Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
Apr 23, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #93 of 792
Hey folks,

Advanced MP3 Players have the M7 in black available to pre-order if you reside in the UK/EU. £154.99. We don't have an ETA yet, as I believe FiiO are looking to try the model out exclusively in the Chinese market for a little while before shipping to international customers.

https://www.advancedmp3players.co.u...Player_with_Bluetooth_and_FM_Radio.15232.html
That's a bit better than £180. As this is the replacement for the M3, does it make it Fiio's entry level dap? I know there is the X1, which I have, but the M7 does have a better spec albeit lower o/p power.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #94 of 792
Have you considered the Hiby R3 and other DAPs in this price range? I'm curious to know what features users are comparing between the M7 and other devices. Cheers!
Yes, I have. As I remember, it's Android, correct? That could be a better option. I even considered the R6 but that's a lot more expensive. Maybe one day.

Reading through the responses, I'd like to point out that one VERY IMPORTANT factor for me is Fiio's great support. They listen to the community; they are easily reachable and even has live chat on their website; they are responsive via email; their authorized sellers worldwide seem to have that same customer-oriented culture and I like that. I have the A3; I have the K1; I had the X1 1st gen; I had the E12 and they never failed to answer my inquiries on time. Their website is easy-to-use and organized; where firmware updates can be easily downloaded per product; where you can easily view product features and available accessories; where news and updates are updated almost real-time. I cannot say the same, visiting other manufacturer's websites. It's easy to look past these if you're only considering price vs features but all their products have been designed for flexibility and convenience up to this point. And they always sounded great, at least to my ears.

Am I a fanboy? I'm a fan but not a fanboy that do not realize their mistakes. They seem to had a lot to address on the X1ii firmware. But bottom line is they addressed it, to the best of their abilities. And they listened, they always did. They'll always have margins for error and areas for improvement but they always listened.

Will I buy the R3 over the M7? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on when I can audition them both side by side. I'm also thinking about just getting an A5 or Q5 because I love the convenience of my phone and it has a decent enough DAC (Wolfson WM8281). Let's face it, touchscreen is the way to go now, Android or not. We're not going back to the X Series type of navigation. Fiio is realizing that and trying to provide us something different, if not an evolution. Maybe they'd give us a direct competitor to the R3, if not this one, so let's see how they evolve yet once again. :)

Bottom line - customer support. That gets it done for me. Not buying from anyone else where I'll have headaches trying to even find a simple firmware update, etc. Hiby seems to have the same great support so we'll see.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #95 of 792
Yes, I have. As I remember, it's Android, correct? That could be a better option. I even considered the R6 but that's a lot more expensive. Maybe one day.

Reading through the responses, I'd like to point out that one VERY IMPORTANT factor for me is Fiio's great support. They listen to the community; they are easily reachable and even has live chat on their website; they are responsive via email; their authorized sellers worldwide seem to have that same customer-oriented culture and I like that. I have the A3; I have the K1; I had the X1 1st gen; I had the E12 and they never failed to answer my inquiries on time. Their website is easy-to-use and organized; where firmware updates can be easily downloaded per product; where you can easily view product features and available accessories; where news and updates are updated almost real-time. I cannot say the same, visiting other manufacturer's websites. It's easy to look past these if you're only considering price vs features but all their products have been designed for flexibility and convenience up to this point. And they always sounded great, at least to my ears.

Am I a fanboy? I'm a fan but not a fanboy that do not realize their mistakes. They seem to had a lot to address on the X1ii firmware. But bottom line is they addressed it, to the best of their abilities. And they listened, they always did. They'll always have margins for error and areas for improvement but they always listened.

Will I buy the R3 over the M7? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on when I can audition them both side by side. I'm also thinking about just getting an A5 or Q5 because I love the convenience of my phone and it has a decent enough DAC (Wolfson WM8281). Let's face it, touchscreen is the way to go now, Android or not. We're not going back to the X Series type of navigation. Fiio is realizing that and trying to provide us something different, if not an evolution. Maybe they'd give us a direct competitor to the R3, if not this one, so let's see how they evolve yet once again. :)

Bottom line - customer support. That gets it done for me. Not buying from anyone else where I'll have headaches trying to even find a simple firmware update, etc. Hiby seems to have the same great support so we'll see.
R3 is not android.
Bottom line for me is that no amount of customer support can compensate for a bad product. It could either be the sound or the UI or a mix of both maladies. I am not talking about the M7 in particular but in a more general sense.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #96 of 792

When I consider buying DAPs, 90% of my concern is on sound quality so unless the software really is glaringly bad, I'll always get the best sounding one in the price range.

A good example I like to use is the Xduoo X3. It had a playback rate error where it played 44.1khz tracks a bit slower (at 99.6% rate or something). Contacting Xduoo yeilded no reply, and no firmware fix was ever released. But damn, it sounded really really good for the price. I'd say it has 85% of the Opus 1's sound at just 100 bucks. Good enough for people to make an effort to port rockbox over to it just to resolve the playback rate issue apparently.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #97 of 792
When I consider buying DAPs, 90% of my concern is on sound quality so unless the software really is glaringly bad, I'll always get the best sounding one in the price range.

A good example I like to use is the Xduoo X3. It had a playback rate error where it played 44.1khz tracks a bit slower (at 99.6% rate or something). Contacting Xduoo yeilded no reply, and no firmware fix was ever released. But damn, it sounded really really good for the price. I'd say it has 85% of the Opus 1's sound at just 100 bucks. Good enough for people to make an effort to port rockbox over to it just to resolve the playback rate issue apparently.
I know what you mean

upload_2018-4-24_8-38-25.png

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #98 of 792
I know what you mean

Never had a chance to try it out sadly. I do like having a lot of songs available so I can immediately listen to what I fancy so maybe the alien won't be my cup of tea.

The alien + looks promising though :D

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #99 of 792
Bottom line for me is that no amount of customer support can compensate for a bad product. It could either be the sound or the UI or a mix of both maladies.
Who needs customer support if both sound and firmware are perfect right out of the gate.

Sadly only The Bit and Astell&Kern are able to do that so far

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #100 of 792
Who needs customer support if both sound and firmware are perfect right out of the gate.

Sadly only The Bit and Astell&Kern are able to do that so far
And Sony

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #102 of 792
Software wise yes but sound is mostly sub-par for the price.
I agree albeit i was talking about Zx and Wm series. Btw sub par compared to what if i may ask? and are you talking about the A35/45?

EDIT: Sorry to hijack this thread. Apologies

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #103 of 792
That's a bit better than £180. As this is the replacement for the M3, does it make it Fiio's entry level dap? I know there is the X1, which I have, but the M7 does have a better spec albeit lower o/p power.

Sorry for the late reply! I think with the model being titled the M7 implies it is part of that range often associated with their entry level products, but I'd argue that the X1ii would be the entry point to the FiiO DAP range now, given the price and specs.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #104 of 792
Sorry for the late reply! I think with the model being titled the M7 implies it is part of that range often associated with their entry level products, but I'd argue that the X1ii would be the entry point to the FiiO DAP range now, given the price and specs.
Personally, I'd like to think of the M and X to be separate lineups that aren't supposed to be compared to each other.

M series for more battery life and X series for more output power?

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #105 of 792
Personally, I'd like to think of the M and X to be separate lineups that aren't supposed to be compared to each other.

M series for more battery life and X series for more output power?
I believe FiiO wrote, when the M3 came out, that M is "consumer line" whereas X is "audiophile line" or "enthusiast line".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back