Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII Followup!
Jan 9, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #106 of 242
According to the manual, if the amp is connected to the player's headphone socket, then you should set the player's volume to 80%.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #107 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by AboveBeyond
According to the manual, if the amp is connected to the player's headphone socket, then you should set the player's volume to 80%.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that is a good rule of thumb. Basically, put the volume up on the player as loud as it will go without distorting and back it off just a little. Or turn the volume up on the player until it's about as loud as you would ever want it, then take off your headphones and give it a touch more volume.

Jan 10, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #108 of 242
I had a chance to play with my new PC mkII today with both my shure e3s and my sennheiser hd-25s (my porta phones). Paired with a iPod 4G, I found a noticeable difference: more bass, more clarity, and a broader feel (is it soundstage? I dunno, but the sound felt bigger and better). It was not a subtle difference, but not huuuuge. It was quite nice, and more than I expected to hear, and I am delighted to also have greater volume control, especially with some old CDs that I ripped and transferred to my iPod that did not sound too good without the amp -- they sound better now.

- walkman666

Jan 10, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #109 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by AboveBeyond
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I couldn't get the page of the manual that this information was on to download either, but I was able to get it from the link above. 80% was about where my experiments had suggested it should be anyway.

BTW, this unit was definitely worth the money. I agree with walkman's comments. More base, a fuller sound all around, more clarity. Can't believe a portable setup can sound this good.

Jan 10, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #110 of 242
My source is just my old 2nd gen iPod and my powerbook. I understand the 4th gen is an improvement insoudn quality, not to mention the line-out would be a much better option, but anyway...

ER4P + 4P-to-4S converter: It made this combination listenable (which is really why I bought the Porta Corda in the first place)

Grado SR-60: I liked the amp with this headphone. The sound seemed tighter and refined.

KSC-35: I didn't hear much of a difference.

- I generally didn't like crossfeed. For some songs it didn't make much of a difference. For some songs there were subtle differences. And for others, it seems to suck the air out of my ears. I'm not one of those people who get headaches without crossfeed, so I find no use for the feature.

- I also set the Corda to Class A operation

- Maybe my old iPod really sucks as well. I get better sound off the soundcard of my powerbook also.

That much said, I'm not a real audiophile and I don't have really good sources or a generally ok home set-up, but I'm happy with the purchase. Maybe I'll build a modest home set-up when I get the time and that should make the amp more useful.

But for walking around the city, I'm perfectly fine with just the Ety ER4P plus the iPod. Bringing any amp kinda defeats the the purpose of owning a portable.

Regards,
Marvin

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #111 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
KSC-35: I didn't hear much of a difference.

i am really surprised by that as these babies really benefits with a nice amp. It really improved for me when coupled with the PC mk1.

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #113 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
i am really surprised by that as these babies really benefits with a nice amp. It really improved for me when coupled with the PC mk1.

Really? I better try to listen again. I also use the 4S-to-4P adapter on the KSC-35. Maybe my source is just inferior...

Regards,
Marvin

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #114 of 242
....THE REVIEW CONTINUES

Well -I have had the amp running non-stop basically - over 100 hours logged on it so far and I am now on my third 9 volt battery. Compared to my old review here is what has changed:
- THe amp is no longer too bright!
- Have been listening to my iPOD 4G and sound really improves.
- Very subtle on the crossfeed with very little or none at all affecting new recordings but sometimes showing a drastic effect with the older recordings.

In short - I am happy with it. I have found it to be a rather neutral amp with my Grado-RS1's and a big help with my sony's. Bass is relatively tighter and the highs are crisp and solid. The only thing which bugs me is that the crossfeed is not what I was expecting but as mentioned earlier it is rather subtle and you really have to listen to catch the difference in new recordings. Most notable difference is the lack of strong bass I get without the crossfeed.

All in all, this is a very nice little amp and I am happy to have it. Full review to follow soon.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #115 of 242
taoster -- you're right. The KSC-35 sounds more refined with the amp.

With this amp, I'm now loving the ety ER4P's even more now, with or without the P-to-S converter...

Jan 12, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #116 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
taoster -- you're right. The KSC-35 sounds more refined with the amp.

cool, i remember beening astounded when i first heard the ksc35 with the PCorda, I really didn't epect the KSC35 to improve so dramatically. Of course we are still not reaching the level of, say hd580 but killer groovy when amped properly.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #118 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmaxim
Info? Pretty Please?

any news?

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #119 of 242
I'm getting curious as well. I thought I would be in the first batch (since I was number 40 on the US list), but I haven't got my amp yet, so now I'm not so sure. Maybe it got lost in the mail, maybe it is taking a very scenic route, maybe I did not make the first shipment after all. Jude has not replied to my PM. I assume he is busy, and I don't want to pester him since he is doing a big favor for his fellow head-fiers. It would be nice to know what is going on though...

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #120 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
I'm getting curious as well. I thought I would be in the first batch (since I was number 40 on the US list), but I haven't got my amp yet, so now I'm not so sure. Maybe it got lost in the mail, maybe it is taking a very scenic route, maybe I did not make the first shipment after all. Jude has not replied to my PM. I assume he is busy, and I don't want to pester him since he is doing a big favor for his fellow head-fiers. It would be nice to know what is going on though...

They're in transit from Germany to the U.S. After they arrive, I'll have them packed up and shipped.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/announcement.php?f=15

Scroll down.

I'll post in this thread when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back