Meet The FiiO M7: An Exynos 7270-Powered HiFi Music Player
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #331 of 792
Shanlings are well made solid players, I tested the m3, beautiful player but not my cup of tea, no wow factor for me, too laid back and rolled off highs.
GUI and specs absolutely great.
M3 is the older version of the M3S correct?

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #332 of 792
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #333 of 792
Yes, but I tested the m3s.. Have edited my post.
I only tried it very briefly so I can't remember the sound but it was definitely not wowing. I though the X3iii was better. What I didn't like was the navigation with its side wheel but that's just a personal nitpick.

The M7 is definitely nicer with a touch screen.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #334 of 792
Funny how the M0 isn't called the M1 2nd gen. They are both similar devices right?

Shanling called it the M0 because it is smaller than the M1 and it offers more features than the M1 and supposedly better sound quality. Pretty much better across the board than the M1, with better battery life, more power, support for LDAC and cheaper. It looks like Shanling will be exploring the Nano sized DAP market further with the huge interest in the M0. I tried to get a commitment from Shanling on other possible DAP releases with the new touch OS and features of the M0 but no go. If there was a new M1 or M2 variant coming out this year I might have waited for one of them. Though Shanling did confirm that the all new DAP's would be using their new in house touch screen OS.

I would have been more stoked about the M0 if it was the size of the M1 or replacing it as I have big hands and the added size would be nice.

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #335 of 792
Shanlings are well made solid players, I tested the m3s, beautiful player but not my cup of tea, no wow factor for me, too laid back and rolled off highs.
GUI and specs absolutely great.

Yeah Shanling does also make some mid to high end home audio gear and I suspect they were going for the more audiophile type sound signature on the more expensive M3S. I think like Fiio they are going with a more musical less analytical sound signature on the cheaper DAP's. Since all the new Shanling DAP's going forward will be touch screen with their in-house designed OS it will interesting to compare Fiio's UI to Shanlings.

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #336 of 792
Yeah Shanling does also make some mid to high end home audio gear and I suspect they were going for the more audiophile type sound signature on the more expensive M3S. I think like Fiio they are going with a more musical less analytical sound signature on the cheaper DAP's.
While I understand why they do so and Im sure a lot of people will appreciate the move, personally I don't like it.

I think the sound of the M3S of more reflective of Shanling's own house sound though because it doesn't sound like most high end audiophile gear, at least the ones I have tried before like the TOTL ones from Audio GD, Chord, Schiit etc.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #337 of 792
But if the two end up being close the M0 will win based on price,size and twice the power (80 mW vs 40 mW into 32 ohms). I think there is some sour grapes on your part as you are calling interest in the M0 hype when as you have admitted you haven't heard it or any other Shanling DAP's and I have. If you get a chance give the Shanlings a listen as they are on par and maybe slightly better than the Cayin DAP's in my opinion based on demoing both.
It's funny, and I can see from what I wrote how you might take it the wrong way - so I'll explain.

I specifically wrote:
I guess the hype for individual devices comes down to the amount of advertising they do, and the social media influencers they use

What I should have written was:
I guess the hype for individual devices comes down to the amount of advertising manufacturers do, and the social media influencers they use

It was meant as a generalisation and not referring to Shanling specifically. Its actually good marketing - the best companies do it rather well. Get demo units to people who will actively plug their units and essentially write their social media copy for them. Virtually all the manufacturers do it.

And this section was about me specifically:
But I've always been more about avoiding hype and just relying on good old-fashioned volume matched comparisons, and talking about my own experience with features, GUI etc

You'll note that when I review - I post the link, and I answer questions - but I don't plug the product, I don't hit threads with page after page of photos, and I don't actively hit social media. Its not my style.

The surprising thing for me is the companies who still send me product to review. They know that I won't build hype - just merely give my thoughts on how I see the product. I guess they also know the amount of people I have following me on HF - which could create hype/news - but I don't do it deliberately.

Anyway - thought I would explain it. Poor choice of word above, and I can see how it would skew your understanding of what I said. Still - mentioning "sour grapes" stung a bit - nothing could be further from my mind. I have no favourite manufacturers. I just like the products which suit my personal tastes regardless of who they are.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #338 of 792

You'll note that when I review - I post the link, and I answer questions - but I don't plug the product, I don't hit threads with page after page of photos, and I don't actively hit social media. Its not my style.

The surprising thing for me is the companies who still send me product to review. They know that I won't build hype - just merely give my thoughts on how I see the product. I guess they also know the amount of people I have following me on HF - which could create hype/news - but I don't do it deliberately.
You're too modest Brooko :p

You write a lot of great detailed reviews, a LOT of them.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #339 of 792
It's funny, and I can see from what I wrote how you might take it the wrong way - so I'll explain.

I specifically wrote:

It was meant as a generalisation and not referring to Shanling specifically. Its actually good marketing - the best companies do it rather well. Get demo units to people who will actively plug their units and essentially write their social media copy for them. Virtually all the manufacturers do it.

