MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE: Impressions and reviews thread
Jun 26, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #151 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
You guys are using cheap freebie power cables or better ones? DIY or aftermarket?

Can you tell the difference in sound quality?

I am using a decent (better than throw away) power cable, but nothing exotic at all. Very thick but still came with some power amp I no longer have, not expensive aftermarket. I don;t really own any of those, so I can't try one.

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #152 of 430
Quote:

You guys are using cheap freebie power cables or better ones? DIY or aftermarket?

Can you tell the difference in sound quality?

Right now I am, but I ordered an Irong Lung cable....They have it on sale for $19.99 I can't find the link again I think was a link on there home page for sale....

This shootout review done here might be of some helpt to ya

Also I beleive some are using a sheiled 14gauge VOLEX branded computer cable...

When I get the Iron Lung(ETA 6/28) I'll do some A/B and see if there is really any difference or not and report back....

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #153 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Right now I am, but I ordered an Irong Lung cable....

This shootout review done here might be of some helpt to ya

Also I beleive some are using a sheiled 14gauge VOLEX branded computer cable...

lol Jelly fish. Yeah I was told that those 'hospital grade' ones are better. Please share your thoughts on those power cords when you receive them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh my, that thread is a lenghty read.

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #154 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I am using a decent (better than throw away) power cable, but nothing exotic at all. Very thick but still came with some power amp I no longer have, not expensive aftermarket. I don;t really own any of those, so I can't try one.

I have some thicker ones too. Still deciding if a power cord upgrade will be worth it or not because I don't know if I'm able to tell the difference. I think the difference will not be as great as what interconnects can be.

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #155 of 430
Quote:

I have some thicker ones too. Still deciding if a power cord upgrade will be worth it or not because I don't know if I'm able to tell the difference. I think the difference will not be as great as what interconnects can be.

I dunno either...cables are kinda like voodoo it seems like...you have the ones that swear up and down there there is a difference, then you have the other camp that says Rubish a cable is a cable.

I am kind of the middle of the road...I refuse to use throw away cables (the onest that manufactures are so kind to throw in the box of your new expsensive electronics) but I can not and will not spend 100's of dollars on a cable. A) I am not Rockafeller, and B)I really think there is only so far you can upgrade a cable, the rest just seems like your paying for a name and some marketing...

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #156 of 430
I have never been much into expensive aftermarket power cables. I certainly can't see using a $250 power cable on a $250 headphone amp.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #157 of 430
Quote:

I have never been much into expensive aftermarket power cables. I certainly can't see using a $250 power cable on a $250 headphone amp.
orphsmile.gif

Neither can I, I had a hard time swallowing $19.95...If I was going to spend 250 bucks I would get a pair of Sen's red magic headphones
580smile.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #158 of 430
Quote:

Neither can I, I had a hard time swallowing $19.95...If I was going to spend 250 bucks I would get a pair of Sen's red magic headphones
580smile.gif

BINGO!

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #159 of 430
Well we are on the topic of Headfives and power, heh, How are you powering your headfive. Are you going directly to the wall, or are you using a surge prorector? I was using what i thought was a decent surge protector, then when I was unpackin I found an old Belkin SurgeMasterII gold and I remember how much it cost me so I hooked it up and moved the cheaper surge protector somewhere else....I have to say I noticed a bit more bass impact on my headfive, I didn't think a surge protector could hamper sound....

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #160 of 430
Monster Power surge protector for me.

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #161 of 430
Quote:

orphsmile.gif

I read the intro of that thread. On with the reviews section and see some of the prices.
eek.gif
Skipped the rest.
tongue.gif

IMHO, 10% of the price of the amp/source should be a guage for getting a suitable power cable.

c0mfortably_numb, a surge protector protects your equipment from electrical spikes too but that is all I know about surge protectors.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #163 of 430
Regarding the power-cabling:

I've always taken a weakest link in the chain approach to cabling....and if you update the cable...and put in a hospital-grade wall socket...what about the cheapo-wire thats inside the wall going to the breaker-box???? Video / analog / digital cables maybe, but I just don't see if for the last two feet on a power-cable.

Left-over computer cable, here I come! Lets hope my amp(s!) arrived today!

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #164 of 430
Quote:

Originally Posted by highgrovemanor
Regarding the power-cabling:

I've always taken a weakest link in the chain approach to cabling....and if you update the cable...and put in a hospital-grade wall socket...what about the cheapo-wire thats inside the wall going to the breaker-box???? Video / analog / digital cables maybe, but I just don't see if for the last two feet on a power-cable.

Left-over computer cable, here I come! Lets hope my amp(s!) arrived today!

Well the one cable I was talking about (Irong Lung) it has hospital grade ends, but as far as I can tell from the pic, its a standerd 3 prong so it will fit a regular outlet...

Jun 26, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #165 of 430
Quote:

Well we are on the topic of Headfives and power, heh, How are you powering your headfive. Are you going directly to the wall, or are you using a surge prorector? I was using what i thought was a decent surge protector, then when I was unpackin I found an old Belkin SurgeMasterII gold and I remember how much it cost me so I hooked it up and moved the cheaper surge protector somewhere else....I have to say I noticed a bit more bass impact on my headfive, I didn't think a surge protector could hamper sound....

I've got mine going through a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet and a PS Audio Power Punch cable that I picked up for $30 in the FS forums. The Ultimate Outlet did wonders for my Creek 5250SE speaker amp and helped out the Headfive too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back