MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #106 of 549

Quote:

thanks for all your input.  Im not suprised at your comments on the px100II.  I own the px100 and am always touting them as absolutely amazing headphones considering their price and size, and i have found doing my own ameteur tests that they are much flatter than anything else ive ever tried. 

I wonder if anyone could post any comparisons of LCD-2 vs ATH W1000X.   I dont know that these two are necessarily comparable, but none the less.. id really appreciate it :)

I also think the px100 are awesome for their price.

I listened to both the LCD-2 and the W1000X and found the W1000X to be more comfortable and better looking, but the LCD-2 had more detail and bass impact.  The LCD-2 was very heavy and slightly uncomfortable to me but sounded very good.  Each headphone was on a different amp but these are my thoughts on the general characteristics of each phone.

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #108 of 549
Wow - looking at those pictures and reading impressions is fantastic - thanks to everyone. I have to try this before I die....

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #112 of 549

Quote:
Thanks for all the pics and impressions I really should have gone it was only 40 minutes away.

You're kidding me, right? 
mad.gif

Anyway, reading these impressions is always interesting.  Thanks to those who did the work of sharing photos.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #114 of 549
Thanks for all the pics/impressions dudes and gals.
By the way, has the location for the next CanJam been announced?

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #115 of 549

You're kidding me, right? 
mad.gif

Anyway, reading these impressions is always interesting.  Thanks to those who did the work of sharing photos.

Yeah I know.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #116 of 549

Quote:
Anyone there compared the LCD2 to the Stax flagship models? Does the LCD2 compare well, or Stax still rules?

Quote:
X2. Dying to hear comparison between SE007 and LCD2

well I can tell you one person who has made their choice - 1 week after Kabeer got his LCD2, this pops up on the bay ..... can't be coincidence 
very_evil_smiley.gif

..dB

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #117 of 549
I want to thank everyone for their excellent pics and impressions. The LCD-2 is extremely tempting. I just wonder if my Gilmore Lite would be good enough for them? If so it might be worth a try. Can anyone do any predictions?

Thanks again!

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #118 of 549
I made the rounds today and snapped a few pix, but not as many as I should have. I did a quick upload and noticed my
cheap camera lost it's date. Oh well...

The LCD-2 & Cavalli "Liquid Fire" Combo: My favorite listen of everything non-Stax I heard at the meet. The Cavalli matched the LCD-2 better than the Woo WA6 next to it, I was impressed with the build quality on the L.F. prototype as well as the sound.

The LCD-2 has exceptional tone from top to bottom. The soundstage was crisp, but fairly small. Not quite Stax clarity, but close. The build was very nice and proffesional. The downside was the ergonomics; the cable is stiffer and more microphonic than it should be, the jacks hang below the cups enough to be a slight nuisance and it's pretty heavy. All in all it's a winner though, and on my list.

Thunderpants on a very clean DynaMite build, with Nikongod's "Silver Ghost" amp in the background.
I love the DynaMite sound and it went well with the thunderpants. From a brief listen, it had the ortho sound tuned pretty well. Not at the LCD-2 level but close. One of the nicest sounding personal setups at the meet. The TP build quality was exceptional. 

I finally got to hear a Stacker, but not with any headphones I'm familiar with. It had the Cavalli "sound", but that's about all the judgement I could make at the meet. I got a chance to talk with Alex about the Stacker and it doesn't seem very likely my wish of getting to build one will happen  :frowning2:  . The build of this Stacker surely was impressive.

Kevin Gilmore's T2. This was the most impressive piece of hardware at the meet for a DIY geek. Wow...just wow.
It sang like a bird too. If I didn't have a BHSE on order I would start emailing KG, begging to be let on the DIY list.
I might start emailing anyway ...

Besides the comments with pix, I heard some stuff I liked and some I can scratch off the wish list.

Beyer T1 - Nice phones and I can hear what the hype is about, sort of. But they aren't for me. They didn't
clearly beat their natural competitor, the HD800, in any area and they were pretty convincingly beat by the HD800's
soundstage and air. So I saved some money I was going to spend.

Jade Electrostats - I heard them on the Woo WES and the Woo energizer driven by a WA5. I've been intrigued by what I've
read about the Jade and it was great to get a chance to listen. They sounded almost like they were in the Stax family, but not quite.
They have a sense of color that none of the Stax I've heard have. After a brief time with them I still don't know whether I'm considering them
or not. The Woo amps were far more impressive to me than I would have imagined. Both the WES and the WA5 are awesome. I didn't
think I generally like the 300b sound, but the WA5 was particularly impressive. I'm not in the market for an amp, but if I was I'd put Woo
on the short list.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #119 of 549
 no the gilmore lite  won't be good enough..

bada_bing..
wish you had plugged the LCD-2 into that Stacker2...Would have been interesting to hear your thoughts on that combination. I thought it was a match made in heaven. So is the Liquid fire combo..Have heard both these setups and must say you can't go wrong with either of them.

Very nice pics btw...thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #120 of 549
Just got back to my hotel after the meet. Wonderful time, and a good venue (although the location was a bit middle-of-nowhereish). I have about 60 pictures from the event, but unfortunately I seem to have forgotten to bring my memory card reader, so they'll wait on posting until I get back to East Lansing on Wednesday night.

My favorite in show was definitely the BeyerDynamic T1, which I intend to order from Headroom as soon as I get back. The Blue Hawaii paired with Stax 007 was also quite good, although I'm not an electrostatic fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back