Meet 'Typical Headfier' Andy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #203 of 2,335

Quote:
can you teach me how to hear phase shift?

Take two one sided tracks, say two right side tracks which are exactly the same. Now put them side by side in an audio program. Listen to them just the way they are, then move one track a fraction of a second forward. You will then hear the music phase as it's playing. The word Flange also comes from placing a finger on the reel to reel tape as it was playing, similar sound effect.  

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #205 of 2,335

Quote:
Take two one sided tracks, say two right side tracks which are exactly the same. Now put them side by side in an audio program. Listen to them just the way they are, then move one track a fraction of a second forward. You will then hear the music phase as it's playing. The word Flange also comes from placing a finger on the reel to reel tape as it was playing, similar sound effect.  

Try an inversion too. That's one of those "my brain is telling me something is different... but I don't know why". I use the built in function in J.River that lets you flip the polarity of each side, and it kinda throws your ears for a loop.

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #206 of 2,335
So... who exactly is the person in the pic? is there actually a headfier named Andy?

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #208 of 2,335
er... honest question actually. I've seen the pic before, but don't know the origins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back