Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #346 of 792
I managed to get 16 hours and 37 minutes when I tested it. This was with a bunch of 96kHz/24-bit files, and Pinnacle P1 as the load on volume 39/60 (the closest volume-match to all other devices I've tested).

Regarding point 5, there is a key-lock option within the device settings that'll allow you to disable them when the screen is off
Yeah, I have the buttons disable when screen is off. I'm just use to having a hold button that I can flick for switch if needed. Thats something I can live with, battery life is a bit of a hassle since I'd have to recharge every 3rd/4th day while the walkman lasts me more 2.5 times that between charges.Beyond the software stability, some things are just personally preferences.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #348 of 792
Great review! Still keeps me doubting between, Sony nw-45, Cayin n3, fiio X3 and the M7. I have tested the Shanling m3s, I found it too laid back and boring. I think I need a bit of an dynamic player. Also I have a fiio A5 on order, will this be powerfully enough to drive my DT770 32 and 80 ohm cans? Again, this is a great review, thank you!

Dennis.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #349 of 792
Also I have a fiio A5 on order, will this be powerfully enough to drive my DT770 32 and 80 ohm cans?

The A5 will put 800 mW into 32 ohm and 150 mW into 300 ohms. It could easily drive a 600 ohm Beyer T1 - your 770s won't have any issues.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #350 of 792
Thanks, just received the A5, just been test driving it with my old Zune hd 120 on the headphones out, pretty amazing, for my understanding does a dedicated line out give the same or less power to feed the amp?

Dennis.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #351 of 792
Thanks, just received the A5, just been test driving it with my old Zune hd 120 on the headphones out, pretty amazing, for my understanding does a dedicated line out give the same or less power to feed the amp?

Dennis.

Line-out will give you fixed voltage, low current, and usually very clean (low noise) - its basically designed to be paired with an amp. If you attach the amp to the headphone out instead - you are essentially double amping. This can still sound pretty good if you have a device with a very low noise floor - but generally speaking the line-out should be cleaner.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #352 of 792
Hello everybody,

Currently I have a Fiio X1 (1st gen) and in the past I have had a Philips Gogear Muse.
I am looking for a new DAP that has Bluetooth for about $120 - $200.
I like physical buttons and wheels and dislike touchscreens (trauma from the Gogear muse).

Should I go for the:
  1. Hidizs AP60 II
  2. Hidizs AP60 Pro
  3. Fiio X1 (2nd gen)
  4. AGPTEK H3
  5. Something else?

The A5 will put 800 mW into 32 ohm and 150 mW into 300 ohms. It could easily drive a 600 ohm Beyer T1 - your 770s won't have any issues.

Line-out will give you fixed voltage, low current, and usually very clean (low noise) - its basically designed to be paired with an amp. If you attach the amp to the headphone out instead - you are essentially double amping. This can still sound pretty good if you have a device with a very low noise floor - but generally speaking the line-out should be cleaner.

Forgive me my ignorance...is there a universal standard for line outs? I have just connected the A5 to the line out of my old Sony Hifi cd player, in low gain I have more than plenty volume and a very nice sound. Will fix the line out of the M7 give the same voltage to the a5?

Thanks,

Dennis.

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #353 of 792
No - there is no universal standard. Best advice is to try it and see what you think. FiiO have been very good in the past with their line out implementations.

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #354 of 792
No - there is no universal standard. Best advice is to try it and see what you think. FiiO have been very good in the past with their line out implementations.

Ok, thanks, will give the M7 a try.

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #355 of 792
I'm quite curious about how the 20hr playback time is calculated against. I got ~15 hours running through 320 kbps MP3 files.

I quite like the sound especially when paired with my Spartan IVs, but I'm shelving this until some more firmware updates coming down the line in favour of the Sony A45 for a couple reasons:
1. The battery life doesn't seem to be indicative of playing MP3 > 128 kbps, I get 15 as stated above as opposed to the 37-40~ on the A45
2. When the Music App crashes, it requires a full reboot to work again and it's simply not clear that the app crashed as opposed to you having swiped back to the main menu
3. The volume limit option does not work, I've had to disable the wheel to avoid blowing my ear drums out accidently when the screen is off.
4. It locks up when booting up or even a reboot quite often, I have to do a forced reboot about once every 2 days.
5. This is more my own fault, but a Hold switch would have been nice since the it's really easy to register a click on the buttons with something as simple as trying to take the player out of a pocket.

