Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Dec 5, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #212 of 379
I'm having a dilemma with these...I love the sound and feel of them, I just didn't realize how loud they were with the open back. I read about it before buying, but just thought "oh it won't be that loud" but after trying them out I'm just not sure. I feel like I basically can't ever wear them in public or with other people around. So I am torn, keep them anyway because I love them...or return??

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #213 of 379
  Ok so i bought the black hd598 on black friday and i threw out the box. now idk how to test that. 
i talso sucks that these are my first audiophiles and my noob ears cant tell the diference between good and bad. can someone help

Do you mean you can't tell the difference in sound between the 598SE's and some other much less expensive headphones?  If that's the case, try listening to only the 598SE's for a couple of hours a day for 2-3 weeks.  Then go back to your other headphones.  If you still can't hear a difference, maybe you're just one of those people who's sense of hearing simply isn't as acute as others.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #214 of 379
  I'm having a dilemma with these...I love the sound and feel of them, I just didn't realize how loud they were with the open back. I read about it before buying, but just thought "oh it won't be that loud" but after trying them out I'm just not sure. I feel like I basically can't ever wear them in public or with other people around. So I am torn, keep them anyway because I love them...or return??

Only you can answer that question.  I guess it would depend on how much time you'll be able to spend with them in a quiet environment with no one else around.  I think most of the reviews were clear that these are not optimal for public use.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #215 of 379

Only you can answer that question.  I guess it would depend on how much time you'll be able to spend with them in a quiet environment with no one else around.  I think most of the reviews were clear that these are not optimal for public use.

Yeah no doubt, this one is totally on me. I guess I was just hoping it wouldn't be that bad. I may hang on to them because they just sound that good. But not sure yet.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #217 of 379
Just got a set of these to replace an Ivory set.  They passed the validation at the Sennheiser website.  These are my favorite phones, so glad they were released in black.

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #218 of 379
Will the HD 598SE eventually replace the beige HD 598, or will both models continue to be offered indefinitely?  If the beige HD 598 is being discontinued, how long before that will happen?

A couple of days ago, I checked Crutchfield and their site stated that the HD 598 was "discontinued by manufacturer."  Now their site says "no longer available."

Could you please shed some light on Sennheiser's plans for this model?

X2 please

Actully i like the beige one more. Not only does that colour makes it more unique but it also matches the sound (lush and easy going).... The black ones have a more rocl n roller look and these do not have a headbanging sound at all... :)

I only wish the beige ones brought the smaller cable as well...

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #220 of 379
  In response to all the posts commenting about the sonic quality differences between the beige 598 and the black special edition, I just received my SE (special edition) today, and I'm pretty sure I hear a difference.  First some history.  I bought my first 598 (beige) about a month ago from Amazon.  I loved them upon first listen.  I was especially pleasantly surprised with the decent amount of bass after reading so many reviews here and on Amazon that say they are bass light.  My only major complaint was the cable length and the silly 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter (instead of 3.5 to 6.3), which makes a connection to my iPhone 6 look ridiculous due to the size.  I was planning on buying a shorter cable, but then I saw the black friday special on Amazon for the SE for $95 with shorter cable and jumped all over it.  Even though I prefer the beige look, the SE was $45 cheaper and with 2 cables.  I had to return the beige before the SE arrived, so I couldn't do side by side comparisons of sound, but here's what I hear:

First thing I noticed is less bass on the SE.  The beige, that I put maybe 50-100 hours on before returning, was fuller and more prominent in the bass with more impact that resonated.  The next thing I noticed is that vocals on some songs were slightly hissy and ever so slightly sibilant on the SE.  I never heard even slight hissiness or sibilance on the beige 598.  As I'm listening to the SE now, they sound brighter and thinner than the beige ones I returned.  I remember the beige ones sounding warmer and fuller with slightly more relaxed upper mids and treble.  The overall sound signature is similar with similar soundstage, however.  The biggest noticeable difference is the lack of warmth and fullness in the bass and lower mids.

Regarding the comments about authenticity, I checked mine on Sennheiser's site and they checked out as authentic.

So, do you guys think that the difference I'm hearing is due to break in of the phones?  Can I expect these SE's to get fuller and warmer sounding over several hours of use?  The only issue I have with the break in possibility is that the beige never sounded like this even from day 1 from what I remember.  Also, I'm using the short cable with the SE.  Could the difference in sound be due to the different cables?  I'm going to try the long cable with adapter and see if I hear a difference.  Also, is it possible that the exact same model headphones can differ in sound due to slight manufacturing variances?

Hello all,
Joined the group just to comment on these headphones that I also bought on Amazon (Black Friday). I've been reading and following this group for the past 10 months to check impressions and user reviews on headphones. I'm usually a reader and not a writer but this time I'm also giving my impressions hoping they will help others.

Let me start by saying that I'm quoting "LazyListener" because I did a similar thing... and have a similar impression!
6 months ago I bought the beige version (also on Amazon) that I was stupid enough to return and replace by the ATH-M50X's. I regretted that... even if I actually also like the ATH-M50X's (which i kept). I return them because in some songs the bass was too aggressive for what the headphones could stand (basically i was forcing the bass on the amp i tested) and the large cable was annoying (i could have bought the short cable) and at the time i did not had a amp (and these audiophile headphones do need a good amp/source to shine).

