Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Nov 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #151 of 379
The best way to compare these headphones to the originals imo, is to have same amount of hours burnt into them, THEN blindfold yourself and put each headphone on at a time. Listen and maybe you'll hear the difference. Knowing which headphone you put on could affect your outcome. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #152 of 379
Acoustic memory is notoriously short lived and unreliable. If you can't compare side by side you probably should be cautious about making comparisons! I know first hand how significant psycho-acoustics can be.

This doesn't mean that the differences you are hearing aren't objectively there, of course. There could really be a difference between the SE and beige, or it could be due to break in to some degree or it could be just manufacturing tolerances. But to really know you'd need to perform blind A/B/X testing, or at least A/B testing.

Good to know that they are authentic!

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #153 of 379
  In response to all the posts commenting about the sonic quality differences between the beige 598 and the black special edition, I just received my SE (special edition) today, and I'm pretty sure I hear a difference.  First some history.  I bought my first 598 (beige) about a month ago from Amazon.  I loved them upon first listen.  I was especially pleasantly surprised with the decent amount of bass after reading so many reviews here and on Amazon that say they are bass light.  My only major complaint was the cable length and the silly 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter (instead of 3.5 to 6.3), which makes a connection to my iPhone 6 look ridiculous due to the size.  I was planning on buying a shorter cable, but then I saw the black friday special on Amazon for the SE for $95 with shorter cable and jumped all over it.  Even though I prefer the beige look, the SE was $45 cheaper and with 2 cables.  I had to return the beige before the SE arrived, so I couldn't do side by side comparisons of sound, but here's what I hear:

First thing I noticed is less bass on the SE.  The beige, that I put maybe 50-100 hours on before returning, was fuller and more prominent in the bass with more impact that resonated.  The next thing I noticed is that vocals on some songs were slightly hissy and ever so slightly sibilant on the SE.  I never heard even slight hissiness or sibilance on the beige 598.  As I'm listening to the SE now, they sound brighter and thinner than the beige ones I returned.  I remember the beige ones sounding warmer and fuller with slightly more relaxed upper mids and treble.  The overall sound signature is similar with similar soundstage, however.  The biggest noticeable difference is the lack of warmth and fullness in the bass and lower mids.

Regarding the comments about authenticity, I checked mine on Sennheiser's site and they checked out as authentic.

So, do you guys think that the difference I'm hearing is due to break in of the phones?  Can I expect these SE's to get fuller and warmer sounding over several hours of use?  The only issue I have with the break in possibility is that the beige never sounded like this even from day 1 from what I remember.  Also, I'm using the short cable with the SE.  Could the difference in sound be due to the different cables?  I'm going to try the long cable with adapter and see if I hear a difference.  Also, is it possible that the exact same model headphones can differ in sound due to slight manufacturing variances?

I have found that no two headphones sound exactly the same, even within the same model number. Most people don’t have multiple pairs of the same model headphone so believe they all sound the same. I’ve had ten or twelve pairs of the Senn PX 100ii which I modded for friends or sold……and I found they all had the same overall tone but each had slight differences in treble, midrange and bass.

Right now I have two modded SennGrado's (PX100 in tone-wood cup), one that has a nice mid-bass hump and another that has a more balanced frequency response. 

All that to say……they can be using the exact same driver even though you are hearing differences between the Burl wood and the black HD 598s. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #154 of 379

In response to all the posts commenting about the sonic quality differences between the beige 598 and the black special edition, I just received my SE (special edition) today, and I'm pretty sure I hear a difference.  First some history.  I bought my first 598 (beige) about a month ago from Amazon.  I loved them upon first listen.  I was especially pleasantly surprised with the decent amount of bass after reading so many reviews here and on Amazon that say they are bass light.  My only major complaint was the cable length and the silly 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter (instead of 3.5 to 6.3), which makes a connection to my iPhone 6 look ridiculous due to the size.  I was planning on buying a shorter cable, but then I saw the black friday special on Amazon for the SE for $95 with shorter cable and jumped all over it.  Even though I prefer the beige look, the SE was $45 cheaper and with 2 cables.  I had to return the beige before the SE arrived, so I couldn't do side by side comparisons of sound, but here's what I hear:

First thing I noticed is less bass on the SE.  The beige, that I put maybe 50-100 hours on before returning, was fuller and more prominent in the bass with more impact that resonated.  The next thing I noticed is that vocals on some songs were slightly hissy and ever so slightly sibilant on the SE.  I never heard even slight hissiness or sibilance on the beige 598.  As I'm listening to the SE now, they sound brighter and thinner than the beige ones I returned.  I remember the beige ones sounding warmer and fuller with slightly more relaxed upper mids and treble.  The overall sound signature is similar with similar soundstage, however.  The biggest noticeable difference is the lack of warmth and fullness in the bass and lower mids.

