Meelectronics M9: WOW
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok. I'm going to try not to rave too much in this thread.

But let's start from the beginning.

When I received the Meelectronics M9. I was disappointed. Extremely disappointed. The bass was far too overpowering, completely over the mids and even creeping into the treble.

But after 50 hours of burn in. I think I may have discovered my favorite sound signature.

I love them.

Their bass is tight and impactful, without muddying up the rest of the spectrum. The mids are slightly recessed, but still quite good. And the treble is simply great, in both detail and extension.

I'll get a full review up comparing these some other headphones and IEMs soon (as in when my Eterna review copy gets here).

Oops. My rave meter just hit max. Gotta get out of here.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 34
Okay, I'm definitely not imagining this.

Could it be that I just found the perfect IEM for me?

Oh, and I'm using the Head-Direct biflanges on these. That's the only way I can get a great seal.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 34
i hope this isn't too much of a bump, but i am currently experiencing something similar to LeonWho. I'm not really disappointed as the sound is good and the look and feel of the M9's is really great, but i do feel that the mids are a little recessed, too recessed for my taste. that's why i'll now give em a night's worth of burn in to see if that will improve them!
if it doesn't, i'll add some 10-20hrs and hope for results. i will post here if burn-in changes anything!

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 34
Another thumbs up for these inexpensive IEMs. They are an excellent value, and while tend to be somewhat bassy, it's not a bad thing. I experimented with several tips, and settled on the PR1 Pro bi-flanges, which really deliver the best sound to my ears. I would recommend these to anyone shopping within this price point. And excellent fit kit too. But if you have any around, always try out other tips with the M9s.

My view re burn-in is that all dynamic driver phones need some time on the burn-in machine. They do improve, even out a bit after 40-50 hours.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 34
If a 20$ IEM is perfect for you
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 34
OK i think you guys (and average_joe) convinced me to give one more chance to these. I briefly listened to them out of the box, and had similar impressions than the OP, then straifght to the drawer. Gonna burn them in and try them with those lelong biflanges i have been advised to use with them (by average joe and someone else, they are similar to the pr1pro biflanges)

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 34
The thing is. The fit has to be absolutely perfect for these to work. That's why I sold/traded them. If you get it perfect, they'll sound amazing. Less than perfect? Muddy.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 34
That's funny because when I first heard them I thought the same thing, but instead of giving it some burn in I automatically put them back in its retail box and returned them.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 34
I bought a pair last week (the M9P) after seeing the Facebook promo that should be here tomorrow, provided that USPS doesn't screw up and route my package to the sorting facility in another city like they did Friday.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 34
Had a similar experience with the M6s - wasn't very impressed and found myself going back to my old sennheiser cans to start with, which had more bass. After leaving them burning overnight for several days running and pretty constant use (so much more convenient at work, I didn't care about the sound) they've opened right up. The sound quality is really eye-opening, detailed and the soundscape seems to have gotten considerably wider.

Very happy with these, I was going to sell them after getting more expensive ones but I really don't think I will now.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is. The fit has to be absolutely perfect for these to work. That's why I sold/traded them. If you get it perfect, they'll sound amazing. Less than perfect? Muddy.

and how can you tell what the perfect fit is?
i tried the biflanges, they are much too big, went with the small ones, found them to be fitting, then tried medium sized and they're a bit more comfortable than the small ones, but the small ones go deeper in the ear canal (well, duh), i don't know if that's better or worse. i find the medium ones to be comfy and they isolate well, i do have a strong bass with recessed mids, though, so maybe i haven't found the perfect fit yet.

maybe i'm gonna cut up some foam plugs and make some nice custom foamies tomorrow...
smily_headphones1.gif

like these:
vpmazjl4.jpg

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 34
I think we started our MEE threads at the same time? Anyway as I said in the other thread, amplification is what these things need. Good fit or course, but with a little amplification they REALLY shine. Like shocking-shine.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these clearer than the CX300's? I'm weary of taking the plunge at 20 bucks for yet another pair of muddy sounding phones. These look tempting though.

No comparison between these and the CX300 in terms of clarity though I think the CX250 are tighter and cleaner than both in terms of low end response. But the M9 still has some of the best treble I've heard for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back