Conclusions:
- The Beige ones had more bass, the sound was brighter, the mid's sounded more or less similar and I the sound-stage was better (better separation).
- The Black ones sound muffled. Less bass/soundstage. I can't explain very well since I'm not a true audiophile (only bough my first pair of expensive headphones 6 months ago). I've already listened to many types of music since i bought them (rock, blues, pop, etc...) and yesterday I saw a movie with them. I cannot say that they are bad because they are not bad but they are worst than the Beige ones (my opinion).

I'm also not very sure but i think that the beige ones i bought 6 months ago were manufactured in Germany (or in some other European country) and these are made in China. If somebody that bought these headphones (more than 6 months ago since maybe now they are all manufactured in China) can confirm or deny? Maybe its just my impression just to find an excuse for the sound difference/quality since different manufacturing places may create different products.

Even if Sennheiser says they are the same they don't sound like they are.
I've made the authenticity test on Sennheiser's page and they are authentic.

Also (like "LazyListener" was saying) the only way to really confirm and check audio difference would be to do a frequency response measure (of both or only the black one since there are already some for the beige ones)?

Note: I don't believe in burn-in. I do believe in your brain/ears getting used to the headphones sound. I did more than 150 hours burn in on the Beige Sennheiser I bought and the sound remained the same compared to the moment I bought them. The black ones still don't have more than 10 hours of use.

Cheers.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #221 of 379
After I have used the black 598SE for a week, I would say definitely it's not as good as the beige one! The highs for some of the songs are a bit hissy, the SQ is not as good as what I expected just like the Beige one. And these are made in China often means it's production cost is cheaper, which means quality is not guaranteed.  No wonder they can sell it at such low cost. Shame on Sennheiser. I am returning mine.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #222 of 379
After I have used the black 598SE for a week, I would say definitely it's not as good as the beige one! The highs for some of the songs are a bit hissy, the SQ is not as good as what I expected just like the Beige one. And these are made in China often means it's production cost is cheaper, which means quality is not guaranteed.  No wonder they can sell it at such low cost. Shame on Sennheiser. I am returning mine.

Is it that bad? Wich had more and better bass? Mids?

The new ones are made in china? Where were the Beige made?

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #224 of 379
OK. I was investigating and it seems (not sure) the Beige ones are also made in China. But only confirming on the box of the Beige version (i didn't found any pictures of the box where it says "Made in...").

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #225 of 379

Hello all,
Joined the group just to comment on these headphones that I also bought on Amazon (Black Friday). I've been reading and following this group for the past 10 months to check impressions and user reviews on headphones. I'm usually a reader and not a writer but this time I'm also giving my impressions hoping they will help others.

Let me start by saying that I'm quoting "LazyListener" because I did a similar thing... and have a similar impression!
6 months ago I bought the beige version (also on Amazon) that I was stupid enough to return and replace by the ATH-M50X's. I regretted that... even if I actually also like the ATH-M50X's (which i kept). I return them because in some songs the bass was too aggressive for what the headphones could stand (basically i was forcing the bass on the amp i tested) and the large cable was annoying (i could have bought the short cable) and at the time i did not had a amp (and these audiophile headphones do need a good amp/source to shine).

Conclusions:
- The Beige ones had more bass, the sound was brighter, the mid's sounded more or less similar and I the sound-stage was better (better separation).
- The Black ones sound muffled. Less bass/soundstage. I can't explain very well since I'm not a true audiophile (only bough my first pair of expensive headphones 6 months ago). I've already listened to many types of music since i bought them (rock, blues, pop, etc...) and yesterday I saw a movie with them. I cannot say that they are bad because they are not bad but they are worst than the Beige ones (my opinion).

I'm also not very sure but i think that the beige ones i bought 6 months ago were manufactured in Germany (or in some other European country) and these are made in China. If somebody that bought these headphones (more than 6 months ago since maybe now they are all manufactured in China) can confirm or deny? Maybe its just my impression just to find an excuse for the sound difference/quality since different manufacturing places may create different products.

Even if Sennheiser says they are the same they don't sound like they are.
I've made the authenticity test on Sennheiser's page and they are authentic.

Also (like "LazyListener" was saying) the only way to really confirm and check audio difference would be to do a frequency response measure (of both or only the black one since there are already some for the beige ones)?

Note: I don't believe in burn-in. I do believe in your brain/ears getting used to the headphones sound. I did more than 150 hours burn in on the Beige Sennheiser I bought and the sound remained the same compared to the moment I bought them. The black ones still don't have more than 10 hours of use.

Cheers.

Thanks for sharing your experience here.  I'm kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the black SEs don't sound as good as the beige 598s.  I don't think the beige ones I had were made in Germany.  I think it was China, just like the SEs.

I couldn't really stand not getting the same aural bliss from the SEs that I got from the beige ones, so I ordered another beige pair last week.  They arrived this weekend, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.  I will be sure to do some listening this week and I'll give my feedback here.  I really hope they sound as good as the first beige pair I had.  BTW, the box of the new beige 598 says made in China.

Regarding burn in, I used to not believe in it either, until recently.  I read Tyll's comparisons of the Q701 on innerfidelity.com, both listening and measured FR, and it seems there may be something to burn in that is more than just listener getting used to the sound.  I have about 15-20 hours on the SEs now, and I think the bass has improved and the sibilance/hissiness I heard on some songs has leveled off a bit, but they still don't sound as good as the beige ones I had previously.  Those sounded superb out of the box and I never complained of weak bass or sibilance/hissiness with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back