MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #256 of 549

Quote:
I listened to the T50 briefly and I liked it.  Of course one has to live with something longer term to see the warts, but overall there was nothing overt to offend.  The highs were a bit tipped up, but that was in the context of the Beyer demo setup, so what can you judge in that context?  They sounded to me like they had promise.  The tipped up highs did not sound like a "peaked" response, but rather a broad hf rise.  That's desirable in the right context.  Overt peaks cannot be tamed properly and are deal breakers, but a broad rise is easily tamable.  That's my two cents.  WyldRage, I am looking forward to hearing your long term evaluation of these cans.

My thanks. I was already planning to compare them to my ATH-ESW9, but the handful of opinions in this thread made me consider cancelling my pre-order... but I guess I'm just too curious for that.

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #257 of 549

Quote:
I would love to hear the Liquid Gold (I assume this is the pure SS amp of his) with some LCD-2's someday :D

Yes it is a Solid State amp. I can't wait to listen to the LCD-2 on the LG. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #258 of 549

Quote:

[size=x-small]LCD-2 - As many have said over and over again in this forum, these are really amazing headphones that feel extremely well engineered and amazingly executed.  The updated foam on the newer models was a great improvement.  As for the clamping, I thought they were slightly tight but once stretched out a little I could see them as being super comfortable and easy to kick back and enjoy music with.  I enjoyed these so much that I actually bought an ALO cable since they were at a great show price even though I don't have my pair yet.  [/size]

Make sure to double check that they are wired properly.  One of the ALO cables on an LCD-2 at CanJam was wired out of phase.

-Ed

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #259 of 549
Well, I plunged in my couch, laptop on my lap, K701 on my head wired to the P-1u, Sinead whispering "Am I not your girl?" into my ears and read this whole thread with much joy and interest.
Thanks to all of you for the posts so all of us that would have loved but couldn't be there had a little Can-Jam too! 
beerchug.gif

My wallet hates you all though! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #260 of 549
Yeah I read about that.  This was a cable that he pulled out of one of his bins.  But I also have no idea how to check if a cable is wired to be properly in phase or not.

Quote:
Make sure to double check that they are wired properly.  One of the ALO cables on an LCD-2 at CanJam was wired out of phase.

-Ed

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #261 of 549

Quote:
Yeah I read about that.  This was a cable that he pulled out of one of his bins.  But I also have no idea how to check if a cable is wired to be properly in phase or not.

If you know what the pin-out is supposed to be, you can simply "ring it out" with your ohm meter, but it's usually faster to just plug them in to a mono source and if when listening, your drivers sound out of phase, you know it's wrong.  Alternatively, whilst wearing the cans, hold the TRS plug in your hands and place an ohmmeter's probes on the tip and ring.  you should hear an out of phase click, if you do, then it's wired correctly.

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #262 of 549

Quote:
^^ i think they are talking about the Rudistor Chroma 1 somethings Kevin..

I told Uncle Wilson to try the Chroma 1 with some bowls or flats, instead of the bagel pads. It might make for
some interesting changes.

Special thanks to everyone who had a hand in making this meet come to fruition. Beautiful hotel and nice rooms,
along with close proximity to the airport. The musical part of our presentation was one of the best live performances
that I've seen since Emerson, Lake, and Palmer at the Garden 
smile_phones.gif
It was great to finally meet the "infamous" Spritzer, Duggeh, and Kevin Gilmore.

I had 2 travels from hell, coming and going to Canjam, but it still was worth every minute of the show.
Won myself a pair of the new Shure E5 series and got a lovely hi-tech cardboard Jack Wu headphone
stand that I will cherish until it's final days.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #265 of 549

Quote:
Wow, that would be what I might expect to hear from someone who popped the cans on their head in an unfamiliar environment, listening briefly to unfamiliar material, through an unfamiliar reproduction chain, in a very noisy environment.  Further strikes me possibly as one who is accustomed to listening to something with a peaky, tipped up response profile, who considers that to be "normal."

1. FACT:  The HF does NOT "roll off" on the LCD-2s.  There is a designed in -10db shelf above 1kHz right where it is supposed to be to voice the LCD-2 for the average HRTF in a diffuse field environment.  
  2. FACT:  The LCD-2 reveals subtle HF inner and low level details like no other headphone I've ever heard.  People jumped all over me for saying that early on about these cans.  Now as more people are spending quality time with these cans, they are starting to say the same thing.  
  3. FACT: Tyll's objective measurements of the LCD-2 bear out all of what I just said.

FACT:  You are mistakenly ranting against me and in favor of some cans that you apparently feel you must defend against any and all perceived attackers.  Nice of you to make assumptions about who I am or what I listen to while touting your own prescience about the FOTM-2.  I haven't even listened to them, so I have nothing to say about them.

FACT:  I actually quoted the post about the Chroma 1 headphones that I was referring to and made a comment based upon my own listening experience that was similar to the prior poster.  Maybe you should pay more attention before jumping down my throat and making all kinds of assumptions that were unwarranted.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #266 of 549
Hmmm, sounds a little confusing but I'll give it a try.  Btw, what do you mean by 'ring it out' with the ohm meter?  I'm guessing that I can just plug the cable straight into the amp w/out the headphones attached and measure with my ohm meter, but I'm just not sure what readings to look for.

Quote:
If you know what the pin-out is supposed to be, you can simply "ring it out" with your ohm meter, but it's usually faster to just plug them in to a mono source and if when listening, your drivers sound out of phase, you know it's wrong.  Alternatively, whilst wearing the cans, hold the TRS plug in your hands and place an ohmmeter's probes on the tip and ring.  you should hear an out of phase click, if you do, then it's wired correctly.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #267 of 549

Quote:
Skylab said:
This is what I truly do love about head-fi - one man's "smooth" is another man's "no high frequencies"
biggrin.gif

Indeed! It speaks volumes about our ability (or lack of) to hear the top end correctly, or rather our perception of it.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #268 of 549

When you receive the LCD-2. You just need to compare pinouts with the stock cable (using a multimeter).
Quote:
Hmmm, sounds a little confusing but I'll give it a try.  Btw, what do you mean by 'ring it out' with the ohm meter?  I'm guessing that I can just plug the cable straight into the amp w/out the headphones attached and measure with my ohm meter, but I'm just not sure what readings to look for.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #269 of 549
Some photos from the show

Balancing act connected to a K701 which actually sounded quite amazing!

Luxman P1-U w/ T1

Apex Peak w/ Volcano Supply

Apex Pinnacle

Audeze LCD-2 in all it's glory

Cavalli Liquid Fire

Kevin Gilmore with his awesome T2

Headamp BHSE + O2

Hifiman HE-6

Woo Audio WES

Woo Audio WA5

Woo Energizer connected to Woo 5 amp

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #270 of 549

Quote:

The easiest thing is to put the headphones on your head listening to a mono source.  If it's out of phase, you should easily hear it.
Do you know what out of phase sounds like?

With an ohmmeter (multimeter set to measure continuity or resistance) you test the continuity from each xlr pin to the TRS plug, making sure the right pin# is wired to the right T,R, or S position on the plug.  If this is greek to you, have a friend help you.  If you're in Portland, I'll be glad to help you.
k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back