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #124 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by DScott
I know it's a little late to be asking this but what is the difference between the basic mini-mini connector cable that is included with this amp buy, and the Oehlbach manufactured cable normally included with the amp?

Functionally, there is no difference between this cable and any other mini-mini cable. The difference between any two cables is in the build quality. This includes the type of wire, shielding, insulation, type of connectors and overall construction. The differences between cables is really small so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a Zu Pivot cable and in my opinion this is overkill for a portable source.

Quote:

Also, is the 120 ohm adapter normally included when you buy the amp from Meier Audio. How does this work exactly, and with what phones?

I don't pretend to understand the physics behind it, but most headphone amps have an output of 0 ohms. The Meier amps, with the exception of the Porta Corda, have both a O ohm jack and a 120 Ohm jack. Because of the Porta Corda's size Dr. Meier includes an adapter instead, which has the same effect. Some headphones, Beyers in particular, sound better with more resistance. Most headphones are fine without the added resistance.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #127 of 242
Has anyone used the a dremmel to cut a little opening for the powercord to come out of the battery cover while using a wallwart ? If so please tell where you made the cut perhaps a picture.Also anyone concerned about soldering the plug on there is pretty much nothing to it. Just remember white stripe = positive and goes to the pin on the plug and solid black = negitive and goes to the metal part where the wires go in .I used a solder gun maybe once before and it took all but 5 mins to do it.Maybe it's in my head but seems that running the amp in class A mode and using the power supply yeilds better overall sound.Of course if you're on the go this wont help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #128 of 242
OK..last word we had was January 12..That being 7 days ago I don't feel too bad about inquiring again.

I would expect that they would have at least arrived in the US by now? How about an update?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #129 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmaxim
OK..last word we had was January 12..That being 7 days ago I don't feel too bad about inquiring again.

I would expect that they would have at least arrived in the US by now? How about an update?

Thanks!

There were not yet in as of yesterday. I check every day.

As for Europe, they may not go out from Peter's until this weekend, as he is often unavailable during the business week.

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #130 of 242
I was out of the office all day today to attend the North American International Auto Show with my wife and baby (if I get a chance later, I'll post some photos), and just checked my voicemail -- someone from the office said there was a package to me that arrived today. I don't believe I was expecting any package to the address it was shipped to from anyone else except Meier Audio, so I'm hoping what's waiting for me tomorrow are the amps. If so, I'll start packing them up tomorrow, and plan to have them in the mail to you on Friday or Saturday.

I'll confirm tomorrow if what arrived are the amps from Germany.

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #134 of 242
Jude and Jan,

Just wanted to thank you again (wait a sec -- I'm not sure if I thanked you earlier, but anyway...).

I think my corda is about fully burned in by now. I have it in Class A operation. Now the er4p seems horribly lacking without the p-to-s converted and the corda. The corda's my first (and only) amp and I'm a newbie to most audio stuff (especially amps) and it's been an enlightening experience so far.

thanks,
marvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back