Meier Arietta with HD580
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 19
I had that combo for a few weeks (well, technically it was a headfive, but same thing), and while it could be better, it sounded pretty good. Punchy bass, smooth mids, and sparkly highs. The combination lacked life on occasion, though... wasn't particularly detailed either. I liked the combo, but did not hesitate to sell the Headfive to move on to something better.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 19
I ran a HeadFive with a HD-650 for awhile. Not a bad combination, but Dr. Meier's amps like a bit of input voltage. Are you going to run it with a traditional stereo component (e.g. CD player, phono preamp) or with an iPod or other DAP? I found that my iPod didn't drive the HeadFive especially well. A CD player, DAC and phono stage, however, were much better.

And have you tried crossfeed? If you haven't, the Arietta is a great way to find whether or not you like it. If you go with one of these, give crossfeed a try. It will narrow the soundstage and soften the sound, which you might not like at first. But play a couple of albums at a time through crossfeed and you might come to enjoy it.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran a HeadFive with a HD-650 for awhile. Not a bad combination, but Dr. Meier's amps like a bit of input voltage. Are you going to run it with a traditional stereo component (e.g. CD player, phono preamp) or with an iPod or other DAP? I found that my iPod didn't drive the HeadFive especially well. A CD player, DAC and phono stage, however, were much better.

And have you tried crossfeed? If you haven't, the Arietta is a great way to find whether or not you like it. If you go with one of these, give crossfeed a try. It will narrow the soundstage and soften the sound, which you might not like at first. But play a couple of albums at a time through crossfeed and you might come to enjoy it.

Yes, it will be fed from traditional stereo component(s), Sony SACD, Entech DAC, or my Pearl Phono stage. I plan to use the tape out of my Acurus preamp to feed the headphone amp.

I've never tried crossfeed, which is one reason I'd like to try a Meier.

How does the Meier compare to the LittleDot V?

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 19
I don't think it can compete with the MKV. It's probably a bit warmer, but not as detailed with less depth and resolution.

Crossfeed is a nice feature that you really come to appreciate, it moves things more in front of you, rather than to either side.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 19
I currently own HD650 and Arietta. It's a very pleasant combo - a definite step-up compare to DAC1 USB's built-in amp. I think crossfeed is a great feature, it's why I got the Arietta. It makes headphone listening much more natural.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #10 of 19
I have the Arietta-HD580 combo.

I don't really think much of the Arietta considering it barely made a difference compared to the headphone out of an old Sony Discman (I actually preferred the sound of the Discman). I'd sell the Arietta but I need it if I'm using my cd player (840c) as a source, which is in another class compared to the Discman.

Jul 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Arietta-HD580 combo.

I don't really think much of the Arietta considering it barely made a difference compared to the headphone out of an old Sony Discman (I actually preferred the sound of the Discman). I'd sell the Arietta but I need it if I'm using my cd player (840c) as a source, which is in another class compared to the Discman.

My experience was the opposite.

As for comparing with the Gilmore Lite, here is what I wrote to someone back in January when I had both:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal
They were very similar. The meier was a bit warmer and the Gilmore was more crisp. For the money, the Arietta is a much better buy... there's definitely not a $100+ difference and you also have to consider the fact that the Arietta has crossfeed.

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 19
I had the combo in question, and at the time was only able to compare the Arietta with the built-in headphone amp in my Apogee Duet. The Duet was clearly more pleasing. I had my wife do some testing of her own with the same two amps, and she also had a definite preference for the Duet.

I have since gotten rid of both the Arietta and my HD-580, and have added a Gilmore Lite to my desktop setup. It definitely outpaces the Duet's built-in amp with all of my current headphones, but then again, I tried to buy headphones and an amp that would seem to play well together.

Neither my wife nor I were able to appreciate any benefit whatsoever to the Arietta's crossfeed, even when listening to some 1960s tracks known for extreme channel separation. All it seems to do is decrease volume by about 1 dB.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 19
I just tested out my HD580s using the analog outs of an Edirol ua1-ex to my Arietta against the headphone out of the Edirol unit.

The song was Last Goodbye- Jeff Buckley, volume matched at 65db +/- 3db.

The difference was very minimal. The only difference would be a widening of the soundstage when using the Arietta- the guitars feel slightly further away and apart.

My conclusion is that at low volumes (which is where you should be listening if you want to save your ears), don't bother with an Arietta.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 19
"Neither my wife nor I were able to appreciate any benefit whatsoever to the Arietta's crossfeed, even when listening to some 1960s tracks known for extreme channel separation. All it seems to do is decrease volume by about 1 dB." [/QUOTE]

Crossfeed isn't meant to change channel separation, I believe. It's meant to make headphone listening more natural. For accurate info on crossfeed you can visit Meier Audio website. By using the 60's rock example I think you may have misunderstood what the crossfeed design is for.
Personally, if I'm given a choice between a free RSA Apache running fully balanced v. Arietta, I'd still have to choose the Arietta because I just have to have crossfeed.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Crossfeed isn't meant to change channel separation, I believe. It's meant to make headphone listening more natural. For accurate info on crossfeed you can visit Meier Audio website. By using the 60's rock example I think you may have misunderstood what the crossfeed design is for.
Personally, if I'm given a choice between a free RSA Apache running fully balanced v. Arietta, I'd still have to choose the Arietta because I just have to have crossfeed.

or... take the free RSA Apache and make yourself a meier corda cross!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back