Regarding the comments about authenticity, I checked mine on Sennheiser's site and they checked out as authentic.

So, do you guys think that the difference I'm hearing is due to break in of the phones?  Can I expect these SE's to get fuller and warmer sounding over several hours of use?  The only issue I have with the break in possibility is that the beige never sounded like this even from day 1 from what I remember.  Also, I'm using the short cable with the SE.  Could the difference in sound be due to the different cables?  I'm going to try the long cable with adapter and see if I hear a difference.  Also, is it possible that the exact same model headphones can differ in sound due to slight manufacturing variances?

I have found that no two headphones sound exactly the same, even within the same model number. Most people don’t have multiple pairs of the same model headphone so believe they all sound the same. I’ve had ten or twelve pairs of the Senn PX 100ii which I modded for friends or sold……and I found they all had the same overall tone but each had slight differences in treble, midrange and bass.

Right now I have two modded SennGrado's (PX100 in tone-wood cup), one that has a nice mid-bass hump and another that has a more balanced frequency response. 

All that to say……they can be using the exact same driver even though you are hearing differences between the Burl wood and the black HD 598s. 

Indeed!

The fact that Grado goes to the trouble of matching transducer pairs with each other points out this variation quite prominently, I think.

Also, I once read about an experiment where people were listening to the exact same speakers for each listening session.  Not just the same make and model, but the exact same speakers in the exact same room with the exact same upstream chain and source material.  The only thing that changed was the color of the cloth covering the speaker grilles!  And yet, across all genders and age groups, there was a significant difference in the perceived sound, especially with certain colors.  And, black didn't fare that well, actually!  IIRC it came across as cold and thin.  Blue and red did better.  Yellow was harsh.  Etc.  Anyway, point is that it really is crazy what kind of subjective stuff can happen in this realm.  And in this case, maybe the brown and beige vs. the black color is having an effect!  (Maybe!  Or maybe not, since you can't see the cans when you're wearing them.)

And yet, despite stuff like this, we all make comparisons against cans we've heard before but not longer own, or never owned, etc.  I do it.  It seems necessary.  It feels reasonable.  I made a bunch of comparisons between the Grado RS2e's and the SR225e's, despite the fact that I had only auditioned the 225's in a Stereo store for 2 hours a week before.

And I still think there was something objectively true in this.  Certain parts of certain songs were physically painful on the 225's (upper treble) which didn't stand out much at all on the 2e's, and so on.  That seems to be more than just subjective.  But then, on some days our ears and hearing is different than on others, depending on how much sleep we got, whether we are hungry or not, stressed or not, happy or not, etc.  So who knows!

In any case, I will be interested to see if a consensus develops here in regards to SE vs. beige.  Unfortunately, I only own the 595's, so my comparison will be between that and the 598SE's.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #157 of 379

They sound identical. After approx. 20 hrs of burn-in. 
Identically awesome.

End of story. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #160 of 379
Yup, my friends' Sennheisers came in and both failed the authentication check. I doubt they're fake though, looking at /r/headphone's recent guide about legit checking the hd 598s, both pairs meet the criteria. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #161 of 379
Yup, my friends' Sennheisers came in and both failed the authentication check. I doubt they're fake though, looking at /r/headphone's recent guide about legit checking the hd 598s, both pairs meet the criteria. 

Is Amazon an authorized Sennheiser dealer does anyone know for sure?

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #163 of 379
At first I didn't think they sounded much different than the 518's I bought a week ago, but after swapping between them a couple times the 598's do sound clearer. The bass isn't as overpowering, so they don't sound as muddy as the 518's. But it's obvious how removing some of the interior padding of the 518's might make em sound very similar to the 598's. The difference is pretty slim soundwise. The 598's are much more comfortable however, and they sure look better.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #165 of 379
  I will! Well we have til like February to return them so. But honestly they look, sound and feel premium. They also sound better than the 518's I bought recently, and the 518's did pass authentification. I'm not too worried.

Just wondering when you did the authentication code, did you include the hologram sticker? There's an extra number to include at the end which can only be seen at an angle with the hologram sticker. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back