I'll put up with the sound being a bit different with the A45, having to retag my entire collection to ID3 2.3 and having to redo the embedded album art for half my collection because of odd design choices by Sony for ID3 2.4 and Progressive compression jpgs,

But hopefully some firmware updates fix up this by the time I get my Phantoms because they really shine with the M7.
Dear friend,

You could do a factory restore or send the crash files to us for checking: Android-com.fiio.music-file-crash
The volume could still be added after setting the Volume limit option?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #356 of 792
Dear friend,

You could do a factory restore or send the crash files to us for checking: Android-com.fiio.music-file-crash
The volume could still be added after setting the Volume limit option?

Best regards
There doesn't appear to be any files in that directory unfortunately, I'll check again the next time I encounter the crashes I reported.

Yes, that is correct, I set the Volume Limit to 20. However I was able to increase the volume using the scroll wheel on: Home Screen, Music App, as well as Screen off.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #357 of 792
There doesn't appear to be any files in that directory unfortunately, I'll check again the next time I encounter the crashes I reported.

Yes, that is correct, I set the Volume Limit to 20. However I was able to increase the volume using the scroll wheel on: Home Screen, Music App, as well as Screen off.
Dear friend,

Do you mean the fixed volume setting? It is not the volume limit option like max volume. But should be custom volume when turning on the FiiO Music APP. We will fix the wrong translation in later update. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards
upload_2018-7-5_18-29-48.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 5, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #358 of 792
So I am kind of confused about Fiio's pricing structure for their current DAP's.

You have the M7 which comes from what I assumed was Fiio's budget line of DAP's based on the previous cheap M3. But it sells for quite a bit more than the X1-II and about the same or a little more than the X3-III. So how can you sell an apparent budget line DAP for more than a higher line DAP?

Also what does this mean for the X series going forward? Do you drop the X1 and X3 variants and stick with the X5 and X7 variants in the higher end line or do you produce a more expensive X3 variant in the future?

Finally will their be higher end M series DAP's released in the future? It will interesting to see how Fiio navigates their lines and model numbers going forward.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #359 of 792
So I am kind of confused about Fiio's pricing structure for their current DAP's.

You have the M7 which comes from what I assumed was Fiio's budget line of DAP's based on the previous cheap M3. But it sells for quite a bit more than the X1-II and about the same or a little more than the X3-III. So how can you sell an apparent budget line DAP for more than a higher line DAP?

Also what does this mean for the X series going forward? Do you drop the X1 and X3 variants and stick with the X5 and X7 variants in the higher end line or do you produce a more expensive X3 variant in the future?

Finally will their be higher end M series DAP's released in the future? It will interesting to see how Fiio navigates their lines and model numbers going forward.
ALL of FiiO's next DAPs will be labelled with a model number starting with an M

Personally I think they priced the M7 correctly. To me it sounds a bit better than the X3iii (and better than the X5iii to be honest), and given the touch interface it's more intuitive to navigate than the X3iii.

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #360 of 792
ALL of FiiO's next DAPs will be labelled with a model number starting with an M

Personally I think they priced the M7 correctly. To me it sounds a bit better than the X3iii (and better than the X5iii to be honest), and given the touch interface it's more intuitive to navigate than the X3iii.

Good to know though I pulled the trigger on a Shanling M0 and should have it next week. I will audition the M7 when I get the chance but I have had such bad experiences with the Fiio DAP's I have bought in the past (returned them all) I just can't do it again. Plus I really don't want to have to also haul around a portable DAC/amp to make up for the low power of the M7. The M0 offers twice the power for half the price. Nough said

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. In this case Fiio releasing another incomplete DAP which is all they seem able to do would be the definition of insanity. I will keep my sanity thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back