Anyway - thought I would explain it. Poor choice of word above, and I can see how it would skew your understanding of what I said. Still - mentioning "sour grapes" stung a bit - nothing could be further from my mind. I have no favourite manufacturers. I just like the products which suit my personal tastes regardless of who they are.

Always glad to see people stand up and use social media the right way. Have followed you for more than a year, mostly through head-do as a guest. You have been true to your style of reviewing. Keep up the great work and continue being the way you are.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #340 of 792

I specifically wrote:

Hey it is all good, it would nice if someone like you who does review gear took a look at some Shanling DAP's since they fall in line with offerings from Fiio and Cayin and yes even Sony. Unfortunately with my work schedule and family stuff I don't have as much time as use to for demoing gear and it is one of my favorite things to do.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #341 of 792
I never solicit review samples. Keeps me neutral. If someone who knows them can suggest me as a reviewer I’d be more than happy to take a look at one of their products.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #342 of 792
I'm quite curious about how the 20hr playback time is calculated against. I got ~15 hours running through 320 kbps MP3 files.

I quite like the sound especially when paired with my Spartan IVs, but I'm shelving this until some more firmware updates coming down the line in favour of the Sony A45 for a couple reasons:
1. The battery life doesn't seem to be indicative of playing MP3 > 128 kbps, I get 15 as stated above as opposed to the 37-40~ on the A45
2. When the Music App crashes, it requires a full reboot to work again and it's simply not clear that the app crashed as opposed to you having swiped back to the main menu
3. The volume limit option does not work, I've had to disable the wheel to avoid blowing my ear drums out accidently when the screen is off.
4. It locks up when booting up or even a reboot quite often, I have to do a forced reboot about once every 2 days.
5. This is more my own fault, but a Hold switch would have been nice since the it's really easy to register a click on the buttons with something as simple as trying to take the player out of a pocket.

I'll put up with the sound being a bit different with the A45, having to retag my entire collection to ID3 2.3 and having to redo the embedded album art for half my collection because of odd design choices by Sony for ID3 2.4 and Progressive compression jpgs,

But hopefully some firmware updates fix up this by the time I get my Phantoms because they really shine with the M7.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #343 of 792
I'm quite curious about how the 20hr playback time is calculated against. I got ~15 hours running through 320 kbps MP3 files.

They state it in their specs, and include the audio file they used as well:

Battery Life & Test Conditions
3.5mm headphone output:≥20 h
Volume 15 Load M3 open earbuds (27 Ω)
EQ OFF Screen OFF
Test File MP3 44.1kHz/16bit
Bluetooth output:>26 h
Volume 60 Load 32Ω
Test File MP3 44.1kHz/16bit Screen OFF
Battery life test file download link click here to download

If you take real world use with screen on and off all day, then it will come up a lot shorter.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #344 of 792

I quite like the sound especially when paired with my Spartan IVs, but I'm shelving this until some more firmware updates coming down the line in favour of the Sony A45 for a couple reasons:
1. The battery life doesn't seem to be indicative of playing MP3 > 128 kbps, I get 15 as stated above as opposed to the 37-40~ on the A45
2. When the Music App crashes, it requires a full reboot to work again and it's simply not clear that the app crashed as opposed to you having swiped back to the main menu
3. The volume limit option does not work, I've had to disable the wheel to avoid blowing my ear drums out accidently when the screen is off.
4. It locks up when booting up or even a reboot quite often, I have to do a forced reboot about once every 2 days.
5. This is more my own fault, but a Hold switch would have been nice since the it's really easy to register a click on the buttons with something as simple as trying to take the player out of a pocket.

I'll put up with the sound being a bit different with the A45, having to retag my entire collection to ID3 2.3 and having to redo the embedded album art for half my collection because of odd design choices by Sony for ID3 2.4 and Progressive compression jpgs,

But hopefully some firmware updates fix up this by the time I get my Phantoms because they really shine with the M7.

I managed to get 16 hours and 37 minutes when I tested it. This was with a bunch of 96kHz/24-bit files, and Pinnacle P1 as the load on volume 39/60 (the closest volume-match to all other devices I've tested).

Regarding point 5, there is a key-lock option within the device settings that'll allow you to disable them when the screen is off

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #345 of 792

They state it in their specs, and include the audio file they used as well:

Battery Life & Test Conditions
3.5mm headphone output:≥20 h
Volume 15 Load M3 open earbuds (27 Ω)
EQ OFF Screen OFF
Test File MP3 44.1kHz/16bit
Bluetooth output:>26 h
Volume 60 Load 32Ω
Test File MP3 44.1kHz/16bit Screen OFF
Battery life test file download link click here to download

If you take real world use with screen on and off all day, then it will come up a lot shorter.

Thanks, my setup is similar, but with volume @ 20 and both 11 & 20 Ω IEMS. Screen off except for starting the player and turning it off. 16 h would be pretty decent for most people, but I use it at least 4 hours a day, mostly due to a commite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back